Sponsored

Ecoboost automatic mpg

ZeeVee23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost w/PP
I drive a auto ecoboost with PP and I don't know why I can't get over 20 mpg with mixed driving and get worse if it is only city like 17-19 mpg. Is this a issue should I get it checked or is this what you all are getting? Thanks.
Sponsored

humster21

Black Mustang Lover
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
15 Black EB Premium w/PP
I drive a auto ecoboost with PP and I don't know why I can't get over 20 mpg with mixed driving and get worse if it is only city like 17-19 mpg. Is this a issue should I get it checked or is this what you all are getting? Thanks.
Mine has been mixed. Some times I'm getting 24-27mpg and currently 19-21mpg. I know using the remote start on the cold mornings isn't helping my mpg, but keeps me warm. I'm almost at 900 miles and I can't keep my foot off the gas pedal either.

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Sounds like there have been a few members that own the EB with MPG issues. It could just be coincidence with high traffic / stop light volume in your area other than it being hard to keep your foot off the pedal. Get on a highway, hopefully with little traffic, and reset one of your trips for a few miles. Try the same with city driving.

If you are consistently getting low MPG vs. EPA estimates then you might want to get it checked out.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Its a turbo car and I bet you are staying in boost a lot. A normal car has an almost linear fuel usage vs the throttle opening but a Turbo Car once that boost gauge moves into the positive the mileage will drop even if you hold the throttle steady.

You can see it in action thanks to the modern technology.. Set your dash to show the instant mileage and go to an empty parking lot, change to sport mode and use the paddles to hold 2nd gear and watch how the mileage reacts as the boost builds as you come on and off the throttle.

also be aware its a brand new car and engines these days are really tight. the mileage will improve as you continue to drive it so a few thousand miles from now it will be better. Remote start as well... If you are using that and letting the car sit for idling it will drop your mileage a lot because you are getting 0.00 MPG.

Last edited:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The PP adds more weight then the normal EB so that's one thing. What mode are you driving it in? If you are in Sport+ then that isnt going to yield as good of mileage either. Also, are you in boost a lot? Turbo motors burn fuel badly while in boost.

Sponsored

Obie

If I could turn back time
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecobust
Same boat here, mine was drinking gas like its about to go extinct; during my MANY gas stops, I talked to RAM and SUV drivers who get better mileage. First tank of soft driving, 280 miles, first tank of premium was worse, at 250. Road trips at steady 69, not getting into boost at all, was a hand calculated 29 mpg, which to me sucks. So far it is doing slightly better after a tune, I'll report total miles when tank runs dry.

As for taking it in, you can try but I wouldnt waste the gas or your time. Took mine to several dealers and they were about as useless as a training bra would be on jessica simpson. The worst of them let a tech take mine home overnight, without my permission of course, to see if he could get better mileage. Cant WAIT to get the survey on that one....

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Same boat here, mine was drinking gas like its about to go extinct; during my MANY gas stops, I talked to RAM and SUV drivers who get better mileage. First tank of soft driving, 280 miles, first tank of premium was worse, at 250. Road trips at steady 69, not getting into boost at all, was a hand calculated 29 mpg, which to me sucks. So far it is doing slightly better after a tune, I'll report total miles when tank runs dry.

As for taking it in, you can try but I wouldnt waste the gas or your time. Took mine to several dealers and they were about as useless as a training bra would be on jessica simpson. The worst of them let a tech take mine home overnight, without my permission of course, to see if he could get better mileage. Cant WAIT to get the survey on that one....

29mpg sucks?!?! EPA for an EB is 22/31. Maybe its just me but I don't understand the mpg issues especially because there are so many factors (weight in car-passengers, tire pressure, acceleration patterns at stop lights, grade inclines/declines and the list goes on)...

Getting mpg that meets or exceeds EPA is as far fetched as trying to get a Greyhound to come back home during a squirrel chase, IMO.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
29mpg sucks?!?! EPA for an EB is 22/31. Maybe its just me but I don't understand the mpg issues especially because there are so many factors (weight in car-passengers, tire pressure, acceleration patterns at stop lights, grade inclines/declines and the list goes on)...

Getting mpg that meets or exceeds EPA is as far fetched as trying to get a Greyhound to come back home during a squirrel chase, IMO.
Agreed, we need know know more information about your cars, etc before knowing if something is wrong.

Obie

If I could turn back time
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecobust
Twenty nine sucks, when in bold letters on the sticker it says the number 32. And it does when you come from a much more powerful car, one that doesnt sound like blender, that easily beats that number AND its EPA rating.

And IMO, when you have had no less than 6 cars, that had lower EPA ratings than the ecobust, beat their EPA ratings even when driven aggressively it becomes far less far-fetched. And its not far-fetched at all to expect the ecobust to at least MATCH its EPA ratings, especially when driven gently, which I almost always do to avoid hearing that dreadful sounding engine.

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Twenty nine sucks, when in bold letters on the sticker it says the number 32. And it does when you come from a much more powerful car, one that doesnt sound like blender, that easily beats that number AND its EPA rating.

And IMO, when you have had no less than 6 cars, that had lower EPA ratings than the ecobust, beat their EPA ratings even when driven aggressively it becomes far less far-fetched. And its not far-fetched at all to expect the ecobust to at least MATCH its EPA ratings, especially when driven gently, which I almost always do to avoid hearing that dreadful sounding engine.
Obie, you don't happen to be medically defined as morbidly obese are you? Disease of the body and car performance...

Just kidding, I understand your frustration but remember that EPA ratings are in no way a guarantee nor indication of real-world MPG. Honestly, 29 doesn't sound terrible as I figured you were seeing lower 20's.

Have you checked for any blockage to the intake? What is your reported air/fuel ratio?

Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP

3 mpg under EPA is not guzzling gas...Do realize these are estimates so going to the dealer and arguing "estimated" information is laughable...Why dealerships are shrugging you off because there are SO MANY factors to mpg.

EPA tests are in simulated environments. You are driving your car in real world environment and not on a dynamometer.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
What's the EPA definition of EPA definition of city driving anyway? When I drive in my very dense home town in my V6 I get around 16 because it's quite a lot of stop and go. If I drive in a more quiet suburb town it's around 19-20. If you've recently reset the MPG calculator you can literally see the MPG's dropping in a stop.

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
What's the EPA definition of EPA definition of city driving anyway? When I drive in my very dense home town in my V6 I get around 16 because it's quite a lot of stop and go. If I drive in a more quiet suburb town it's around 19-20. If you've recently reset the MPG calculator you can literally see the MPG's dropping in a stop.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/why_differ.shtml

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Just curious Obie...If the car is so dreadful awful. Why do you bother with the forum? When passionate about something that I don't like, I wouldn't bother with it anymore...Much like a girlfriend...Are you like one of those dudes that stalks your X's on Facebook? Creepy!