Sponsored

Dreaded dash rattle - Fixed :)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
only in the past few days have i heard this, but a very noticeable rattle coming from the glovebox/footwell/dashboard area, and only when i get up above say 60 on the motorway. Could hear it even though i had the radio on.

Hard to pinpoint when you’re driving, but i’m confident it’s not something in the glovebox as i took everything out and it was still there. Does sound like it’s that general area though, perhaps even up behind the glovebox.

After Ford were finished with my warranty issue in March, i had something similar and they jiggled some cables around behind the glovebox which sorted it, but this I would say, is different.

Anyway, just posting in the hope someone may have had something similar and knows what it was. I have had a good poke around behind the glovebox where a lot of the cabling is tucked away but it all seems pretty tight and tidy.
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Mine is fairly rattle/creak free, internally at least. Strangely after it had been for its third service in April it came back with the driver seat making a noise (rubbing on the centre console) whilst moving it back/forwards but I can live with that.
Not Mustang related, as its not an option, but avoid sliding panoramic roofs at all costs. OMG does that creak in my Mondeo and they're never gonna fix it.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Try driving with no radio on and a stock (or fairly quiet) exhaust. Both of mine have had small dash rattles, squeaks and creaks and noises from the rear. Not loud enough to cause concern or to bother with the hassle of trying to remedy under warranty, it’s almost impossible to remedy this tiny annoyances. Really noises like that need to be eliminated a manufacture. An obvious reason why a mustang can still just about be purchased for roughly half the cost of an equivalent German model.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Paid a quick visit to the dealership today for an initial look at this. I took the master tech there for a quick run and he eventually heard the rattle. His initial theory was it was an outside rattle, enhanced by the extra wind when going above 50 - which is only when the noise starts.

After a bit of poking and tapping, we soon had the bonnet up, took off the battery cover and got a hint of a rattle from tapping the scuttle panel, so a few foam pads were placed under that by some of the clips. Alas, when I drove back to the office - rattle still present - no change. To my ears it sounds like it's behind the dash, most likely behind the glove box but very difficult to pin point.

It will be booked in asap so they can do more investigation :) at the very least, they suggested getting new clips for the scuttle panel - if that turns out to be linked to the noise.

Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated in case it helps someone else in future.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Also, fun fact - the tech mentioned that they have an acoustic sensing apparatus (not sure if that's the official title!) that can be set up to detect rattles. Found that quite fascinating - no idea something like that existed. Apparently a ball ache to set up, and most rattles are identified before they get to that stage.

This is the same tech that ripped my car to pieces earlier this year, so if anyone can sort it - he can. He's certainly keen to.

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I wish you the best of luck. I've rarely come across a technician willing to diagnose anything from noise. "That's normal sir..."

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Driving me madder by the day, I spent some time tonight with a torch in the passenger footwell, frantically poking around, no joy. Literally 2 minutes on youtube, and I found a USA owner who has posted the exact same noise () Turns out his issue was one of the plastic push pins holding the side skirts in place, so down I went to investigate...not easy to see where the pins go in, but I didn't need to because I found THIS LITTLE FUCKER poking out of the side skirt! Sort of inside it if that makes sense. God knows how it got in there, because I had to pull the plastic down to get it out...

IMG_2685.jpg

Anyway, fairly confident that's it based on the noise location. Interesting that it sounded like it was coming from inside despite being outside. Will confirm after my morning commute :)

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Rattle has definitely gone!

AB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
Same rattle here.

Noticeable at "elevated" motorways speeds.

It's the undertray underneath the side skirt behind the front wheels. The plugs holding it in place fail. Yet to source replacement plugs.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Same rattle here.

Noticeable at "elevated" motorways speeds.

It's the undertray underneath the side skirt behind the front wheels. The plugs holding it in place fail. Yet to source replacement plugs.
Yep, for me it started at just over 50mph, although very subtle. Cruising at 70 I could notice it over the radio.

As per the youtube video I linked above, when sat in the drivers seat, it does sound like the noise is coming from the door pillar/foot well area. I think you'd need to jack the car up in order to see/get to the clips, but whilst you're down there I would unclip it all, remove and check for any stones small enough to get in the gap and get trapped. More than likely what it is - there were quite a few comments from different owners that suggested theirs was the same fault (clips).

Sponsored

AB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
I don't suppose you've got a link to where I can buy the clips. Knowing me I'll probably break them pulling them out.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I don't suppose you've got a link to where I can buy the clips. Knowing me I'll probably break them pulling them out.
Sorry - no. I'd be asking the dealership for those, they can get hold of them easily. I think they replaced a fair few when my interior came out earlier this year.

Should be easy to remove with some trim picks.