Sponsored

End of the Line

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Cuss and discuss:

Well, this video will have you thinking about the not so distant future, V8s, value, collectibility, obsolecence, nostalgia, end of an era, change, etc.
Sponsored

RRAD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 5.0 Coupe
This is why I am in the market for a mustang GT. I really want to own a somewhat modern RWD V8 before they are no longer an option. I was considering getting an electric car instead.
Same. I thought long and hard about a Mustang 5.0 or Tesla after there was a mess up with the EB order. Came to the conclusion that my next vehicle after this will likely be electric.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Great vid, thank you for sharing.
One of the reasons I went with my recently purchased 2020 GT. Hard to replicate the feeling of the 5.0 Coyote. So many moved to turbo V6ā€™s and turbo 4ā€™s, that will soon be electric.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Exactly the reason I picked mine up. I've also decided to daily drive it, since it makes every day better, and there's no guarantee of how many tomorrows I will get before some regulation or massive price spike in a needed commodity (i.e gasoline) ruins the fun.

Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I was 100% certain when I purchased my 2021 GT that it will be the last gas powered vehicle I will own. In 6-10 years it will be difficult to find a full gas powered vehicle.

I also understand the performance coming from the EV side -- but this commentary is spot on, they are just smartphones on wheels that you play like a video game. I also know the governments and society are not going to allow 8 second cars zipping around everywhere with 17 year old drivers and soccer moms late for tournaments behind the wheel. There will be software guardrails put in very quickly (after a few accidents) and cars will become only about transport.

Likely that will get into super-expensive high-tech vehicles that will be offered as a service (like Uber) and the idea of personal vehicle ownership will be gone. -- no fun, no prestige, too expensive to buy, too expensive to maintain.

Smoke 'em (tires) while you can.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
wow...thought things were depressing before I watched the video! Glad I'm on the waiting list for a new factory 2021 GTCS. I've been kicking this can down the road since 2019 when my 06 GT was showing her age....trans went in 2020. Unfortunately she was sacrificed as a trade in for a new family Explorer XLT.
This will likely be the first and last factory order I place. Feel fortunate that I'm only paying MSRP. Seen many models going well over. My goal is to get our 68 project stang and new 2021 GTCS side by side for next year while there is hopefully still gas available.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
In 1901, the Los Angeles Times declared ā€œThe electric automobile will quickly and easily take precedence over all otherā€ types of motor vehicles. "If the claims which Mr. Edison makes for his new battery be not overstated, there is not much doubt that it will make a fortune for somebody.ā€

This is all a big joke guys. Donā€™t buy into it.

https://www.realclearenergy.org/art...5025.html?mc_cid=8f7a8c7594&mc_eid=891d8cfdc0
They were right we are starting to see it now....:)

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I want to have this one paid off in 3 years or so, keep it, and grab an S650. Would be fine if these were my last two cars for a long time. I'm planning on collector's items.

I would like my next/last Mustang to be a Shelby model.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In 1901, the Los Angeles Times declared ā€œThe electric automobile will quickly and easily take precedence over all otherā€ types of motor vehicles. "If the claims which Mr. Edison makes for his new battery be not overstated, there is not much doubt that it will make a fortune for somebody.ā€

https://www.realclearenergy.org/art...5025.html?mc_cid=8f7a8c7594&mc_eid=891d8cfdc0
Electric cars are getting better every day, whereas gasoline cars have pretty much peaked. The situation was much different in Edison's day. So no, I don't think it's a big joke. The infrastructure thing is much lamented, but what do you think people said about the gasoline car in the early 1900's when gas stations were few and far between? The infrastructure will be built to support the product, just like it did for gas in the beginning. Electric demand will increase regardless as the population grows, so it's not that hard to factor in the increased demand as we build new power plants. It's also tempting to think that lithium ion batteries will be the only type that we ever use, which is unlikely given their high mineral requirement list. They're just the best we have right now.

Do I think electric will be able to replace 500 million cars by the end of the decade? Nope. But I definitely believe a lot of these companies will stop developing gas cars completely, and eventually stop making new ones.

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It will take a decade or 2 to build a "standardized" charging network. Time wise it takes a lot of time to fully charge and the driving range is currently pretty limited. The OP makes this sound like it's a light switch proposition, here today, gone tomorrow.

This is going to be a long term transition at best. I'm not the least bit spooked or worried about one persons predictions.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
... There will be software guardrails put in very quickly (after a few accidents) and cars will become only about transport...

-- no fun, no prestige, too expensive to buy, too expensive to maintain.

Smoke 'em (tires) while you can.
Reminds me of the song Red Barchetta by Rush. We're living in the pre "motor-law" era, but it won't last. šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sierra, ā€˜21 Expedition, ā€˜22 Mach 1
I think by the end of the decade you will not be able to buy a new gas vehicle, but they will be around for a while.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Car makers are going to do what the consumer wants. Full stop. Any product has to be purchased to be produced long term. All these companies can talk about what they are going to do but if the demand is not there itā€™s all just talk. The consumer controls this transition.

The biggest problem with electric technology is it doesnā€™t solve any problem. How again is electric better than ICE?
I suppose we'll see in the long term whether it is all smoke and mirrors, or electric actually becomes as viable as gas from an economics perspective. I certainly don't see things like electric big rigs or planes coming any time soon regardless though.

To answer your question though, we just have to turn to thermodynamics. The theoretical efficiency limits for internal combustion engines are around 46%. We can say 50% to be generous. In real world, you're looking at figures more around 35-40% on the latest engines. There's not much more room to go. Electric cars are vastly superior in this regard. Efficiency limits are in the 90% range, and even assuming thermal stress on the batteries, real world is 80% and above. That's a huge gain. Efficiency in a basic sense is just a measurement of how much of the energy you're expending goes to actually producing kinetic energy. Electric cars can also perform energy capture on decel/braking whereas gas cars can't, although I believe that's factored into the efficiency equation already.

So the tl;dr, electric cars are far better at using energy for the desired purpose, which is moving around 3d space while you play on your phone. That's why the "electric cars are just as dirty" argument is weak to me. You're taking away a secondary pollution source, and on top of that power stations are far more efficient at turning fossil fuel energy to electricity than a gas engine is at turning explosions into momentum. Add to that the possibility to use carbon neutral sources like nuclear, and electric is just...better. Full stop. The question is whether or not we can build a battery with the needed capacity without requiring rare earth metals for the anode and cathode, and do it all economically.

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic

This is going to be a gradual shift to all electric over probably a 30-40 year period, in my estimation. I suspect few new ICE cars will be for sale on or after 2035 or so (or at least selection will be greatly reduced). Then, you need another 20 years or so to use and retire most ICE cars from that point forward. So, in that time period a lot of the issues the article presents can likely be solved for or overcome (e.g., beefing up electric grids and so on). I could be wrong, but that's my guess. The author also states: "But despite lots of government push, there still isnā€™t enough consumer pull." Here's the thing - that doesn't matter. If all the manufacturers do as they are planning - to drop ICE car sales over time - the consumer will either have to get on board or learn to ride a bike (or walk). The consumer won't have an alternative to buy.
Sponsored

Last edited: