Dome Map light swap question

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2013 V6 Mustang Convertible, 2020 GT Convertible CS
Hey guys, Got some led's to swap out with the current dome lights. Everything online I have come across says the whole dome light housing area just pulls off. Is this the case with our Verts as well? I ask because I have tugged at the thing pretty hard and am in real fear of breaking something if I pull any harder. The only place i can get a real finger hold on it is in the back, and I have pried it to its braking point but let off. So just figured I would ask before breaking anything as thats usually my style and I dont want to break it. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
So I have pulled on the housing as hard as I dare before knowing if this is how to remove it. If I pulled any harder it would have been, pulling it till it comes off no matter what, and just dont want to break it. So what is the trick to getting the housing off that has the dome lights, and our top switch? I have pulled, wiggled, pried, and it hasnt given an inch as far as releasing.

TigerStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
There are some YouTube videos on this. I would think the vert is the same as the coupe. Looks like there are two spring clips that do hold it tightly.

OP
OP

S550VertCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
There are some YouTube videos on this. I would think the vert is the same as the coupe. Looks like there are two spring clips that do hold it tightly.
Yea I watched them. Many replies of breaking the clips. I know that's what I will do. I managed to get one changed by popping out the light cover, but little to no finger room and operating blindly, I managed to knock the socket loose on the passenger side so now have no choice but to get that housing off.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Wow, this prompted me to do a little research. It looks like getting that down is a real shit show! There is an old thread on here that's several pages long but has some tips on getting it down without breaking anything but many more with tips on how to fix it when it breaks.

Good luck!

It makes me glad I don't want LEDs in the map lights or the vanity mirrors. I've made that swap in other cars and the LEDs are just to harsh for me.
I have added some strip LEDs to the roof of the trunk to light up that dark hole and a strip under the hood on a mercury switch and changed the reverse light but those are the only lighting changes I intend to make.

Sponsored

ev0kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo 9 68751114awhp - 2020 Ford Mustang GT Vert - 2018 Mustang GT350
The way i did it was put a thin tower over flat head screw driver and pry on the left side by pushing into the housing and pulling down and with A LOT i MEAN A LOT OF FORCE it came off on the left and do the same on the right ....just dont break anything as far as navi screen or anything lol

Ed 718

TURBO JUNKIE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@ed718_bkny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metal GT Premium
on my 16 it popped out and snapped back in easily however on my new 19 it took some force but eventually it did pop out HOWEVER getting it to fit back in snug did not go as planned and still to this day fits loose

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
on my 16 it popped out and snapped back in easily however on my new 19 it took some force but eventually it did pop out HOWEVER getting it to fit back in snug did not go as planned and still to this day fits loose
Mine too, but the case is so light that just a tiny amount of double-sided tape (e.g. 3M VHB) on each side has made it stick fine for the last half year.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I was able to change the map light bulbs by pulling the lenses out instead of the whole lamp housing. Had an led fail after a very short time and didn't want to risk another r&r on the lamp housing. That is indeed a sh*t show!

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I tried removing the one in my 17 and I swear I could have done pull ups on that thing. Finally gave up. Now I also have the passenger bulb assembly rattling around in there. At least I did get the bulb in before the assembly popped loose.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Post 2018 facelift cars are attached more firmly with more clips so some of the old videos about removal don't really hold true any more.
Sponsored