Drag Race Showdown: 2020 GT500 vs Challenger Hellcat Redeye vs Camaro ZL1!

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
So the gt500 can do 10.6 and the zl1 has done 10.9. So both in the 10’s. So there is video of the 1le doing under 2 min with no pro behind the wheel! So my guess with a pro, it maybe be faster the the CFTP. So it looks like it can do both for a lot cheaper. So what am I reading wrong? The gt500 wins at strip, the 1le wins at track.
The ZL1 wins at the following,

Better weight ratio (and less weight overall)
Lower price.
Width of rear tires.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
So the gt500 can do 10.6 and the zl1 has done 10.9. So both in the 10’s. So there is video of the 1le doing under 2 min with no pro behind the wheel! So my guess with a pro, it maybe be faster the the CFTP. So it looks like it can do both for a lot cheaper. So what am I reading wrong? The gt500 wins at strip, the 1le wins at track.
so the zl1 loses in straights, and loses in turns, less livable, but costs less. got it. what a great purchase. how many Ls do you guys need, i mean the car is dead, not only in sales, but my the automaker. GM accepted it.. time for the rest of you

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
so the zl1 loses in straights, and loses in turns, less livable, but costs less. got it. what a great purchase. how many Ls do you guys need, i mean the car is dead, not only in sales, but my the automaker. GM accepted it.. time for the rest of you
How can you say it loses in the turns? There has been no comparison yet.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Yeah, but I love my new ZLE and I admire your new GT500. You have a badass ride man.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
The crap around is getting canceled and will no longer be sold soon Why are we even dis using it any more.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Loses in the turns with more grip?

Loses in livability when it has back seats compared to a car that doesn’t?

At mid 60s I paid for the ZLE, it was a great purchase for my needs. A track monster that is fun to drive on the street and my family can ride with me. Yah, I’m very happy with it.

Value question for Ford guys. I have a Platinum F-150 for family, hauling and bad weather duty. Would you guys rather have a GT500 CFTP or a GT350R and a loaded Raptor/Platinum/Lariat for roughly the same price? That is what dealers are asking for these things, let that sink in a little.

Last edited:

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I never pay ADM. I would get the regular GT500 and keep the cost around $80K or less. $120K+ marked up GT500’s are just silly and once the “gotta have it now” people with more money than brains get theirs prices will come back down to earth.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I never pay ADM. I would get the regular GT500 and keep the cost around $80K or less. $120K+ marked up GT500’s are just silly and once the “gotta have it now” people with more money than brains get theirs prices will come back down to earth.
When though if you want a CFTP? My dealer has a waiting list for a regular GT500 they are getting for roughly 100k (25k ADM). He said they’ll go through the list and like their GT350s usually the third or fourth person on the list will come in and pay it within two hours. This lasted for years for both the regular GT350 and the R.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
When though if you want a CFTP. My dealer has a waiting list for a regular GT500 they are getting for roughly 100k (25k ADM). He said they’ll go through the list and like their GT350s usually the third or fourth person in the list will come in and pay it within two hours. This lasted for years for both the retail GT350 and the R.
CFTP is too impractical for me. I buy and sell lots of cars and one of the huge dealership networks here offered me MSRP on a GT350 within 12 months of them being available. I am guessing they would do the same for a GT500 in a year or so. I’m not in a hurry and it will between this and either a C8 or maybe a Porsche 911 (certified). I usually like to wait a year or two for any new car or major change/release. I also like to try and buy barely used because depreciation is crazy on most sports cars. I paid $48K for my 2018 GT350 that had 1400 miles on it and 70%+ of the certified warranty left. Hoping I can drive it for a few years and not lose much more than $10K

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Loses in the turns with more grip?

Loses in livability when it has back seats compared to a car that doesn’t?

At mid 60s I paid for the ZLE, it was a great purchase for my needs. A track monster that is fun to drive on the street and my family can ride with me. Yah, I’m very happy with it.

