Sponsored

Ecoboost Build Advice

Figurskijr21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost, PP, 50yrs Pack, Guard.
Hey everyone!

I have a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost (Premium/Guard Green/Performance Package/50th Anniversary Package/6 Speed Manual) that I’m looking to turn into a spring project, and I’m hoping I could get your thoughts on some upgrades.

I preordered the car back in 2014 and it has 45,000 miles on it now. It was originally my daily driver so it had an OTS COBB Stage 1 Tune until the Ford Performance Tune came out. At the time, I was still under my powertrain warranty so I switched to that since it didn’t seem to crank up the boost levels as much as COBB did. I really enjoy the Ford Tune.

Current Upgrades: When COVID started, I started to get the “itch” for a project, so I’ve done a series of first round upgrades. Currently, this is what I’m running:

Ford Performance ProCal Tune
Ford Performance GT350 Cold Air Intake with the FP AirRaid high-flow filter
Mishimoto Front Mount Intercooler
Ford Performance Cat-back Touring Exhaust
Ford Performance BULLIT Brembo Upgrade Kit
Ford Performance Front Strut Tower Brace
Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can
New summer tires, Michelin PS4S’s, 19x9 all-around on the stock rims (19x8.5 Pilot Aplin PA4s on a
set of Enkeis in the winter).

I also have the Mishimoto Intercooler Pipes and a GoFastBits DV+ that I’m going to install when we get a 40ish degree day in the next month or two. Went with the GFB DV+ because I didn’t want my car to draw too much attention, I like that it flies under the radar.

Goals: I’m looking to make a bit more smooth, reliable power. I don’t want to crank boost levels up crazy, and I want to make sure that it’s not just prioritizing power high in the REV range. Basically, my goal is to is to make it rev more freely up top. I’d like to get to or a bit over 300 WHP and a bit higher on Torque at the wheels, but stay well-within the safe limits of the block. I have some friends who do autocross, they’re trying to convince me to give this thing a go at an event or two, and I’m considering it. That said, this will remain mostly a street car. I also want to stay emissions compliant and, given the exhaust selected above, am not looking to make it crazy loud. Here’s what I’m thinking in terms of parts:

Ford Performance High Performance Turbo (M-9348-23T)
Maybe a downpipe and or wastegate (would be looking for recommendations here to hit the targets mentioned above)
A short throw shifter (thinking Steeda, want to retain stock NVH)
Lowering Springs (either the Steeda minimum lowering springs - 0.5” drop or the Ford Performance X springs retaining the Performance pack suspension)
Maybe one or two other handling upgrades, such as stiffer anti-sway bars (open to suggestions).

I kind of like the overall grand tourer vibe, so when it comes to suspension, I want to keep it capable but comfortable.

Let me if you have recommendations! Thanks!

350E0644-D44A-4719-83BB-5C4920E6DADD.jpeg

35EB1B89-ADA0-402C-B30B-3AEA71D7FE52.jpeg

9F5167D3-6268-4620-A5FF-BA1C59F72104.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't. Get something like a N2 but frankly I'd leave well enough alone. Have you actually dyno'd the thing? Buy a tune from Unleashed Tuning and compare vs FP. I really like UT's tune and E30.

Whiteline trans bushing insert (you might not like the NVH increase in the form of trans growl) but easily removed. I like the $100 Steeda short-throw stalk but the real winning move is the Steeda shifter bracket for $70. Totally fixes that sloppy-ass disaster Ford should be shot for.
You might try one of the other 2 trans-mounted shifter solutions. Should be plenty of Mustang owners in your general area that can let you try them out.

retaining the Performance pack suspension)
good god NO!!!!

It's the shittiest part of the whole damn car. Fix all the chassis and Diff warts with Whiteline bushings and Steeda/BMR braces and bearings. Plenty of threads on these topics. But those shocks should be crushed and burned in effigy with flames so hot NORAD picks up the red phone to report an ICBM launch.

There are lots of threads on Dampers but it's really hard to go wrong with BIlstein and Ford Peformance !! TRACK !! edition. I'm not clear on the PP kit from so long ago WRT sway bars. You might benefit with an Eibach/BMR/Whiteline solution with adjustable settings and freely pivoting mounts instead of the bonded rubber crap you get from Ford.

oh and slap on a pair of Moog K100411 (not from CarID, those morons can't read the SKU on the box. RockAuto is good)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Figurskijr21

Figurskijr21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't. Get something like a N2 but frankly I'd leave well enough alone. Have you actually dyno'd the thing? Buy a tune from Unleashed Tuning and compare vs FP. I really like UT's tune and E30.

Whiteline trans bushing insert (you might not like the NVH increase in the form of trans growl) but easily removed. I like the $100 Steeda short-throw stalk but the real winning move is the Steeda shifter bracket for $70. Totally fixes that sloppy-ass disaster Ford should be shot for.
You might try one of the other 2 trans-mounted shifter solutions. Should be plenty of Mustang owners in your general area that can let you try them out.

good god NO!!!!

It's the shittiest part of the whole damn car. Fix all the chassis and Diff warts with Whiteline bushings and Steeda/BMR braces and bearings. Plenty of threads on these topics. But those shocks should be crushed and burned in effigy with flames so hot NORAD picks up the red phone to report an ICBM launch.

There are lots of threads on Dampers but it's really hard to go wrong with BIlstein and Ford Peformance !! TRACK !! edition. I'm not clear on the PP kit from so long ago WRT sway bars. You might benefit with an Eibach/BMR/Whiteline solution with adjustable settings and freely pivoting mounts instead of the bonded rubber crap you get from Ford.

oh and slap on a pair of Moog K100411 (not from CarID, those morons can't read the SKU on the box. RockAuto is good)
i will start doing some digging into all the stuff you mentioned, thank you! Any particular reason for the hate on the HPP turbo? I’m not unwilling to move away from Ford Parts (obviously), but I also haven’t heard anything bad about it either.
No, I haven’t dyno’d it (yet).

And yes, the shocks, they’re brutal with the Wisconsin roads.

Thanks for all the advice!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
particular reason for the hate on the HPP turbo?
It's not so much hate as Meh. I drove an hpp literally back to back to my EB with and without Unleashed tune. The hpp was better than stock up top - power held for another 600 rpm but no match for UT.

If you want a turbo get a real one. But given the questions with the #B motor I would be a little cautious

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Nothing wrong with using OEM parts! You're probably closer to 300 WHP then you realize. How much is your budget?

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
i dont know if the intake is worth it. more area on a filter is good but i don't think the open element is as good as a closed box. could spend that money elsewhere. maybe a better flowing tube from the airbox to the turbo would be better.

OP
OP
Figurskijr21

Figurskijr21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
i dont know if the intake is worth it. more area on a filter is good but i don't think the open element is as good as a closed box. could spend that money elsewhere. maybe a better flowing tube from the airbox to the turbo would be better.
Sorry if I want clear, the intake is already on the car. It came with the ford tune. Appreciate it though; I know a lot of people like the stock air box.

elkwood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Elkwood
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Seems to me you are at the edge of the rabbit hole with the Car. To get much else out of it that a good tune can't give u going to take money and then more money to fix what the money brought :).

Might be best to reach out to one of the tuners and see what they would recommend to get you to your goals. Its amazing what just a good tune can give.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
forget the silly engine. fix the chassis and suspension. Motor is the LAST place to spend any money.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
When you build a car you start from the bottom and go up. Brakes, tires, chassis, suspension, steering (bump steer of you lower). When building a turbo car upgrading to a real intercooler is #1. A lot of guys throw on the Mishi IC and then upgrade when they add HP/TQ and find out they heat soak. Always buy the good stuff first so you don't waste money on toy parts. Read my sig, the handling on my car is insane.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
I have the same year Base PP car in guard, love the color, get compliments all the time for it. Feel like we may share some similar direction.

