Driving Update

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
It’s been a couple of months and 1,500 miles. Overall I’m very pleased with the car. It’s going to be a daily driver except when garaged during the winter road salt season (about 5 months). I’m happy with the two options I selected and no regrets that I passed on the Recaro seats (reminder: I’m an arthritic age 77). The regular seats are great and my wife concurs. I got used to the clutch pretty quickly with just one modification; I disabled the hill hold feature as I found it awkward to use. On the other hand my wife might benefit from that feature. I still may get the softer Steeda clutch spring to make it easier on my arthritic left knee. The shifter is smooth, but with one minor flaw; when I shift from 5th to 6th gear I have to consciously keep a little pressure to the right on the shifter or it will go into 4th gear. I haven’t done any hard speed shifting so I can’t comment on that aspect of the shifter. A nice feature would be a heads-up display of the speed and rpm readings. I’ve only driven on one curvy country road so far and the handling was great which I suspect is due in part to the MagnaRide (credit given where credit due). The driver’s memory seat is a nice old man feature but I prefer GM’s version where you can pre-set the exit position. I use the normal and quiet exhaust modes almost exclusively (80/20). About a month before I got the Bullitt, I had a hearing test and all was fine - not even close to needing hearing aids. However, I can’t hear the turn signals while the car is moving (ex. Entering an expressway) unless I am in the quiet exhaust mode. Ford Service informed me there is no fix available to make it louder or the arrows more visible. I did use the snow/wet driving mode during a heavy rain storm and it was definitely beneficial given the power available to those rear wheels. I’m pleased that the ride is comfortable enough for trips - as long as there are only the two of us. Like my home computer, I will never come close to utilizing the car’s full capability as I am not into serious performance driving, but I’m okay with that which is all that matters.

One of the main attractions to the Bullitt
for me originally was the styling and sleeper look - no pony emblem on the front, no call-out numbers on the sides, no rear spoiler, etc. which still holds true. The Highland Green color is very attractive in my opinion (a little Irish/Scottish bias?) plus it’s nice that it is unique to the Bullitt. My college age granddaughter now thinks her grandfather is an extra cool guy even though I still wear white sneakers. In her words, the car is “baaad” which I guess means really good. So, overall I would have to give the Bullitt high 9s on a 1 to 10 rating scale with the performance and exhaust sound definitely getting 10s. I haven’t had a car that sounds so nice since my ‘55 Ford V8 convertible with dual glass packs. So I guess the “LAST TOY” will be around for a while. It’s nice to feel good about a $50 G purchase - so far... Bruce
Sponsored

Shibaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. BAD GRN
It’s been a couple of months and 1,500 miles. Overall I’m very pleased with the car. It’s going to be a daily driver except when garaged during the winter road salt season (about 5 months). I’m happy with the two options I selected and no regrets that I passed on the Recaro seats (reminder: I’m an arthritic age 77). The regular seats are great and my wife concurs. I got used to the clutch pretty quickly with just one modification; I disabled the hill hold feature as I found it awkward to use. On the other hand my wife might benefit from that feature. I still may get the softer Steeda clutch spring to make it easier on my arthritic left knee. The shifter is smooth, but with one minor flaw; when I shift from 5th to 6th gear I have to consciously keep a little pressure to the right on the shifter or it will go into 4th gear. I haven’t done any hard speed shifting so I can’t comment on that aspect of the shifter. A nice feature would be a heads-up display of the speed and rpm readings. I’ve only driven on one curvy country road so far and the handling was great which I suspect is due in part to the MagnaRide (credit given where credit due). The driver’s memory seat is a nice old man feature but I prefer GM’s version where you can pre-set the exit position. I use the normal and quiet exhaust modes almost exclusively (80/20). About a month before I got the Bullitt, I had a hearing test and all was fine - not even close to needing hearing aids. However, I can’t hear the turn signals while the car is moving (ex. Entering an expressway) unless I am in the quiet exhaust mode. Ford Service informed me there is no fix available to make it louder or the arrows more visible. I did use the snow/wet driving mode during a heavy rain storm and it was definitely beneficial given the power available to those rear wheels. I’m pleased that the ride is comfortable enough for trips - as long as there are only the two of us. Like my home computer, I will never come close to utilizing the car’s full capability as I am not into serious performance driving, but I’m okay with that which is all that matters.

One of the main attractions to the Bullitt
for me originally was the styling and sleeper look - no pony emblem on the front, no call-out numbers on the sides, no rear spoiler, etc. which still holds true. The Highland Green color is very attractive in my opinion (a little Irish/Scottish bias?) plus it’s nice that it is unique to the Bullitt. My college age granddaughter now thinks her grandfather is an extra cool guy even though I still wear white sneakers. In her words, the car is “baaad” which I guess means really good. So, overall I would have to give the Bullitt high 9s on a 1 to 10 rating scale with the performance and exhaust sound definitely getting 10s. I haven’t had a car that sounds so nice since my ‘55 Ford V8 convertible with dual glass packs. So I guess the “LAST TOY” will be around for a while. It’s nice to feel good about a $50 G purchase - so far... Bruce
I am with you. I am not a puppy at 62....but still love hot cars. Mine is optioned like yours. Great car! I am lucky to live 10 min for bumpy curvy river roads. 40 min to salmon falls rd....an incredable rd of curves. The car on sport or track is amazing on the corners. Yesterday i had a shop remove the resonator and install a h pipe. Wow! An amazing sound on normal and sport. Track is too loud for street.