Sponsored

Drop in replacement high flow air filter. Are they really worth it ?

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
'21 Bone stock 5.0, A10. Looked at damn near all I can think of from Green Filter to K&N. Some oiled, some dry such as AEM or aFe. K&N is the lowest cost. aFm the most expensive. Are they really worth the cost ? The car is street driven only. Or, do I stick with stock ? Motorcraft or Wix replacements are only $20 at auto parts
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
'21 Bone stock 5.0, A10. Looked at damn near all I can think of from Green Filter to K&N. Some oiled, some dry such as AEM or aFe. K&N is the lowest cost. aFm the most expensive. Are they really worth the cost ? The car is street driven only. Or, do I stick with stock ? Motorcraft or Wix replacements are only $20 at auto parts
As in? Performance? Cleaning air? What are your expectations? You've already got the costs of motorcraft, are you riding dirt roads or something

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Jason Fenske of Engineering Explained did the tests. And answered all your questions. Look him up on youtube.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
They do make a difference at WOT at MAX RPM. Other than that you won't notice any difference at all. It's up to you to decide if you'll drive like that enough times to care.

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
I got that cai "sound" of by adding the k&n drop in with their pipe kit. It removes a bit of the restriction and sound tube from the factory set up. Satisfied with purchase and small gains it provided.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
The stock filter works fine for me. I’ve had plenty of aftermarket intakes and filters over the years, never noticed any noticeable gains from anything.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes ................... they are

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
As in? Performance? Cleaning air? What are your expectations? You've already got the costs of motorcraft, are you riding dirt roads or something
Trying to figure out if there is enough bump in hp/tq to justify chunking the factory filter now. Car has 6 k on the clock.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Jason Fenske of Engineering Explained did the tests. And answered all your questions. Look him up on youtube.
I will do so. I looked at your thread first before posting, hoping I'd find the answer.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
They do make a difference at WOT at MAX RPM. Other than that you won't notice any difference at all. It's up to you to decide if you'll drive like that enough times to care.
That was my take after looking at dyno posting by several of the manufactures.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
:) I don't need more intake noise that's for sure. In fact, I've already plugged the sound tube. As I don't run at WOT, I will save my money. Thanks to all for the responses.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a drop in and a big mouth - I read that this combination on an 18+ air box is probably about the best combination for most cars under most circumstances.

After a bit of reading, I went with AEM (it was a present from the misses and kids). I didn’t realise AEM are actually K&N’s dry option :

1635583774690.jpeg

1635583801828.jpeg

1635583832408.jpeg

I pulled the carbon trap :

1635583999606.jpeg

And plugged the sound tube :

1635584050976.jpeg

1635584071878.jpeg

At the same time :like:

WD :like:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I stick with stock paper filters. Living in a desert environment means a high flow's small gains aren't worth it to me.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I replace the OEM filter with a drop in AEM too. I doubt any potential power gains will be felt though. I did notice a small increase in induction note.

0p.jpg

0ppp.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a drop in and a big mouth - I read that this combination on an 18+ air box is probably about the best combination for most cars under most circumstances.

After a bit of reading, I went with AEM (it was a present from the misses and kids). I didn’t realise AEM are actually K&N’s dry option

WD :like:
K&N has been offering both wet & dry for about 5 years, now. Could be even longer.

99 put their CAI in my truck, at that time wet was it. I think so many were unable to get the oiling dawn, fouling the MAS.

They got tired of the griping form folks that don't read. And began offering the element dry. The same gause/media from what I can tell is used.

@ Ice445

I think the wet K&N in that environment will suit your needs. Lots of desert racers out there that could be viewed as proof. The oil picks up and holds the dust, quite well..

Not trying to sell you on the idea, just clearing some chaff .
Sponsored