eBay CF/alcantara steering wheel?

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
One thing I just learned is the bolt is TTY meaning one time use only. I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere else.

long story short the bolt came loose last night while driving. Steering wheel was completely loose and wobbly. Thankfully I was close to my house.

The bolt has thread locker from the factory and looks like it backed out and locker was almost gone. I bought a new bolt and waiting for delivery.
E1DB28B7-D3F0-47C2-A153-ABAE9DFF814F.jpeg
when i swapped to a OEM GT350R steering wheel a year ago, i just hand tightened it and haven't had any issues since. Is there a torque spec on this bolt ? I'll be swapping again to a aftermarket CF wheel soon so might get new bolts to be safe. Thanks for the info !

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
when i swapped to a OEM GT350R steering wheel a year ago, i just hand tightened it and haven't had any issues since. Is there a torque spec on this bolt ? I'll be swapping again to a aftermarket CF wheel soon so might get new bolts to be safe. Thanks for the info !
I just snugged it up with the impact on low torque setting.

Bl@cknight18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I 'think' it's like 35 ft/lbs. I would get a new bolt just to make sure. The new bolt comes with locktite already on it and it's a TTY bolt, so it's made for a one time use from what I understand.

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
i'm extremely unhappy with the fitment of the ebay wheel i bought, so last night i placed an order for a custom Beith wheel with carbon fiber flat top and flat bottom, white stiching, dark gray alcantara grips, red center stripe. no more ebay wheels for me.

Sponsored

khsonic03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP / 2016 F150 Lariat / 2018 Jeep Rubicon
i'm extremely unhappy with the fitment of the ebay wheel i bought, so last night i placed an order for a custom Beith wheel with carbon fiber flat top and flat bottom, white stiching, dark gray alcantara grips, red center stripe. no more ebay wheels for me.
Assuming you ended up buying the youstar version? What were the fitment issues? Any pics?

Bl@cknight18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Let’s see some pics. What was wrong with the fitment?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
My concern with these aftermarket wheels is the quality of the core used, the wheel slipping off as mentioned, and airbag deploying early or not deploying at all, or just messing up the wiring while trying swap things onto new one. Paranoid for sure here.
Or maybe just sensibly weighing up the risk of using a critical safety related part from an unknown manufacturer with unknown qc that's also had no testing.

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming you ended up buying the youstar version? What were the fitment issues? Any pics?
it was actually the euromotorsport one. fitment issues were with the plastic shrouding behind the buttons/wheel since the alcantara was way too thick and didn't line up well, even with some trimming. so nothing really mounted right and there are gaps all over the back. from the front you can't tell. i'll get some pics in the next couple days, it's bad

Bl@cknight18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Or maybe just sensibly weighing up the risk of using a critical safety related part from an unknown manufacturer with unknown qc that's also had no testing.
Pretty much all sellers are unknown in all those aspects you mentioned..

Sponsored

khsonic03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP / 2016 F150 Lariat / 2018 Jeep Rubicon
The steering wheel doesn't really have an impact on the airbag. As long as you reconnect everything properly, it is its own little module/unit that essentially floats there.

I replaced mine last year and used blue loctite on the screw and its still tight and solid. Everything fit together nicely. Unfortunately, I damaged the leather on it with the rivets on my jeans, so I just ordered the youstar one. Guess we'll see if it fits as well as my last one.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Pretty much all sellers are unknown in all those aspects you mentioned..
Agreed and also I'm not criticising other folks' choices. But Beith for example uses oem cores so there's a level of assurance the frame won't fracture in a wreck and bring issues with compromised airbag deployment and sharp surfaces that catch on body parts.

Other manufacturers may well use unbranded cores from the same factory that Ford uses, but it's a matter of whether saving a few $ to have a nice wheel is outweighed by increased safety in an accident.

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beith customer service is awesome as well. he is including all new buttons and new wiring harness for me with everything preinstalled for no extra charge. the extent of my interaction with the ebay seller after telling them about the fitment issues was "you must have installed it wrong, but go ahead and send it back" even though i clearly explained that the fitment issues were due to their excess alcantara not allowing the plastic shrouds etc. to seat properly

Bl@cknight18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Beith customer service is awesome as well. he is including all new buttons and new wiring harness for me with everything preinstalled for no extra charge. the extent of my interaction with the ebay seller after telling them about the fitment issues was "you must have installed it wrong, but go ahead and send it back" even though i clearly explained that the fitment issues were due to their excess alcantara not allowing the plastic shrouds etc. to seat properly
Look forward to seeing the Beith wheel when you get it. I've seen their IG and they look on point!

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I got this from eBay for just 249. The wheel itself looks and feels high quality however there are some fitment issues and gaps. I was also concerned about the quality being it a non-OEM core and this is what the seller had to say. for the price, I'm happy with it and there are some grippoints at the back.

"it still not Ford genuine, we manufacture our own by new molding. and all item need to pass Taiwan DOT crash test, strength, and temperature test before approved to reproduce. "

20200725_210349.jpg

20200725_184320.jpg

20200725_173753.jpg

20200725_173731.jpg

20200725_173726.jpg

20200725_173739.jpg

20200725_165101.jpg
20200725_164930.jpg
Sponsored