Does the EB ECU "dumb down" mods?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Emblem looks good [emoji106] As far as livernois claim,yes it would be nice for some backing info. I will say they seem to be the fastest of the tunes out right now which is good backing in my mind that they've got something figured out.Iam going with a custom Cobb tune which iam hoping matches the livernois numbers,iam not impressed with what Ive seen from cobbs ots tune.iam really hoping a protune makes up the difference.
I agree about the canned Cobb tune. Although it's an improvement over stock, it most certainly doesn't feel like a low-mid 12 second car like the other tuners are showing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
Ok, I'm going to break it down to specifics from this board without making accusations -

Thermostat - Required for one of their stage upgrades. Helps over come the sky high intake temps. Proof requested months ago, none given so far.

Intake - Used a stock photo of the Air Raid intake, claimed it was their own design. Had to be pressed multiple times to say that Air Raid makes it. Still claimed that they made multiple changes to the interior but still haven't shown pictures or anything of what was changed.

Stock IC is fine - This is the first time I've heard them say that. And they didn't give a good explanation behind their opinion (and it's contrary to what every other tuner has stated).

And now my .02 cents - Spend your money where you want. But personally if a company wants to charge a higher price than everyone else for their parts and the only explanation for why I should buy them is that - they are the best - I'm not buying it.
No, I actually don't own any of their products yet, but I will be purchasing their Balance Shaft delete kit when it's released. And its reasons like that that I'm making the same point, we should be encouraging and begging vendors to get on board. I personally am only interested in MAPs and WMS products simply because their customer service is outstanding. You're exactly right too, it is completely up to the consumer if they want to purchase a product without hearing from the vendor or having any proof of functionality, but it is bad for us and for this board, whom I'm sure would like to have these vendors pay for advertising, for us to run them off. I'm with you on almost all of these points, I just disagree with the way a lot of people are attacking some vendors on here.

Sponsored

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
I agree about the canned Cobb tune. Although it's an improvement over stock, it most certainly doesn't feel like a low-mid 12 second car like the other tuners are showing.

What other tuners are showing low/mid 12's with just a tune? Pump gas, 93oct?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
What other tuners are showing low/mid 12's with just a tune? Pump gas, 93oct?
Bama was 12.98 (tune only). Sorry, i was thinking they were 12.4-12.6, but that was probably Livernois.

With a 93 tune, FMIC, charge pipes, and full exhaust, Bama ran a 7.7 1/8th mile which is roughly a 12.1 in the 1/4. More tuners should be releasing there official results soon.

Last edited:

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Bama,livernois,jlp all are solidly in the 12's. Cobb from what I've seen is just a few tenths better than stock times or in some cases not even matching the stock cars best times.
Not low 12's but considerably faster than Cobb from what ive seen at this point.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bama was 12.98 (tune only). Sorry, i was thinking they were 12.4-12.6, but that was probably Livernois.

With a 93 tune, FMIC, charge pipes, and full exhaust, Bama ran a 7.7 1/8th mile which is roughly a 12.1 in the 1/4. More tuners should be releasing there official results soon.

I don't think you should use the 1/8 to 1/4 calculators because these cars fall off really hard up top.

Bama,livernois,jlp all are solidly in the 12's. Cobb from what I've seen is just a few tenths better than stock times or in some cases not even matching the stock cars best times.
Not low 12's but considerably faster than Cobb from what ive seen at this point.
I don't care what vendors run -- I'm more interested in seeing what actual drivers run. Take Mike for example -- he was running mid 12's on drag radials with a tune/intake -- but his tune was far from what Torrie sends out to your average driver.

I don't think that Cobb's tune is as aggressive - but it's far from a "marginal improvement" and I'm far from disappointed with it... especially for it being just a basic tune.

Check out this thread and compare his post (OP) to my post (Tune only)... I'm not even a PP car.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17630

KazyMedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX-8 and Toyota 86
wireless; I don't think that Cobb's tune is as aggressive - but it's far from a "marginal improvement" and I'm far from disappointed with it... especially for it being just a basic tune.[/QUOTE said:
I have it and it is very VERY conservative. I can run the 93 tune on 92 fuel with no problems at all....in Hawaii for that matter. So while it is a pretty large improvement over stock, it is still weak. Just where the power band lies compared to other tunes. Cobb OTS is good down low, but that is about it. It really has no power above 4500 RPM.

Sponsored

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Compare Cobb's dyno charts to the other charts.
The charts are very similar to other tuners, albeit with a bit lower numbers. I'd love to find any other tuner that has "a better power band" compared to the Cobb tune. No other tuners have a lot of power above 4500-5000rpm's.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
And, once again, compare the speedo videos I just posted -- my tune only car is extremely similar to the FBO Ecoboost shown.

KazyMedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX-8 and Toyota 86
If you look in the real world 1/4 times section, you will see cobb in the mid-upper 13's. Which is great, but not 12's.

P.S. I own the Cobb AP, so this is actually a subjective and objective source of information.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
I care what vendors run because I've never had a hard time hitting vendors times.They're not doing anything that I as a consumer can't. Like I said am getting a custom Cobb tune and hopefully it's worth it.I think the Cobb with a local protuner has more flexibility for future mods/turbo upgrades which is why I didn't go with Livernois. Livernois looks to be the best tune out IMO and is what I'd have if a Cobb shop wasn't so close. I really have high hopes for Cobb to deliver:)
Yes cobbs mid upper 13's are not bad but I've seen stock cars that hit 13.6-13.8,it'll take more than that to impress me.

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Mbrenin is the only non vendor that I have seen post what his times were which was a 12.8 with the Airaid CAI, Unleashed tune and DR's; he also said he saw -7 degrees of timing on the big end which means the computer pulled a lot of timing due to the heat soak/ineffective IC.

Livernois hero run was also done with race gas and I bet if they would have done a back to back run with their numbers would have been a lot different due to heat soak.

No tuner can overcome the limitations of the stock IC and for anyone, esp a vendor to say the stock IC works fine is ludicrous.
Sponsored