Drag Race Showdown: 2020 GT500 vs Challenger Hellcat Redeye vs Camaro ZL1!

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
There are seven on EBAY with no waiting list.LOL
This also happened with the GT350s. Somebody would post one for sale at MSRP. 15 or whoever people would call and they’d end up going for quite a bit above MSRP.

If you ever find out what they sell for post it. Maybe the base GT500 won’t be as hot as the GT350 was and MSRP/below will be more realistic sooner.

The CFTP will command a very large ADM for quite while IMO. I hope I’m wrong though, but I doubt it.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Off topic, but have you posted in any thread on this site that does not involve a Camaro vs Mustang discussion since you've joined?
Many times. I like both, but not a fanboy. I’ve had both mustangs and Camaro’s, then a Vette.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
How can you say it loses in the turns? There has been no comparison yet.
Yet a few posts ago, you declared the ZL1 1LE the winner at the track.

02gtnh said:
So it looks like it can do both for a lot cheaper. So what am I reading wrong? The gt500 wins at strip, the 1le wins at track.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yet a few posts ago, you declared the ZL1 1LE the winner at the track.
I was just putting a thought out there that amateur's are putting near CFTP numbers at VIR full, how much more would Pobst do behind the wheel. If you read my whole comment, you would see that I said the 1le could or may beat the CTFP instead of cherry picking.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Is it any different here for the full blown hatred of the Camaro?
I think people insert more drama into their posts when they are constantly attacked by anti-Ford people. Heck, I own a Corvette right now and I don't have a modern Mustang, but I've been called a blind Ford fan boy many times by the Chevy people on this site.

I don't hate the Camaro, but constant biased posts on this site make me want to insult it. I've looked at Camaros in the past and even if I owned one, many of the anti-Ford posts on this Ford site would upset me.

At mid 60s I paid for the ZLE, it was a great purchase for my needs. A track monster that is fun to drive on the street and my family can ride with me. Yah, I’m very happy with it.
I'm glad you like it, and that's a great price. I frankly would have never considered one, mostly due to seeing reviewers bounce around in it. Heck, my Fiesta ST seems too firmly suspended to me. I've been thinking about replacing the shocks and springs with parts from a regular Fiesta.

I even felt that the GT350 had somewhat overly firm suspension. Both Mustang and Camaro are so big, heavy and high off the ground - very firm suspension is a method to compensate for that. Getting into my Z06 - the suspension is so much more compliant and forgiving. It's a real eye opener driving a car so light and low to the ground and feeling how much better everything works. I just wish it had a better engine and more interior room.

To me, even without seeing a test between the ZLE and base or CFTP GT500, I think the GT500 base or CFTP are both winners in any comparison. I would never buy a car just for the track, and having no bushings with just solid metal in the shocks - to me that's too much of a compromise. I feel like GM engineers basically gave up and made a car that is useless for anything but magazine comparisons. Maybe if I drove one or rode in it I would feel differently, I don't know.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
I was just putting a thought out there that amateur's are putting near CFTP numbers at VIR full, how much more would Pobst do behind the wheel. If you read my whole comment, you would see that I said the 1le could or may beat the CTFP instead of cherry picking.
I read the entire post I quoted you from. On one hand you want to extrapolate ZL1 1LE superiority at track based on various data sources but when someone suggests that the CFTP will outperform it in the same venue, you declare that it’s just speculation, as no head-to-head rest of them, by amateurs or professionals, has been conducted.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read the entire post I quoted you from. On one hand you want to extrapolate ZL1 1LE superiority at track based on various data sources but when someone suggests that the CFTP will outperform it in the same venue, you declare that it’s just speculation, as no head-to-head rest of them, by amateurs or professionals, has been conducted.
Are not you doing the same thing with the CFTP? You have no data that it will outperform the 1le at a track.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I think people insert more drama into their posts when they are constantly attacked by anti-Ford people. Heck, I own a Corvette right now and I don't have a modern Mustang, but I've been called a blind Ford fan boy many times by the Chevy people on this site.

