e85 in mower

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I run turbo blue in my rider, cheap at 8 bucks a gallon and no E. Sat for 4 months with the same gas and started first hit of the key. Smells good also.

E10 gas and small engines do not mix, the coming E15 will destroy current small engines.
Interesting. I've been running E10 in my mower for 15 years since I bought it. It's never even needed a spark plug. Can't buy anything but E10 or higher here.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Interesting. I've been running E10 in my mower for 15 years since I bought it. It's never even needed a spark plug. Can't buy anything but E10 or higher here.
You are either the luckiest person alive or run it dry after each use or use stabil or some other stabilizer or you really are not getting E10.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
You are either the luckiest person alive or run it dry after each use or use stabil or some other stabilizer or you really are not getting E10.
Trust me, in IL everything contains ethanol. Illinois requires it in our area, and has for many years. Never once used Stabil in it, not even in the winter. According to Honda, they are designed to run on 0-10 Ethanol. https://powerequipment.honda.com/support/fuel-recommendations

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Everything here is Ethanol too, our mowers run fine. Granted the grass grows faster than you can mow it but the mower fires up and chews through it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It's been well documented that ethanol fuel harms small engines. That is why hardware stores sell straight gas in quart cans. I lost a weed-wacker and a leaf blower to E gas. Never again. I now use race gas.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
It's been well documented that ethanol fuel harms small engines. That is why hardware stores sell straight gas in quart cans. I lost a weed-wacker and a leaf blower to E gas. Never again. I now use race gas.
The "straight gas quarts" are not available here. My mower is designed to run on E10, so no worries for me.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
E85 will run lean for sure, maybe not even run. The carb isn't jetted for the increased amount of fuel used for the same airflow. But I have to disagree on the normal ethanol blends. I can't speak for other states but the Pacific Northwest gets E10 fuel for most if not all year depending on location and we run many small 2 and 4 stroke engines just fine. Mowers, quads, chainsaws, weed-whackers, leaf blowers you name it. Never had a problem.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
One of my sons has a Traxxas T-Maxx, so we tried a little (a capful) of the 20% nitro fuel mixed with the ethanol free gasoline I usually run in it. It made some smoke and the rpm's were a bit higher.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
"Ethanol has inherent properties that can cause corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components, harder starting, and reduced engine life," says Marv Klowak, global vice president of research and development for Briggs & Stratton, the largest manufacturer of small engines. "The higher the ethanol content, the more acute the effects." Servicing dealers are reporting similar problems, even with E10, according to the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, the industry's trade group.

From the link, run what you want

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...ethanol-can-make-small-engines-fail/index.htm

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Ethanol and small engines are a no go.
This.

Back when I was dumb enough to try to use ethanol fuel in my yard equipment, I had a carburetor issue in one thing or another almost annually. Since switching to non-ethanol (non-oxygenated is the lingo here) fuel years ago, I haven't had a small gas engine issue. I've put fuel shutoffs on them all and run them dry at the end of a season also.
Sponsored