Ecoboost automatic mpg

OP
OP

ZeeVee23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP
Oh lol when I want to drive aggressively I leave it in sport plus and manual but during that time I'm expecting less mpg. But when I just want to drive at normal I leave it in Drive and Normal mode and reset the mpg gauge to see if I get any better but nope getting max 19 in the city. I will wait for a couple thousand miles to see if things improve
Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Getting mpg that meets or exceeds EPA is as far fetched as trying to get a Greyhound to come back home during a squirrel chase, IMO.
Not really. The new EPA standards should be pretty attainable. My GT and many others are getting 25-26 or more (against 25 EPA) for steady 70 mph+ highway cruising.

Obie

If I could turn back time
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecobust
Obie, you don't happen to be medically defined as morbidly obese are you? Disease of the body and car performance...
6ft5, 270 lbs lifter, at 8% BF; maybe Im just too much for the ecobust to handle. :tsk:

Just kidding, I understand your frustration but remember that EPA ratings are in no way a guarantee nor indication of real-world MPG. Honestly, 29 doesn't sound terrible as I figured you were seeing lower 20's.
Understood; after 12+ cars, I get what the term estimate means. My gripe has and always will be this: Driving. Gently. Should. Not. Mean. LOWER. Actual. Mileage. Every car I have owned and encountered has beat its rating, because I live in a shitty city with too much traffic to drive hard anywhere.

Have you checked for any blockage to the intake? What is your reported air/fuel ratio?
The mouth-breathers at service department allegedly checked.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
I know when the F150 EBs first came out there were complaints of poorer than expected mileage. Two factors seem to have contributed...stay out of boost and also give it 5000 or so miles. Many people said their mileage improved drastically after that point. Not sure if a reason was ever determined, but the effects were seen. Give it some time before jumping to conclusions.

Also, Obie, if it sounds so dreadful, why'd you buy it in the first place? If you present facts objectively and fairly, I'd be more inclined to take you seriously...some of what you say leaves me skeptical as to how much the car is to blame...just sayin'...

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
6ft5, 270 lbs lifter, at 8% BF; maybe Im just too much for the ecobust to handle. :tsk:

Understood; after 12+ cars, I get what the term estimate means. My gripe has and always will be this: Driving. Gently. Should. Not. Mean. LOWER. Actual. Mileage. Every car I have owned and encountered has beat its rating, because I live in a shitty city with too much traffic to drive hard anywhere.

I'm on Obies side here. I know I own a C7 my point is invalid but hear me out.

My EPA is 17/29 in V8...today it was 53 degrees outside level highway cruise control set to 70 in 7th gear in V8 mode...I was getting 30 MPG...cruise at 63 miles an hour almost identical conditions 33mpg...in V4 same conditions 38-42mpg..Avg while driving conservatively 22mpg avg while having lots of fun 18mpg.

Too me the Ecoboost mpg and so-so performance is kind of a joke.

460hp 460tq and better gas mileage lol just saying you're better off getting a GT and quit the "fuel saving" arguments.

Sponsored

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang

My EPA is 17/29 in V8...today it was 53 degrees outside level highway cruise control set to 70 in 7th gear in V8 mode...I was getting 30 MPG...cruise at 63 miles an hour almost identical conditions 33mpg...in V4 same conditions 38-42mpg..Avg while driving conservatively 22mpg avg while having lots of fun 18mpg.

460hp 460tq and better gas mileage lol just saying you're better off getting a GT and quit the "fuel saving" arguments.
That or get a V6 while you still can and see some more MPG from a proven engine. I got about 32 MPG on the ride back from the dealer, not really used to driving it, a week and a half ago. Now that I've been driving in NoVA traffic it's been hanging around 21-23 MPG.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
That or get a V6 while you still can and see some more MPG from a proven engine. I got about 32 MPG on the ride back from the dealer, not really used to driving it, a week and a half ago. Now that I've been driving in NoVA traffic it's been hanging around 21-23 MPG.
100% that V6 is truly the best gas saver. No bs boost to deal with...and it pulls like a little monster all the way to redline...no 5k power loss.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I can rarely hit posted EPA numbers in my car. But, I live in a very hilly terrain constantly going up and down hills. Bad for fuel economy. Also, our gas stations only carry E10 (90% gasoline, 10% ethanol) so there is lower energy content in our blended fuel versus pure gasoline, hence lower fuel economy. And, my car is far from aerodynamic, so highway speed plays a huge part in my fuel economy. At 55-60 mph, I get 24-25 mpg. At 65-70, it drops to 22-23 mpg. And, with our fast paced traffic going 75-80, I only get about 18-20 mpg.

Now, if I lived in Kansas where it's incredibly flat, burned nothing but 100% gasoline, and only drove in the 45-55 mph range, I'd bet that I could net nearly 30 mpg in decent weather.

As the old saying goes, Your Mileage May Vary.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT

Lol Ok now I definately need proof that 1 you own an EB and 2 you are 6ft5 270 with 8% BF. Until I see pics this is false

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk

The Corvette is significantly more aerodynamic. Many reported low 30s w/ C6s, and now w/ the LT1 C7, mid to high 30s are common in steady state usage, which neither of the EPA figures are based on. The Vette is unique in getting such great mileage - certainly don't see these results w/ the Camaro. I'm not sure how comparing a 4 seat pony car that costs half as much as a 2 seat sports car is reasonable, anyhow.

As for performance of the EB, keep tabs on the aftermarket, it's coming...and many are confident w/ increased mpgs too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Brent correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the corvette turn off a couple cylinders when cruising on the highway?

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Brent correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the corvette turn off a couple cylinders when cruising on the highway?
On Autos while in Eco/Touring/Sport

Manuals while in Eco Only. I drive in Sport normally.

There is also a screen that shows which mode you are in V8 or V4

Took this in the way home just now.

41 degrees. Flat road. 62 mph. 7th Gear. Cruise on. Sport Mode. V8.

*yes it held that 34 mpg the whole time the road was flat*

3c4a360a2f65fce64ccc290f832db577.jpg

If you really want performance and gas mileage save and buy a Vette lol

Last edited:

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Got my car on Thursday and as usual I did drove off with the wrong gear selection not knowing what to do in the new car.:doh: I did look at the fuel use and thought WTH! Next traffic light I did check my gear and I was in the SPORT mode. Switched it to DRIVE mode and everything is OK now. Getting after 200 km the car has now around 29MPG (US). And no. No fun to have with it on icy roads in the moment. :ninja:

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Got my car on Thursday and as usual I did drove off with the wrong gear selection not knowing what to do in the new car.:doh: I did look at the fuel use and thought WTH! Next traffic light I did check my gear and I was in the SPORT mode. Switched it to DRIVE mode and everything is OK now. Getting after 200 km the car has now around 29MPG (US). And no. No fun to have with it on icy roads in the moment. :ninja:
Nice, when do u plan on flashing it with the COBB tune? It'd be interesting to see how their economy mode effects MPG since it limits boost
Sponsored