I started with suspension. Koni(Yellow compression adjustable), Eibach proKit with 1/8(Steeda) spacer in the rear to raise a 1/4 inch for the look, Steeda sway bars(highly recommend this), Steeda K member brace(makes a difference even with just the cowl brace up top), Steeda IRS Bushings, alignment dowels, vertical links(poly), rear control arms pricey but lighter and aligns the rear and subs out a soft bushing for a spiracle bearing to reduce the in outward motion of the tire. Got the camber plates but not needed and I'm not satisfied with them. have the Steeda sway endlinks, not needed. running PS4S now, well worth the price for this tire, had Firehawk's, they were a good cheaper options but after having two set of them and PS4S the PS4S wins every time.

My car is a daily as well and I'm not trying to make it do more than it can.

As for power I have the PD tune, tuner is responsive and helpful. CVFAB catless downpipe, MBRP street which is decent but cheaply made, wouldn't skimp on the catback exhaust if I could do it again, would get the maganaflow street or Cobb. I have a ATM IC, do not get one smaller than that not worth it. When the stock turbo goes I'll replace it an NX2 likely.

Have a Spec stage 2 clutch and lightweight Flywheel that Im going to be installing soon to get more spin out the engine. Looking to get a light weight driveshaft that further assist with making the car accelerate quicker. Need to install the diff bushings, should make a noticeable difference. Also lightweight wheels one day, Apex 19X10 SM-10's, want to get those one day.

My car is at 117k miles BTW. I replace the coils with the MSD coil packs and seen a noticeable difference and cleared my misfires codes. The is a car fun, capable daily, that can be auto x'd, and still good enough for me for a road trip.

Based your(OP) post I'd like for a driveshaft as a next upgrade. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.

OP
OP
Figurskijr21

Figurskijr21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
I have the same year Base PP car in guard, love the color, get compliments all the time for it. Feel like we may share some similar direction.

I started with suspension. Koni(Yellow compression adjustable), Eibach proKit with 1/8(Steeda) spacer in the rear to raise a 1/4 inch for the look, Steeda sway bars(highly recommend this), Steeda K member brace(makes a difference even with just the cowl brace up top), Steeda IRS Bushings, alignment dowels, vertical links(poly), rear control arms pricey but lighter and aligns the rear and subs out a soft bushing for a spiracle bearing to reduce the in outward motion of the tire. Got the camber plates but not needed and I'm not satisfied with them. have the Steeda sway endlinks, not needed. running PS4S now, well worth the price for this tire, had Firehawk's, they were a good cheaper options but after having two set of them and PS4S the PS4S wins every time.

My car is a daily as well and I'm not trying to make it do more than it can.

As for power I have the PD tune, tuner is responsive and helpful. CVFAB catless downpipe, MBRP street which is decent but cheaply made, wouldn't skimp on the catback exhaust if I could do it again, would get the maganaflow street or Cobb. I have a ATM IC, do not get one smaller than that not worth it. When the stock turbo goes I'll replace it an NX2 likely.

Have a Spec stage 2 clutch and lightweight Flywheel that Im going to be installing soon to get more spin out the engine. Looking to get a light weight driveshaft that further assist with making the car accelerate quicker. Need to install the diff bushings, should make a noticeable difference. Also lightweight wheels one day, Apex 19X10 SM-10's, want to get those one day.

My car is at 117k miles BTW. I replace the coils with the MSD coil packs and seen a noticeable difference and cleared my misfires codes. The is a car fun, capable daily, that can be auto x'd, and still good enough for me for a road trip.

Based your(OP) post I'd like for a driveshaft as a next upgrade. Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.
Thanks! I’ll shoot you a message!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
don't bother. get a REAL upgrade like N2 or leave well enough alone.
Maybe a downpipe and or wastegate (would be looking for recommendations here to hit the targets mentioned above)
next to no gains, basically worthless. Unless you de-cat.
good choice. But if you haven't put in the Steeda shifter support bracket yet, start there first.
Lowering Springs (either the Steeda minimum lowering springs - 0.5” drop or the Ford Performance X springs retaining the Performance pack suspension)
toss the Ford suspension. It's really not very good at all. Bilstein or Ford's RACING shocks. Otherwise step up into Steeda pro-Action adjustable. or if you have $4000 then Ohlins.

I would leave the swaybars alone until ^^^ is done and you're autocrossing like a maniac.
Sponsored