I don't hate the Camaro, but constant biased posts on this site make me want to insult it. I've looked at Camaros in the past and even if I owned one, many of the anti-Ford posts on this Ford site would upset me.

I'm glad you like it, and that's a great price. I frankly would have never considered one, mostly due to seeing reviewers bounce around in it. Heck, my Fiesta ST seems too firmly suspended to me. I've been thinking about replacing the shocks and springs with parts from a regular Fiesta.

I even felt that the GT350 had somewhat overly firm suspension. Both Mustang and Camaro are so big, heavy and high off the ground - very firm suspension is a method to compensate for that. Getting into my Z06 - the suspension is so much more compliant and forgiving. It's a real eye opener driving a car so light and low to the ground and feeling how much better everything works. I just wish it had a better engine and more interior room.

To me, even without seeing a test between the ZLE and base or CFTP GT500, I think the GT500 base or CFTP are both winners in any comparison. I would never buy a car just for the track, and having no bushings with just solid metal in the shocks - to me that's too much of a compromise. I feel like GM engineers basically gave up and made a car that is useless for anything but magazine comparisons. Maybe if I drove one or rode in it I would feel differently, I don't know.
I don't think you'd enjoy daily driving the ZLE. Those who do just love the track car feel and want to experience it as much as possible like myself... maybe it's because I can't afford to do a track day every single weekend. If I could, I'd probably finally get tired of catching air on every single bump, haha!

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)

I'm with you until you talk about the GM engineers giving up and the ZLE is useless except for magazine comparisons. Quite the contrary, I'm surprised GM management allowed Al O and the Camaro team to go as far as they did. Multimatic DSSVs are in very few cars and one of those being a Ford GT. I get it is lost on you as you said you wouldn't buy a car strictly for the track. And if you felt the GT350 was too much at times, than yah, I get why you wouldn't even look twice at a car like the ZLE. If you want to talk about engineers giving up though, look at the GT350R. They didn't even engineer a spot with a tow hook in front. You need to take off the entire front end to get one modded/installed properly. No real factory adjustability for camber or sway etc for the first few years of the R. Most people that track the Rs seriously changed out the bushings, bearings, toe links and added frame stiffeners with rear sub frame lock outs. There is far too much flex in the Rs and I'm guessing the CFTPs suspension, which I'm guessing track rats will switch them on out the CFTPs as well. Last, don't get me wrong, CF wheels are really cool and all. But, most switch them out for fear of damage either on the street or track because they are far too expensive to fix or replace. Most get Signatures or Forgelines etc so budget in another 4-8k for a spare set of wheels/tires/TPMS. You don't need to do any of that to a ZLE. Plus now the ZLE come in both a manual (with rev match if you want with the flick of a paddle) and the A10 auto. I've read people here can't figure out a solution for a no drill license plate for the GT500. GM gives a simple bracket that comes of with four screws after you remove the plate. It takes five minutes at the track.

I really don't get loyalty to any brand much less an auto manufacturer, but these are emotional purchases. I really don't get your personal love of Fords and your trust that they will do the right thing after your own cooler debacle with your GT350. That was an expensive a pain in the ass and in the end for your trouble your transmission/diff warranty was void.

This isn't a dig at you, but my wife and I took the ZLE to Madison and back late fall for a long weekend. She never mentioned the ride being an issue once. I guess she is used to riding in cars like these. Like I said, it is all relative and the great thing for car lovers is we have a ton of great choices that suits nearly everyones likes and needs for what they want. I to want a light manual two seater someday. I've eyed used N/A GT4 Caymans for quite awhile a long with used GS Vettes etc.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think you'd enjoy daily driving the ZLE. Those who do just love the track car feel and want to experience it as much as possible like myself... maybe it's because I can't afford to do a track day every single weekend. If I could, I'd probably finally get tired of catching air on every single bump, haha!
I feel like I'm going to end up with a cumulative impact brain injury from riding in the Fiesta. If I thought I was invulnerable I could handle the ride - my wife never rides in it, so that part isn't a big deal either.

