OP

Doug T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Actually I was expecting a little MORE torque down low, hence the question about staying high (Relatively speaking) in the rev range. It seems I have to keep the revs quite similar to the 4 bangers. Between 4k and 6k. Granted this is when just playin' around.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Actually I was expecting a little MORE torque down low, hence the question about staying high (Relatively speaking) in the rev range. It seems I have to keep the revs quite similar to the 4 bangers. Between 4k and 6k. Granted this is when just playin' around.
Just playing around on the streets in those RPM ranges for a minute or two is no big deal.

Those of us that track their cars keep them in the 5-7.5k range for 20 minutes at a time 4 times a day for dozens and dozens of track days with no issues.

I've calculated that my current car has spent over 30 hours combined in that RPM range and still runs like a champ. And this is just on track...it also has some 30k street miles which not all of them are easy.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just playing around on the streets in those RPM ranges for a minute or two is no big deal.

Those of us that track their cars keep them in the 5-7.5k range for 20 minutes at a time 4 times a day for dozens and dozens of track days with no issues.

I've calculated that my current car has spent over 30 hours combined in that RPM range and still runs like a champ. And this is just on track...it also has some 30k street miles which not all of them are easy.
^ this. Your brakes will fail looong before before the engine does.

Rev it up, If the motor couldn’t take the RPMs the rev limit wouldn’t be where it’s at.

Now, is it awesome to putter around at 6k and 20% throttle for long periods? I wouldn’t do it, but I wouldn’t be worried about the motor. The revs will keep the oil pressure up but your alternator, ac compressor and oil pump might have somewhat shorter lives. Those things don’t last forever anyway.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I'm trying to get a handle on how stout these 5.0 motors really are. Hypothetically if you could drive around in let's say 3rd gear at 6k rpm, how long do you think the motor could take it? Minutes, hours, days? You get the idea, Thanks.
Well it's not a boat engine which is specifically designed for reliable operation of continuous high RPM.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to beat it but I have a habit of liking to keep the revs up
Mine turns >2500 RPM all the time except when stopped at a light. >3500 is where the meat starts.

If I'm feeling my oats I might rev up to 5k on city streets but truly unless you're ON the gas, high RPM doesn't accomplish anything.

I guess by '4-banger' you're talking about a Honda 1.6l which yes DOES need to live at 4000 and loves staying there to maximize the VTEC etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Doug T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
As I said earlier, I was referencing Miata's and WRX's. It's good to know these motors are built because with the WRX, (Maybe it's just me) but I kept thinking this thing's gonna blow up one of these days. All that turbo crap and whatnot. And since I voided the warranty with just a tune and pipe it was stressful. My goal is a solid powertrain and let me play with suspension and stuff. I did a lot of homework before I took a leap of faith with the Mustang but hearing it from folks who have been down this road is the best form of reassurance. Thanks

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
I'm trying to get a handle on how stout these 5.0 motors really are. Hypothetically if you could drive around in let's say 3rd gear at 6k rpm, how long do you think the motor could take it? Minutes, hours, days? You get the idea, Thanks.
As long as you keep the oil and coolant temp under control, a fairly long time. They actually have more issues getting real hot and then immediately being brought down to an idle and sitting for a while. Some companies make engine coolant crossovers on the back of the engine to help alleviate this issue. Any time you put some real heat in it, it's a good idea to do some cooldown passes afterwards if you don't have this mod. Ultimately, these engines are not endurance engines like you'd see in Le Mans or other endurance type races, but a lot of that comes down to what provisions the engine has to keep oil pressure up, oil temp between 210-280 F, and the engine coolant temp consistent. Those 3 things really determine when that engine fails, as long as the engine has stout parts that don't fail from metal fatigue or something else along those lines.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Pretty much what was stated above. The engine will get toasty and the oil with it. Everything works together. Run some high viscosity oil and have good cooling then an engine can live in that range for quite a while. Use an oil that'll have the MOFT wiped away and your engine is toast, no matter how stout it is. Hence why the gt350 calls for 5w50 as opposed to the GT's 5w20.

Risto2G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2, Recaro, B&O K7 GSXR750
Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Engine will be fine but you'll incur more wear quicker and have to do maintenance in shorter intervals (oil changes/coolant, etc). You mentioned tuning your previous vehicle. Ford performance has a tune that will increase low end torque by 40 @ 2000 rpm (and add 19 HP but you'll be restricted to 91 and above octane) and it will still be warrantied for 3 yrs from when you purchased the vehicle. That can be an option if you want more low end oomph.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
If you had bought a Camaro or Challenger, you'd feel more low down torque. Regardless, the 5.0L still produces 420lb-ft which is nothing to sneeze at...a lot more than a Miata. A turbo WRX - not sure, but turbos usually increase low down torque. Driving an F-150 with the 5.0 vs either of the EcoBoost makes the V8 feel flat off the line. But around 4k this engine is very strong.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As I said earlier, I was referencing Miata's and WRX's. It's good to know these motors are built because with the WRX, (Maybe it's just me) but I kept thinking this thing's gonna blow up one of these days. All that turbo crap and whatnot.
I can't speak to what Miatas want from any recent small-bore 4 experience, but small-displacement NA engines do need to get some revs showing before much happens. I once built a 7500 rpm 2.0L OHC Ford motor that started to wake up at a little over 3200 rpm.

WRXs and most current turbocharged motors still want you to be running at a little over 2000 rpm just so positive boost happens without noticeable lag. But that's not in the NA engine's playbook, and 2000 rpm should be reasonably do-able with a Coyote in normal driving. FWIW, Subaru engine failures tend to be the result of less than skilled aftermarket tune-writing and people chasing the big power numbers without doing enough in the way of supporting mechanical mods.

Norm

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
FWIW, Subaru engine failures tend to be the result of less than skilled aftermarket tune-writing and people chasing the big power numbers without doing enough in the way of supporting mechanical mods.

Norm
That and subarus are NOTORIOUS for having terribly designed oil pans. High G situations have been known to let the pickup run dry, followed by spun bearings a moment later

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
Sorry but I would question the question.

Why (in the real world) would anyone be stupid enough to stay in 3rd gear @ 6000 RPM - for any extended / unnecessary length of time? Even specific built Race Engines have a massively reduced life expectancy at sustained high RPM - in a quantum of hours.

However my observation and experience with the Coyote (Gen 2 & 3) is that they are absolutely brilliant and resilient engines.
Sponsored

Last edited: