no ethanol added, or MTBE that I've heard about
we have 91 RON, E10 which is 91 plus 10% ethanol, 94 RON and 98 RON
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The car really needs to be logged to know for sure. On the gen3 even stock on 93 they get a little knock retard in the mid-range so octane booster would help them. I’m not sure about gen2.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you're at WOT for extended periods of time, like at a track day, it probably makes sense to run a bit more octane for safety. But the Copperhead ECUs are pretty smart and quick to address timing if there's knock present. Even moreso in the Gen 3 with 4 knock sensors.

Running 93 on the street, you don't need it. Again, the ECU is pretty darn smart to reign in knock if present and there's little to no harm in it doing it. From my experience, I actually see more timing on 93 around town because again the ECU is smart and will add timing if no knock is detected. I don't think you'll have an issue with quality 93 gas.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Adding extra octane above the design limit will actually slow the ET and MPH
No it will not slow down. If the ECU is giving 90 Octane timing it will still give 90 octane timing with 116 octane gas.

It will not go slower and it will not go faster.

I learned this when I first started drag racing back in the point and distributor days.

The only time it would go slower was if we over advanced the timing. On low octane gas it would knock, on the high octane it would not knock but it would lose power.

Computer controlled engines will not go past MBT timing so any gas that meets the max octane requirements will give max power.

IE if it is programmed for 91 adding 100 will not cause it to slow down.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I still have my offset box wrench used for the lock bolt on a distributor. I need to have it bronzed. :crackup:

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
No it will not slow down. If the ECU is giving 90 Octane timing it will still give 90 octane timing with 116 octane gas.

It will not go slower and it will not go faster.
IE if it is programmed for 91 adding 100 will not cause it to slow down.
YIKES….. how’d we get to 116 octane on a pump gas OEM ECU strategy thread.
I’m sticking by what I stated not because of the actual octane # but the attributes of high octane fuel compounds and their effect on the combustion event.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I’m sticking by what I stated not because of the actual octane # but the attributes of high octane fuel compounds and their effect on the combustion event.
OK show us your actual 1/4 mile times that went slower due to using 100 octane gas after using the programmed max octane gas. In other words if your car is programmed for 91 run it with 91. Then add 100, 110 or 116 no other changes. It will not slow down, nor will it go faster. However it may knock on 91, so 100 gives a safety margin. EDIT and if it is knocking on 91 it will go faster on the 100 and above.

Don't believe me, try it at your next tune and test night.

Lots of times engineering papers do not work in the real world.
(which causes engineers to get phone calls at 3 AM because the plant they re-engineered is down.) Because when the machine operator said "I need to be able to manipulate that parameter" the super smart engineer says "no you don't"

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
MAd Dog 20/20 is the answer. Half a pint in the tank. The rest in my tank ! :party: 🙄

1627913174063.png

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
A quality octane booster or fuel additive definitely helps to raise octane and prevent pre ignition detonation. That goes hand in hand with your knock sensors and the ability to hold timing.
We’ve used both Torco and Boostane over the years on several builds of ours with great results.
We have Boostane in stock and can easily ship some Torco as well so feel free to reach out to us if there’s anything we can help you with.
Sponsored