Value question for Ford guys. I have a Platinum F-150 for family, hauling and bad weather duty. Would you guys rather have a GT500 CFTP or a GT350R and a loaded Raptor/Platinum/Lariat for roughly the same price? That is what dealers are asking for these things, let that sink in a little.
I dream of the day dealers are eliminated... has to be a way to do it, just haven't figured it out.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
These are the posts I don’t get at all. Why are you angry at me? That is the going price from what I’ve read and a valid discussion point. I don’t give a shit what anyone spends on their car as it is their money. If the situation was reversed you’d outright be calling people paying 140k for a ZLE all sorts of names.

I actually legit feel bad for Ford fans and had my own hard time navigating Ford dealership BS over ADMs etc. If you think the car or anybody here thinks it is worth that than more power to you guys, I don’t and from what I remember from this site many many Ford Mustang fans don’t either and it seriously pisses them off.

125-140k puts it in competition with a lot of other really really good two seaters.

If you can’t see this as practical non fanboy manner I can’t help you. Rage on. :angry:
What led you to believe I was angry? I was actually seeking your opinion on why anyone would buy a GT500 over a ZL1, given the similar performance but big price disparity. If that made you feel attacked and that you needed to go on the defensive, I apologize.

In my experience, working with Ford dealerships to get around ADM's is not that big of a task, you just have to be patient and be willing to go to where the deal is versus trying to make the deal happen locally, If anyone is paying $125K plus for a GT500, they are unlikely to be considering any other vehicle to put in the garage, so it wouldn't matter if there were other really good two-seaters out there to chose from.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I dream of the day dealers are eliminated... has to be a way to do it, just haven't figured it out.
That is how Tesla sells them. Online buying.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Off topic, but have you posted in any thread on this site that does not involve a Camaro vs Mustang discussion since you've joined?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
What led you to believe I was angry? I was actually seeking your opinion on why anyone would buy a GT500 over a ZL1, given the similar performance but big price disparity. If that made you feel attacked and that you needed to go on the defensive, I apologize.

In my experience, working with Ford dealerships to get around ADM's is not that big of a task, you just have to be patient and be willing to go to where the deal is versus trying to make the deal happen locally, If anyone is paying $125K plus for a GT500, they are unlikely to be considering any other vehicle to put in the garage, so it wouldn't matter if there were other really good two-seaters out there to chose from.
Thanks/sorry, I read it wrong then and I need to apologize.

It’s deja vue for me and I’m sure others in the ADM game. Some said it was easy to get around them, but the vast majority including me were asking how. I have a very good relationship with my Ford dealer (I’ve bought 3 trucks, 2 GT350s and a Focus ST from them in the last 6 years). They asked me if I was interested in the incoming GT500. He knows I’m a manual guy, but also knows I love cars etc.

He also knows I just bought a ZLE etc. I asked if I was interested for whatever reason if things go south with the ZLE if they were willing to negotiate up from MSRP. He is very upfront with me as I am with him and we both appreciate it that way. He said he personally would, but the dealership management would never go for it even for great customers like me. He said they are willing to lose a longer term customer like me for a big hit like that because they will still make more money in the long run. He said they also don’t believe that the customer will really walk and end the relationship with dealership over it. I remember calling other dealers when I was looking for a GT350 and they said well if you had a relationship with us etc, which is bullshit. So it was/is this circular BS with dealers.

I can see many reasons someone would buy a GT500 over a ZL1. Ford/Mustang fan of course. The DCT is most likely better than the A10. It is a better all around more livable (with back seats) car. If someone is into both drag racing/straight line speed. If someone wants the latest and greatest for cars and coffee shows etc. If someone wants the newest/greatest in their garage etc etc.

It is an unfortunate thing that the deep pocket customer truly wrecks it for the Ford die hard and drives an already very expensive car into crazy territory. I feel for the GT350R guys that stretched to buy their dream car at crazy ADMs and now have lost a ton of money/value. I see that happen to some here and it flat out sucks.

Hopefully not TLDR, I’m on vacation now and have had a few beers. Either way, the SS 1LE, ZL1s, GT350s and GT500s are amazing cars and you really can’t go wrong with any of them. They are all great cars with their strengths and minuses.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
When though if you want a CFTP? My dealer has a waiting list for a regular GT500 they are getting for roughly 100k (25k ADM). He said they’ll go through the list and like their GT350s usually the third or fourth person on the list will come in and pay it within two hours. This lasted for years for both the regular GT350 and the R.
There are seven on EBAY with no waiting list.LOL