The dreaded trade in - any advice?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hey all,

Panic mode has set in now - despite being on a few classified sites, forums & Facebook, I haven't got any interest in the Ecoboost, nothing, nada. Panic is justified because in theory the GT could land at the end of the month & I really didn't want to accept the Ford trade in price which is probably now £24-25k worst case.

Still putting in the effort to make a sale but in the event that I do go ahead with the trade in, does any one have any advice? I kind of feel that they have me over a barrel in that scenario, there is no incentive for them to give me anything more than the minimum - the profit made via the trade in will go towards my deposit for the GT.

Is there anything I can do here?

It's due a service now ("change oil soon" message popped up yesterday) so do I leave that? Do I remove my mods?

I've had crazy ideas like borrowing the cash I need for the deposit & keeping both Stangs, to sell the EB in the future, but then I would have to insure them both too, whilst paying for both cars, and paying back whatever money I borrow.

Any input at all greatly appreciated

:cheers:
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
For trade-in I would remove any mods you can do yourself. For the others you'd need to be sure you could sell for more than it would cost to remove them, and that could end up more hassle than its worth. Odds-on they'll tell you that "customers like a stock car" which while partly true will not stop them using the mods as a sales tool later.
I'm not up to speed on values but it might be worth dropping the asking price to what would be a bargain for the buyer but still more than you'd get part-ex.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Personally I'd remove the mods.... they won't give you any extra for them, and you can sell them on..

Reset the oil change warning.

Check out what WBAC and suchlike will pay...

Bite the bullet and go with the best offer and be done with it:)

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just checked Think Ford Guildfords web page and my Mustang GT I sold to them has been knocked down in price so even the second hand GTs aren't selling that well.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Personally I'd remove the mods.... they won't give you any extra for them, and you can sell them on..

Reset the oil change warning.

Check out what WBAC and suchlike will pay...

Bite the bullet and go with the best offer and be done with it:)
Forget Webuyanycar, they gave me a price of over £10'000 for my Fiesta ST online, when I took it in they knocked it down to £9'000 due to only having one key (which is fair) also needed a service, then it got silly and they started on stone chips and scuffed wheels and then the Paint Depth pen came out, now if it had been a Mustang i'd expect them to have found some issues with the paint as we all know Mustangs don't have the best of paint jobs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks guys, yea the spacers I can whip off easily enough - that will save me a couple hundred quid at least! Couldn't do the springs as I don't have the kit & paying someone to do it will probably cost as much as they are worth so will no doubt leave them on.

May be tempted to take the grilles out as well actually, Manders seems to be an expert at that now so he can walk me through it.

I think WBAC valued at 23 something, which hurts to think about

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think WBAC valued at 23 something, which hurts to think about
WBAC valued my GT at 25k, I just laughed. The buyer of mine saw it on ebay, didn't get any interest on autotrader and only got timewasters on gumtree.

666mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cars name (HAMMER)
If all else fails and the GT lands, you could go for an Oscar put a down Beat face on tell them your not able to have the new car and how gutted you are etc but just can't do the deal at 25k your like 2k short then say leave it with me but it looks hopeless so if you have a customer that may won't a new GT call him!!! look sad and walk away seed planted two days call him!! Tell him no luck unless you can help with more on the eb, now if all that fails try hammering them in the finance deal either way I reckon they would prefer a 26k eb over a new 40k gt, I wouldn't of ordered one just found a dealer with same spec desperate to sell cos new model imminent may have got a better deal. Good luck it's only money your happiness when you cat back the V8 will put the ££££ thoughts to the dark corners of your mind ha ha ha

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Have you tried Tootle?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Have you tried Tootle?
Never heard of it! But a quick look at the website & I have published an ad :) cheers for that.

Mac, that's not a bad plan b to be fair :lol:

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Have you tried Tootle?
Well, pretty please that an offer has come back already. £26k which is not quite what I am hoping for but no doubt better than the trade in value.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in the week!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Did you pay circa £33k for the car? If so, £26k after 18 months is not too bad.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
Well, pretty please that an offer has come back already. £26k which is not quite what I am hoping for but no doubt better than the trade in value.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in the week!
Not awful. A friend used his to advertise his X5 after he has some trouble getting interest. I didn't know about it either but I'll certainly use it.

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Did you pay circa £33k for the car? If so, £26k after 18 months is not too bad.

He must of paid less than that. I paid 33k for my car, a GT, and was offered £29k a couple of weeks ago by a trader after 7 weeks of advertising with just low ball private offers.

Still, 4k for 11,000 miles and 14 months of ownership was pretty good except I decided that I couldn't part with it.
Sponsored