I'm with you until you talk about the GM engineers giving up and the ZLE is useless except for magazine comparisons. Quite the contrary, I'm surprised GM management allowed Al O and the Camaro team to go as far as they did. Multimatic DSSVs are in very few cars and one of those being a Ford GT. I get it is lost on you as you said you wouldn't buy a car strictly for the track. And if you felt the GT350 was too much at times, than yah, I get why you wouldn't even look twice at a car like the ZLE. If you want to talk about engineers giving up though, look at the GT350R. They didn't even engineer a spot with a tow hook in front. You need to take off the entire front end to get one modded/installed properly. No real factory adjustability for camber or sway etc for the first few years of the R. Most people that track the Rs seriously changed out the bushings, bearings, toe links and added frame stiffeners with rear sub frame lock outs. There is far too much flex in the Rs and I'm guessing the CFTPs suspensio, which I'm guessing track rats will switch them on out the CFTPs as well. Last, don't get me wrong, CF wheels are really cool and all. But, most switch them out for fear of damage either on the street or track because they are far too expensive to fix or replace. Most get Signatures or Forgelines etc so budget in another 4-8k for a spare set of wheels/tires/TPMS. You don't need to do any of that to a ZLE. Plus now the ZLE come in both a manual (with rev match if you want with the flick of a paddle) and the A10 auto. I've read people here can't figure out a solution for a no drill license plate for the GT500. GM gives a simple bracket that comes of with four screws after you remove the plate. It takes five minutes at the track.

I really don't get loyalty to any brand much less an auto manufacturer, but these are emotional purchases. I really don't get your personal love of Fords and your trust that they will do the right thing after your own cooler debacle with your GT350. That was a expensive a pain in the ass and in the ned for your trouble your transmission/diff warranty was void.

This isn't a dig at you, but my wife and I took the ZLE to Madison and back late fall for a long weekend. She never mentioned the ride being an issue once. I guess she is used to riding in cars lie these. Like I said, it is all relative and the great thing for car lovers is we have a ton of great choices that suits nearly everyones likes and needs for what they want. I to want a light manual two seater someday. I've eyed used N/A GT4 Caymans for quite awhile a long with used GS Vettes etc.
That is great that you and your wife have no problem with the ride quality! I always thought the GT350 suspension was perfect until I had it on some crappy secondary roads. Ironically I was driving south through MN to go trade it for my Corvette. It was actually a little frightening and quite difficult to control. I considered taking a different route on the way back with the Corvette. When I drove the same roads in the 'vette, I had no problems at all - even though I wasn't familiar with the car and its limits yet.

I think it's different to cheap out like Ford did on the GT350 than it is to build a car that is overly uncomfortable to ride in to make a performance number. I always buy cars knowing that 95% + of my time will be street driving and I want the car to excel at street driving more so than absolutely maximize track performance. But we all have differences on what compromises we will accept. You say I love Fords and yet I only have a crappy little s-box Ford (that I bought used) as my winter driver. I got rid of my GT350. If I loved and trusted Ford excessively I would have never sold it. And I'm not sure whether I will ever buy another new Ford.

So you can think I'm a fan boy. I think I'm just not enough of a Chevy fan boy to satisfy you. I don't say things about the ZL1 1LE because I'm a Ford fan boy. I say those things because that's what I think about the ZL1 1LE.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I feel like I'm going to end up with a cumulative impact brain injury from riding in the Fiesta. If I thought I was invulnerable I could handle the ride - my wife never rides in it, so that part isn't a big deal either.

