Sponsored

Drive modes - Normal, Sport, etc.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was going to post practically the same thing.

To me sport mode has more grunt (throttle input) down low, whereas the track mode is more linear (almost more linear than stock).

[MENTION=16352]markmurfie[/MENTION]

Mark, since I no longer have HPTuners and can't check myself. Could you please share with us the stock throttle tables for each mode?
Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
This?
Pedal visual.PNG

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
^^Great info, thank you!

Tacostrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roushcharged gt premium PP
Thanks [MENTION=16352]markmurfie[/MENTION]. Interesting to see the Sport and Track share the same table.
And not linear at all. Can this be adjusted by Lund,PBD,Rob Shoemaker etc? I’d like the throttle to stay the same as in normal mode but with the reduced traction control and advance trak in sport+ and track mode.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
And not linear at all. Can this be adjusted by Lund,PBD,Rob Shoemaker etc? I’d like the throttle to stay the same as in normal mode but with the reduced traction control and advance trak in sport+ and track mode.
Livernois V11 tune is already like that. Very linear.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes. It's a literal copy/paste of the Normal mode to the other tables.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have a question about drive modes. The manual doesn’t best explain the differences between Drag, Track, Sport and Sport +.
I know sport on the shifter allows you to manually control the paddles better but should you also be using sport on the shifter with the other drive modes?
I haven’t played around with my paddles yet, not sure how to engage or disengage although I’d love to try them. I will also try the car is Sport on the shifter solo as I haven’t tried that yet either..:
I was just curious about the other modes on the car In addition to using sport on the shifter.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I have a question about drive modes. The manual doesn’t best explain the differences between Drag, Track, Sport and Sport +.
I know sport on the shifter allows you to manually control the paddles better but should you also be using sport on the shifter with the other drive modes?
I haven’t played around with my paddles yet, not sure how to engage or disengage although I’d love to try them. I will also try the car is Sport on the shifter solo as I haven’t tried that yet either..:
I was just curious about the other modes on the car In addition to using sport on the shifter.
Sport on the shifter only controls the shift points (more aggressive shift down vs. holding gears for mileage) and paddles. The drive modes affect throttle mapping and traction and stability control mainly. The two operate independently, so if you are in Sport mode of the shifter and normal driving modes, the shift points will be affected by not the traction control or throttle. In general as you go from Normal to Sport+ to Track it will become more linear in response to the throttle and allow you to get a little more crazy with breaking the backend loose before it will reign it in. Hope this helps.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm trying to understand what these modes actually mean if we take the gearbox out of the equation. I understand that an A10 will shift differently depending on which mode you're in, but what if you have a manual gearbox? What do the various modes mean then?
Here's what I could gather so far, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Normal
- perfectly linear pedal-to-throttle mapping (e.g. press the pedal to x% of its travel, and the throttle will open at exactly x%)
- TC and ESC active at normal sensitivity
- MagneRide set to Normal
- steering defaults to Normal, but can be changed
- exhaust defaults to Normal, but can be changed

2. Sport+
- more aggressive pedal-to-throttle mapping (i.e. press the pedal to x%, and the throttle will open to y%, where y>x)
- TC and ESC active at normal sensitivity (same as in Normal mode)
- MagneRide set to Sport (presumably stiffer than Normal)
- steering defaults to Sport, but can be changed
- exhaust defaults to Sport, but can be changed

3. Track
- same pedal-to-throttle mapping as Sport+
- TC and ESC active, but more relaxed (lower sensitivity)
- MagneRide set to Track (presumably stiffer than Sport)
- steering defaults to Sport, but can be changed
- exhaust defaults to Track, but can be changed

4. Drag Strip
- MagneRide set to Drag Strip (i.e. soften the rear shocks to get more grip during launch)
- everything else is the same as Track mode

5. Snow/Wet
- milder pedal-to-throttle mapping (i.e. press the pedal to x%, and the throttle will open to y%, where y<x)
- everything else is the same as Normal mode

6. When it comes to throttle response, the only thing that changes between modes is the mapping between the pedal travel and the throttle travel. Not the speed with which the throttle opens. In Sport or Track the throttle will open up wider than in Normal for a given pedal travel, but not faster.

Is this correct?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
TC and ESC are more relaxed in sport mode than normal (and in track even more), which only makes sense. Everything else seems correct... but there are limitations what you can change in some modes. For instance, you cannot select comfort steering in sport mode.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Def agree trac control is relaxed in Sport. I drive Sport mostly, except when raining or warming car up. Normal is obviously less touchy on the throttle, and rain mode feels like it's a v6 lol, but keeps me from spinning the tires.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I unconsciously toggle into sport+ every time I start it, unless it is raining out and then I leave it in normal and switch to Snow/Wet mode if its really wet out. I haven't driven it on a really cold day yet.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
TC and ESC are more relaxed in sport mode than normal
Def agree trac control is relaxed in Sport.
Guys, are you sure about this? I couldn't find anything to confirm it.
The manual says there is a 'sport' TC/ESC mode, which makes them more relaxed and is achieved by pressing the TC button quickly twice. When it is active the TC/OFF warning light turns on.
But this feature is not available in cars which have drive modes. In those cars, according to the manual, the Track mode gives you a more relaxed TC/ESC, while nothing of the sort is mentioned in regard to the Sport mode. And when you switch to Track, the TC/OFF warning light will turn on, precisely to warn you that the TC and ESC are not operating to their full capacity (which doesn't happen in Sport).
If they were more relaxed in Sport, I think Ford would have made this clear one way or the other - at least to protect themselves from lawsuits. Making a major safety feature less effective without any warning on the dash and without any mention in the manual would be a legal disaster waiting to happen.
That's why I think it's very unlikely that the TC/ESC relax in Sport. Are you really sure they do?

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
No proof. Just seems I can get it more squirrelly in a 1-2 shift in sport vs normal. At full boogie. A 6th to 3rd shift on the hwy will also wiggle a hair in sport.
Sponsored