Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hey everyone,

I've come across an issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have searched the forums and tried some solutions that have worked for some but haven't worked for me so far. The issue is with my exhaust mode selection.

Everything works great right after start up but after about 30 minutes of highway driving in 6th gear I'll get the drive mode selection not available error. Normally if I drop out of 6th the exhaust valves will automatically open but they wont with the error after a short amount of highway time. The solutions I've seen have to do with either a mechanical valve failure, a solenoid issue, voltage issue, or computer/electrical issue. I think I could rule out the mechanical issue or a blockage because it always works on a cold start.

I read up on this thread here:
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/drive-mode-selection-not-available.1181881/

It seemed like I was going down the right track because my measured battery voltage was about 11.8V and the car always struggled to start. I had the battery tested and it tested good but only had about 55% capacity. I bought a charger to use while the car is sitting but after a week of testing that theory didn't pan out.

I would like to take it to the dealer and have the PCM flashed per this service instruction:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/4744/exhaus...ailable-message-in-ipc-2015-2017-ford-mustang

The reason that I haven't done so is because the car is tuned and I'm afraid I'll lose those tune settings. I don't have access to the hardware to re-tune it if I were to have the PCM flashed.

I'm hoping someone can help steer me in the right direction with this problem. It's the last thing I need to address before my car is 100% functional. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Did you load test the battery? It can show full voltage but still be bad.

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Did you load test the battery? It can show full voltage but still be bad.

Thanks for the response. I just did a typical battery test like you would get at autozone. Not sure what all they're looking at but it got a pass. I just assumed if I was getting the proper voltage I could rule out that issue. It doesn't take a lot to energize those little exhaust solenoids.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what type test they do. If its not electrical, then maybe its mechanical and may be binding when hot? Spray some lube on the valves?

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Not sure what type test they do. If its not electrical, then maybe its mechanical and may be binding when hot? Spray some lube on the valves?

I guess that would be an easy starting point. I haven't tried to get under there and look at any obvious damage or anything. I'll give that a shot today and report back. I just really would like to keep it out of a dealership. I don't want to have anything reset and I am way out of warranty lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rootbeer

Rootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I forgot to mention too that while its displaying the error, if you stomp on the gas the valves will open no problem. Makes me think that it's either something other than the exhaust or computer issues. Not really sure where to check though

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
One of mine was stuck open when car was new, binding. No parts for them so complete exhaust was replaced, Under warranty

Sounds like it could be sticking.

JonnyR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Ecoboost, 2016 Shelby GT350
Hey everyone,

I've come across an issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have searched the forums and tried some solutions that have worked for some but haven't worked for me so far. The issue is with my exhaust mode selection.

Everything works great right after start up but after about 30 minutes of highway driving in 6th gear I'll get the drive mode selection not available error. Normally if I drop out of 6th the exhaust valves will automatically open but they wont with the error after a short amount of highway time. The solutions I've seen have to do with either a mechanical valve failure, a solenoid issue, voltage issue, or computer/electrical issue. I think I could rule out the mechanical issue or a blockage because it always works on a cold start.

I read up on this thread here:
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/drive-mode-selection-not-available.1181881/

It seemed like I was going down the right track because my measured battery voltage was about 11.8V and the car always struggled to start. I had the battery tested and it tested good but only had about 55% capacity. I bought a charger to use while the car is sitting but after a week of testing that theory didn't pan out.

I would like to take it to the dealer and have the PCM flashed per this service instruction:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/4744/exhaus...ailable-message-in-ipc-2015-2017-ford-mustang

The reason that I haven't done so is because the car is tuned and I'm afraid I'll lose those tune settings. I don't have access to the hardware to re-tune it if I were to have the PCM flashed.

I'm hoping someone can help steer me in the right direction with this problem. It's the last thing I need to address before my car is 100% functional. Any help would be appreciated!
Found this out the day that i bought my 350. Problem was one of the valves was sticking. took it to a dealership about 3 times before they didn't fix it and just said screw them. I would say get the car warm and pull over and have someone open and close the valves with the button. You can either watch them open or not. From that point you have to figure out which valve is sticking which i wasn't really up for trying to figure that out. Valves aren't that much the last time i looked about $90-$100. I found an Aftermarket plug made by Grimmspeed that just loops the electrical system to pretty much bypass the valves. Problem is my valves aren't functional by selection. So instead of being able to have the option of being loud or quite...well you can probably guess which option i went with...

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I had the same message on my 2020 two months ago, but it turned out to be a pinched ride height sensor wire on the left front shock.

dealer had it fixed in two hours, and charged me $200, since they attributed it to me having aftermarket work done On the car that required taking the front bumper off.
Sponsored