Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I figured I'd post this because I know someone out there is probably wondering the same thing.

I have never had to add coolant to a car before but none of the cars I've had, had a giant tank like this either up front. Anyways...

Before I go to the dealer and get some coolant. I just want to make sure it's ok to add. Ever since I bought the car it was never at max, probably closer to the min line or slightly above. Right now it has dropped below the min line. I assume it has evaporated from the hot as hell summers we have here? There is moisture at the top of the tank as you can see in the pic.

Before I pull a stupid. I just want to check... The car has never leaked a thing and I gave it a thorough looking over and felt on all the hoses I could and still looks brand spanking new. temps looked fine on the car too.

here's a pic. Car has not been ran since 9 this morning and it's 8pm est right now.

Sponsored

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can't you just buy the coolant at an auto parts store and save yourself some $?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
Where.....

I figured I'd post this because I know someone out there is probably wondering the same thing.

I have never had to add coolant to a car before but none of the cars I've had, had a giant tank like this either up front. Anyways...

Before I go to the dealer and get some coolant. I just want to make sure it's ok to add. Ever since I bought the car it was never at max, probably closer to the min line or slightly above. Right now it has dropped below the min line. I assume it has evaporated from the hot as hell summers we have here? There is moisture at the top of the tank as you can see in the pic.

Before I pull a stupid. I just want to check... The car has never leaked a thing and I gave it a thorough looking over and felt on all the hoses I could and still looks brand spanking new. temps looked fine on the car too.

here's a pic. Car has not been ran since 9 this morning and it's 8pm est right now.

Where is the coolant level at after engine is at operating temperature, but you can add some now while engine is cold..... Then make note were your coolant level is and keep a eye on it......
Hope it helps John :cheers:

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Top it off when the engine is cold. Don't go above the MAX line when cold. As that's so there is plenty of room for expansion when hot.

Sponsored

Danger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015, Performance Package, Ingot Silver
Use the specific type the users manual calls for. Do not over fill, do it when the engine is cold. Never mix coolants, Motorcraft makes a variety of coolants in different colors and purposes. Buy the premixed coolant, that has water mixed in it already. The coolant will have specially treated water, not tap water filled with microorganisms and junk.

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
I wanna say it's higher when running but not by much but I'll have to check in the morning

ok. so hopefully the water in the mix just evaporated out. Hopefully dealer has the premixed stuff because I just want to put it in and not deal with buying distilled whatever and blah blah.

Twenty15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium | DIB
I took mine to the dealer for the same thing. I just drove into the quick lane and they topped it off with the red. The car was at operating temp and they opened the cap......slowly. In and out in five minutes.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think the level should be no higher than high when fully warmed up because it would overflow if the level is at full when cold.
Usually they designed it so when engine is fully warmed up and fan has at least kicked on once the line would be at full and when fully cooled the level would be above low but op is pretty low.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
yeah I better grab some. I'm confident there is no leak but only one way to find out... add more and see if it goes down quickly. I'll have to take a look at it when it's warmed up and been running after I drop kids off in the morning.

I hope it's near as cheap at the dealer as it is in Danger's link. doubt it lol.

Edit: well nvm they want more in shipping than the price of the coolant lol...

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
[MENTION=12175]Khyber[/MENTION],

GM DEX-COOL is what our cars use...same stuff as the overpriced Ford coolant.

Wally World has them...

Last edited:

Danger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015, Performance Package, Ingot Silver
Its been about a year since I owned my car and my level is a bit low as well, your fine.

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
This right? Just picked it up for $15 at advanced. Wally is on other side of the town.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
^^Yes sir, that's the stuff.
Sponsored