That is great that you and your wife have no problem with the ride quality! I always thought the GT350 suspension was perfect until I had it on some crappy secondary roads. Ironically I was driving south through MN to go trade it for my Corvette. It was actually a little frightening and quite difficult to control. I considered taking a different route on the way back with the Corvette. When I drove the same roads in the 'vette, I had no problems at all - even though I wasn't familiar with the car and its limits yet.

I think it's different to cheap out like Ford did on the GT350 than it is to build a car that is overly uncomfortable to ride in to make a performance number. I always buy cars knowing that 95% + of my time will be street driving and I want the car to excel at street driving more so than absolutely maximize track performance. But we all have differences on what compromises we will accept. You say I love Fords and yet I only have a crappy little s-box Ford (that I bought used) as my winter driver. I got rid of my GT350. If I loved and trusted Ford excessively I would have never sold it. And I'm not sure whether I will ever buy another new Ford.

So you can think I'm a fan boy. I think I'm just not enough of a Chevy fan boy to satisfy you. I don't say things about the ZL1 1LE because I'm a Ford fan boy. I say those things because that's what I think about the ZL1 1LE.
I think you are a Ford fanboy for two reasons. The biggest one is because you have basically said you are in your own posts.

Two, you just complained about Camaro fanboys attacking Mustang owners here etc. Yet, I personally and others here have been on the receiving end of some pretty bad insults. “Too stupid to live without help.” Etc. But, you remain quiet about it because they are on “your team”.

I really don’t care what you or others say/think about the ZLE. I don’t buy my cars based on what others will think or what badge is on it. You of all people here I thought would know that. I try to talk cars with a few reasonable people on a few different forums. Plus I like to keep up to date what is actually going on with cars I may be interested in in the future.

As you said and I agree, Ford bean counters cheaped out on GT350 on a number of fronts. They could’ve really made the R the most track capable Mustang ever, but they held back due to cost and vanity. I’m curious if they did the same with the GT500.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
You own a C5 Z06 yet use it as an example as to why modern vettes / chevy products are no good. There's plenty of well documented issues with that car but you seem unwilling to fix or deal with any of them. It'd be like me buying a 2005 Mustang and complaining that Mustangs are underpowered and have crappy interiors.

Chevy gives you a clear choice - want a track machine? ZL1 1LE. If you don't, get the standard ZL1. I think the GT500 CFTP doesn't go far enough, especially for a 20 grand premium. CF wheels are nice, but do they really matter when most owners swap them out for a forged wheel because they're too afraid of damaging them on the track?

I feel like Ford engineers basically gave up [with the PP2] and made a car that is useless for anything but magazine comparisons. Maybe if I drove one or rode in it I would feel differently, I don't know.
Fixed that for you. I think Ford is more guilty of it than GM.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Find any post where I made a declarative statement it would.
Because you keep questioning when I say the 1le may beat the CFTP. So that would suggest you believe the CFTP will beat the 1le. Look at all my responses, and I say the 1le might, or may beat the CFTP. The wording after I said that is gt500 wins strip and 1le wins track was more a rhetorical question to Voodoo.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Chevy gives you a clear choice - want a track machine? ZL1 1LE. If you don't, get the standard ZL1. I think the GT500 CFTP doesn't go far enough, especially for a 20 grand premium. CF wheels are nice, but do they really matter when most owners swap them out for a forged wheel because they're too afraid of damaging them on the track?
I'm sorry, but most people don't like DSSV dampers and solid bushings. Porsche doesn't do it. BMW doesn't do it. Completely sacrificing ride quality for extra adjust-ability and track performance is just not being done anymore. People want to be able to drive to the track and put their cars in track mode and be done with it....and then put it in comfort mode and drive home. This is what Ford provided. And at the price these cars are demanding, it's to be expected. The market for $75k track cars that ride like shit is extremely small.

Case in point, look at the threads over at C6G forum on how to make their ZLE handle better on the street.

With that said, those that want a race car can buy the mustang GT4.