Sponsored

Ecoboost top speed

flay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Hi, I just tried a few days ago my 2017 Ecoboost on the motorway and found that the top speed on GPS was 199 kph (123 mph). It just didn't pull after that.
It's automatic, Roush air intake, Mishimoto radiator, ex-Avis car, from California...is it any chance that the top speed is limited by some legal or special order reasons?

What is yous?
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
In the 'states, Ecoboost PP cars are limited by the computer to 149 MPH. IIRC, non PP Ecoboosts are limited to 125 MPH (the radiator has inadequate cooling capacity to go faster). Euro spec Ecoboosts are identical to the US Performance Package, except with a 3.31 rear diff instead of the 3.52 we get here in the US...

There's a video on Youtube of a dude getting an Ecoboost Convertible automatic up to 149 MPH on the Autobahn (it's obvious he hit the electronically limited speed).

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
mine top at 240kph....unless you're a cop. In which case "I've only gone the speed limit officer"

boostaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium 6MT
So I've been searching for a way to remove the 123 mph limit on a non pp ecoboost with the ford performance tune and the pp radiator installed. Is this possible while retaining the fp tune??? I do not want to switch to another tune at this point in time.

I spoke with Cobb & they told me you have to load one of their tunes in order to raise/remove the speed limiter. You cant use their tuner to remover the speed limiter only.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Anyone have any good video footage of a non-PP EB hitting the 125mph limiter? I keep hearing this but haven't seen video of it happening.

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I do not have a speed limiter as mine is off and I am not sure about the your radiator cannot handle more than 125, but I have had mine up to 139 which was my max as I let out of it.

PJ Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Personally the max I ever did (when FBO on RON98) was 275kph (170mph) on the German Autobahn. We had a customer we thought could pass 300kph (186mph). He has E30 and bigger turbo. In the end he maxed out at 290kph. The 3.31 gears we have in the Ecoboost here is just too tall IMO. I think a 3.73 would help a lot. And the aero of the mustang definitely isn't helping either at that point.

I'm in the middle of fine tuning a build on my own car. If it's all dialed in, first thing we'll do is go for that 300kph pass :p I'm not sure I've got the balls for 200mph though.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Personally the max I ever did (when FBO on RON98) was 275kph (170mph) on the German Autobahn. We had a customer we thought could pass 300kph (186mph). He has E30 and bigger turbo. In the end he maxed out at 290kph. The 3.31 gears we have in the Ecoboost here is just too tall IMO. I think a 3.73 would help a lot. And the aero of the mustang definitely isn't helping either at that point.

I'm in the middle of fine tuning a build on my own car. If it's all dialed in, first thing we'll do is go for that 300kph pass :p I'm not sure I've got the balls for 200mph though.
In theory, the 3.31 rear end should give you a higher top speed. The theoretical max top speed of the PP Ecoboost is around 204 MPH or so.. (i.e. redline in 6th geear). Whether the engine has the grunt to push the Mustang body (with an unknown drag coeffecient) higher is a different matter...There's websites that will give you theoretical top speed predictions (it's a calculator tool). They will have to know engine redline RPM, Final drive ratio of the transmission, and the reduction ratio of the differential :thumbsup: Of course, unless you're putting out like 1,000 HP at redline, the theoretical top speed is just that. Aerodynamic drag will not let the powertrain take you all the way :(

PJ Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
In theory, the 3.31 rear end should give you a higher top speed. The theoretical max top speed of the PP Ecoboost is around 204 MPH or so.. (i.e. redline in 6th geear). Whether the engine has the grunt to push the Mustang body (with an unknown drag coeffecient) higher is a different matter...There's websites that will give you theoretical top speed predictions (it's a calculator tool). They will have to know engine redline RPM, Final drive ratio of the transmission, and the reduction ratio of the differential :thumbsup: Of course, unless you're putting out like 1,000 HP at redline, the theoretical top speed is just that. Aerodynamic drag will not let the powertrain take you all the way :(
In theory, indeed :) But kinda useless to have this massive theoretical top speed if you can't use it. There's even this video somewhere (I think it was from Hennessey) where the driver is complaining about the too tall 6th gear in a supercharged 5.0 or 5.2. So I think a lower theoretical top speed in this case could actually result in a higher effective top speed.

I had a customer that wanted the 3.73 torsen diff (and already had meth injection and a bigger turbo) to try pass that 300kph, but he totaled the car going 50kph before we even got to installing the smaller rear end -_- To bad, otherwise we'd have known the difference.

Boosting Stangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Competition Orange
The fastest I've seen is 279 kph on the Autobahn by a member here measured using gps nearly 3 years ago.

Sponsored

War-Machine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1, Shadow Black
I have a non PP Ecoboost premium, and on stock tune and FP tune I was limited somewhere between 120 and 125. Fastest I have been after removing the limiter with a canned SCT tune was 130... in the rain like a dumbass with a death wish lol

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
The limiter is really for the tires more so than the radiator. Radiator really more for the stress of a track. The stock intercooler would do more damage than the stock radiator.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
The limiter is really for the tires more so than the radiator. Radiator really more for the stress of a track. The stock intercooler would do more damage than the stock radiator.
Not really, the stock tune pulls things back if/when the IC gets heat soaked...curious what speed rating factory 17" and 18" tires on the ecoboost are. I've got Hankook Ventus S-1 nobles on my PP car curently as my "winter" tires (which are basically the 19" version of the 18" stock tires-I had a buddy who had a 2015 v6 that had 18" wheels and came from the factory with those tires). Haven't paid too much attention to the speed rating on them, as testing the top speed of my Mustang in Oregon would land me in the pokey if a cop put me on radar... :ninja:

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I have the FP tune and when I bought it, asked someone on the FP help line about the limiter, he told me the FP tune removes it, "go as fast as you can". I don't know if that's true or not and haven't had the chance to test it yet. I might try to run at VIR this year and I hear it's a stupid fast track, maybe then....
Sponsored