Mustang EcoBoost for commute, need advice

BlackBoostedStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I got this car over a s197 5.0 GT because of the mileage component. I still get 30+ on the highway and I'm at 33k miles with zero issues.

If you are leaving the car stock, the stock intercooler will be just fine. Hell, there are a ton of stock ecoboosts on the road around here in Orlando and our summers get brutal
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
If you are averaging 100F for four months I would get a intercooler upgrade, my car seems to run hot after awhile and I am just driving around in Florida where the temps right now are only in the mid 80's. The first mechanical mode for me will be an intercooler for sure.

Terry

Invidious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost PP
I bought my car with comfort in mind. Premium PP, dont regret it one bit. With a 60 mile commute and 140 mile commute every other weekend. I average about 34-35 mpg with cruise control set at 65 mph. But if you plan on driving any faster you can say goodbye to anything in the 30s. I would highly recommend an upgraded FMIC especially if you have temps that high, your car will thank you later.

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Not true, average highway speed in Cali is about 80mph and I still get 32 mpg highway and that is in a convertible with the top down and not using cruise control. While I do get better with the top up (as high as 35 mpg). I think it has more to do with the steady pace you get with cruise control and avoiding the urge to get into the turbo as much.

Pesti13nce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Base manual
I live in San Bernardino and commute to the high desert (50mi each way) up some rather lofty terrain in my 16' EB and i average about 28-29 mpg going up the mtn, and 32-33 coming down it, 500mi a week in commute alone not including the weekend.

I have as i type 27k miles on my manual base EB with an intake and exhaust and it's never given me a hiccup and i've traveled in some very warm weather. it's been great for me.

Sponsored

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Stock IC is perfectly fine for normal driving. If you're doing pulls in that warm weather it'll heat soak quickly.

If you do decide to upgrade the IC, make sure you don't get an overly large one as it might block the radiator causing other heat problems.

Oh yeah, pull that trigger, the EB is awesome for a daily driver:cheers:

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Heat soak is only an issue if you plan on driving like a maniac all the time, which I do.. so I do experience some heat soak in this 80-90 degree weather Lol.

But yeah, for normal driving/commuting, you won't notice or feel a difference due to temperature.. my car only heat soaks because I drive like an idiot in the city in stop and go traffic, cruising on the highway with constant air flow there is zero issue even driving hard. Bigger issue for you would be quality of fuel.. make sure you get that 93 octane.. that does make a difference.

That being said, mpg's on the highway are great, mpg's in the city/in traffic, awful.. my city mpg is worse than what the GT guys report.. but again, that's because I push it.. heh. Driving reasonably I can get 18ish mpg's in the city, but that's boring as hell so 10mpg it is!

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
As far as fuel efficiency, I had a commute like yours before I recently moved. I'm in Texas where we can have similar (not quite as hot) temperatures, although the humidity is higher. I have ~13,000 miles on my '16 with the PP and the manual. My highway mileage is as follows:

60 mph I can get up to 35 mpg on a flat road surface
65 mph I can easily average 32 mpg
70 mph I can still get 31 mpg
75 mph I average about 29-30 mpg

All of these involve using the A/C, which shouldn't be a huge impact on these cars. Keep in mind I have the PP 3.55 ratio which may drop my mileage by up to ~1mpg compared to those without.

bobinnj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
OK, I DD mine 90 miles a day in rush hour NJ traffic and I've never gotten over 23 MPG. I guess it's because there's no such thing as "highway" driving in Jersey!

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Heat soak is only an issue if you plan on driving like a maniac all the time, which I do.. so I do experience some heat soak in this 80-90 degree weather Lol.

But yeah, for normal driving/commuting, you won't notice or feel a difference due to temperature.. my car only heat soaks because I drive like an idiot in the city in stop and go traffic, cruising on the highway with constant air flow there is zero issue even driving hard. Bigger issue for you would be quality of fuel.. make sure you get that 93 octane.. that does make a difference.

That being said, mpg's on the highway are great, mpg's in the city/in traffic, awful.. my city mpg is worse than what the GT guys report.. but again, that's because I push it.. heh. Driving reasonably I can get 18ish mpg's in the city, but that's boring as hell so 10mpg it is!
What he said, lol. I drive like a maniac all the time which is what is probably causing my car a few problems with heat in Florida.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Both of them that I have owned have been great, reliable daily drivers on my 56 mile daily commute. I get around 28 MPG on a mostly freeway commute...

DevilDogDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB 6spd Ruby Red
I run mine 90 miles a day just outside palm springs myself. Has been flawless so far, I pull a long hard grade on the way home every day at 85-90 when I can and have never seen my temps go over 210f. I flog it hard coming and going and no issues so far, it's supposed to get to 109 late next week so I shall see how it does!

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
You'll be fine. I drive around 70 miles round trip every day to work and drive it on the weekends. On the highway, I average 32.4 mpgs. You don't sound like you're going to be doing a bunch of racing or anything, so you should be just fine on the stock intercooler. The ECU has built in safety measures to prevent any kind of meltdown. It'll pull timing and such to protect the engine, so although it will get a little slower if heat soaked, it's not just going to pop.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
did a trip to the next state (8 hour drive), along with 6 days of local driving, and 8 hours back - 32.8 mpg.

City is normally 23mpg.
Sponsored