Sponsored

dummy coolant question

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
Successfully changed out my thermostat to the 170 Reische.

I use the term "Successfully" loosely as I made a bit of a mess lol...

Going to get this pre-mix. Suppose it should be fine?

Since I'm in Australia, we can't get the Dex-Cool stuff and the dealership is closed till Monday (service department) to get the Motorcraft one.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Red_Long_Life_Top-Up_Coolant

It says safe to top up Ford Anti-Freeze and Dexcool etc.
13106039_10208732455564741_2053365171_o.jpg
RLLTU5.jpg
Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
Zerex g-05 is superior to dex cool and it doesnt turn to sludge as it ages. Its also what the ford red coolant is.

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
There is a red Zerex G-05 available too.

Ended up pouring the Nulon stuff in. Temperatures were low constantly even in stop and go.

How much of coolant is in the system if you flushed everything?

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Khyber,

Has your coolant level continued to drop?

After 1.5 yrs, mine has gone from the middle of min and max to right at the min level.

I can't visually find a leak and my oil and coolant color appear normal.

I am lost. I only hope the missing portion evaporated as steam.

Thanks,

Ivan

Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
So for year 2015 I assume Ford uses an OAT coolant which is orange in colour. Similar to GM's DEXCOOL brand.

Not particularly happy about this. Up to 2011 Ford used a HOAT which seems superior.

Every 2 years I plan on pulling the lower radiator hose for the purposes of a dump and fill unless there exists an available drain bolt in the V6 block then I will drain the block and rad together.

Thoughts?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my car in the summer and noticed that it used a little coolant in the beginning. After topping it off I haven't had to add any more. Maybe when it gets hot this summer it will go down again? We get a lot of 100 degree days.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If anyone has an early build 15 and seems to be losing coolant, there is a TSB that covers a heater hose replacement.

http://www.f150forum.com/attachment...21-2015-ford-f-150-tsb-listing-tsb16-0019.pdf
Yes I was going to say there is a TSB for low coolant, a very small slow leak apparently. But this is only for engines build 11/2014 to 1/2015 ; only a small few.

I would 100% rather add 1 cup of coolant every 6-12 months (the $15 jug will last years at that rate) than let the dealership monkeys fiddle with my car. Asking for things to go wrong.

I noticed mine was just below the MIN line too but 1 year old so. Not losing that much honestly. I would guess mine is evaporation and not a leak.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yes I was going to say there is a TSB for low coolant, a very small slow leak apparently. But this is only for engines build 11/2014 to 1/2015 ; only a small few.

I would 100% rather add 1 cup of coolant every 6-12 months (the $15 jug will last years at that rate) than let the dealership monkeys fiddle with my car. Asking for things to go wrong.

I noticed mine was just below the MIN line too but 1 year old so. Not losing that much honestly. I would guess mine is evaporation and not a leak.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels that way.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels that way.
Or just buy the heater outlet tube and do it myself. It's literally 2 hose clamps with pliers.

Drain the degas bottle of coolant into a clean bowl/jug, unhook it at the bottom, squeeze together and remove 2 spring hose clamps as both ends put in the new tube per the TSB photo.

The part, BR3Z-18663-A, is a whopping $12. No one will ever be able to tell it was changed for warranty purposes

Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Successfully changed out my thermostat to the 170 Reische.

I use the term "Successfully" loosely as I made a bit of a mess lol...

Going to get this pre-mix. Suppose it should be fine?

Since I'm in Australia, we can't get the Dex-Cool stuff and the dealership is closed till Monday (service department) to get the Motorcraft one.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/Red_Long_Life_Top-Up_Coolant

It says safe to top up Ford Anti-Freeze and Dexcool etc.
looking for info on coolant type, coolant leaks, you know using the search function and this made me laugh. mainly because i have been there and done that, twice. this orange 50/50 mix is not sticky and nasty to deal with at least. :)

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Use distilled water to dilute coolant concentrate.

Use the specific type the users manual calls for. Do not over fill, do it when the engine is cold. Never mix coolants, Motorcraft makes a variety of coolants in different colors and purposes. Buy the premixed coolant, that has water mixed in it already. The coolant will have specially treated water, not tap water filled with microorganisms and junk.
A gallon of pure, distilled water usually costs about $1. When you buy premixed...you are paying more than double just for having the manufacturer mix the solution for you.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
FYI my local ford dealer sells the 50/50 pre mix for 15 bucks. about 10 bucks cheaper then most people around here say it cost.
Sponsored