Sponsored

Does octane booster work

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I've been reading about how gen 2 engines retard timing under certain conditions, mine is a 17 Australian version.
Does it help if you add octane booster while running premium fuel
Car is stock
Sponsored

OP
OP
gj

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Should have mentioned was wondering about using it just at the drag strip

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
With crappy fuel in AZ , and being FI , I have to run it . I can notice a huge difference if I don't. 1 Oz To 1 gallon US .

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry , that would be Boostane .

Reactions: gj

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Does it help if you add octane booster while running premium fuel
Car is stock
Fuel Octane vs. maximum power/detonation protection required octane is complicated by modern ECU strategies.
To keep the answer to your question simple and all things being equal your motor will run its hardest and fastest ET when using the exact octane required by the designers.
Adding extra octane above the design limit will actually slow the ET and MPH.
Being you’re running a stock program you’ll find the best ET using high quality fresh 91 pump gas octane.
This can become a complicated topic once a person moves into a modified ECU strategy.

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Fuel Octane vs. maximum power/detonation protection required octane is complicated by modern ECU strategies.
To keep the answer to your question simple and all things being equal your motor will run its hardest and fastest ET when using the exact octane required by the designers.
Adding extra octane above the design limit will actually slow the ET and MPH.
Being you’re running a stock program you’ll find the best ET using high quality fresh 91 pump gas octane.
This can become a complicated topic once a person moves into a modified ECU strategy.
That's not true. Although the benefits of running higher than 93 octane on a factory tune car are probably negligible, it would not slow the car down.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I have shitty 91 fuel in California. I have a Lund tune. When I run VP fuels OctaniumI can feel a difference to when I’m not running it. I don’t do it often though, maybe once every couple of months just to have a fun tank a gas.

Reactions: gj

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Sorry , that would be Boostane .
Must suck living off 89a .......... :frown: The tourists would drive me nuts. Really takes the fun out of the twisties. :explode: There is a reason I hate pull behind trailers and motorhomes !

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I have shitty 91 fuel in California. I have a Lund tune. When I run VP fuels OctaniumI can feel a difference to when I’m not running it. I don’t do it often though, maybe once every couple of months just to have a fun tank a gas.
Hell, living anywhere near Dizzy World would cause the car to pull timing. :crackup:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just one of many sources, I’ll stop with the attached link.
To much octane will result in slower ET and MPH.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/octane-vs-horsepower-separating-fact-from-myth-in-the-debate-over-which-fuel-makes-more-power/?amp
hahaha really? Adding e85 without tuning for it is completely different than running ~95,96 unleaded fuel. Again, on a stock tune the gains would be negligible. However, on a tuned vehicle the higher octane definitely helps. Also, modern ECUs like the one in the s550 mustang account for fuel octane. So the ecu adds timing until it detects knock(up to a certain limit of course). When you run lower octane fuel, the ecu cannot add timing and may actually reduce timing.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
However, on a tuned vehicle the higher octane definitely helps. Also, modern ECUs like the one in the s550 mustang account for fuel octane.
All good points but my intent was to keep my post directed to the OP who’s running OEM programming. The actual octane # is dependent on the Coyotes designed cylinder pressure / BMEP. Using fuel with an octane higher than this requirement will slow the OP’s car down. This is unless Ford has actually designed the factory program to accommodate a fuel octane higher than pump gas 91/93.

Last edited:

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Must suck living off 89a .......... :frown: The tourists would drive me nuts. Really takes the fun out of the twisties. :explode: There is a reason I hate pull behind trailers and motorhomes !
Early morning runs can be fun , and the damn tourist pay the bills 🙄

OP
OP
gj

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Another thing is our best fuel is 98 RON which apparently is lower than 93 in the USA

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Another thing is our best fuel is 98 RON which apparently is lower than 93 in the USA
What is the ethanol % in your Down Under Premium Petro ? Any MTBE added ?
Sponsored