Driveshaft coupler going out

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So had a buddy helping me out with the exhaust on my car as I'm a bit limited right physically. Well while under there we found the rubber coupler on the front of my drive shaft is torn, and a bolt looks kinda buggered up. Is it that common for these to fail? Not really wanting to buy a one piece at the moment, because of the fear of vibration, and things are kinda tight right now for me due to medical reasons. Can I just get a new coupler and bolts? Does anyone make something like a poly coupler, or solid mount? Ideally I would like to do something to get it back up and going for awhile until I'm in a better place to purchase a new shaft, but still worried about all the horror stories I hear about cf shafts blowing apart, failed CV issues, and vibration.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So had a buddy helping me out with the exhaust on my car as I'm a bit limited right physically. Well while under there we found the rubber coupler on the front of my drive shaft is torn, and a bolt looks kinda buggered up. Is it that common for these to fail? Not really wanting to buy a one piece at the moment, because of the fear of vibration, and things are kinda tight right now for me due to medical reasons. Can I just get a new coupler and bolts? Does anyone make something like a poly coupler, or solid mount? Ideally I would like to do something to get it back up and going for awhile until I'm in a better place to purchase a new shaft, but still worried about all the horror stories I hear about cf shafts blowing apart, failed CV issues, and vibration.
Well I found out that I can get a dorman replacement for cheap. Kinda makes me nervous being dorman, but maybe it will do the trick for a bit. Would still rather something like a solid aluminum or poly spacer though

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You got a link to the Dorman one?

OP
OP

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
After some research, I was wrong about dorman. Hopefully the dealer has one

atomicpunk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Since $$$ is tight see if anyone here would sell their stock driveshaft after a 1 piece swap. I ended up throwing my stock driveshaft in the scrap dumpster at work after trading in my S197.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
EDIT:
Found this link with more info regarding the guibo which is what the OP is referencing:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/warning-for-those-with-a-stock-driveshaft.94257/

ā€”ā€”
Just another a FYI:

IIRC, and I could be wrong - I thought that the S550 center support bearing is not serviceable apart from the driveshaft?

Iā€™m also not one whoā€™s comfortable with a 1-piece DS (yet). Iā€™ve seen too many people on this site spend big $$$ for Brand-XYZ only to experience vibes .... then the R&R to zero it in, still resulting with vibes... then you see the thing thrown up on the classifieds.

If anyone can post up a replacement center support bearing part # or add more input about possible replacement it would greatly help out others for future reference.

5Bullitt0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 V6,ā€˜15 Ecoboost,ā€™16 & ā€˜17 GT,ā€˜19 Bullitt
Had my ds center support bearing go out, or maybe itā€™s not quite done yet since itā€™s still ticking and not quite howling just yet. The Ford dealership here said it was just the bbq tick sound from the motor which resulted in me renting out a bay and lift to inspect myself. Itā€™s definitely the bearing on the ds šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø. My Bullitt has just under 9k miles and shouldnā€™t have gone out yet. I have seen replacement bearings for sale but really has me thinking that the ds must not be balanced correctly to have the bearing go out so quickly. I didnā€™t realize this was such an issue on these cars until I started researching other forums and speaking to other owners. Makes me wonder where all they went cheap on a car they were trying to charge over sticker for.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The drive shaft support bearing is not serviceable. The dorman is available for auto transmission cars. You can purchase from any auto parts store but is cheaper at rock auto
I have a good stock drive shaft I can sell
Maybe Iā€™m just lucky but I have no vibration with my one piece aluminum drive shaft
Sponsored