Sponsored

Does Ford make street pads for Performance Package brakes?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I know there are aftermarket options, but wondering if Ford had anything that fits.

Follow-up question: Are the pads on rear PP brakes any different than with the non-PP car?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are aftermarket options, but wondering if Ford had anything that fits.

Follow-up question: Are the pads on rear PP brakes any different than with the non-PP car?
Ford doesn't, no. The stock PP pads are very good street pads, though a little dusty. The rear pads between the PP and non PP are different but very similar.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Brian.

What do you recommend to replace the PP front pads for a DD? (I already have the Ford p/n for non-PP rear pads.)
If you plan to track the car, G-LOC GS-1, as you can then easily switch to something like their R10 without touching the rotors. I am really enjoying them. Quiet, low dust, with very nice modulation characteristics and all the stopping power retained (but not the high temp range of a track pad). They did fine at the first autocross too, though I'll be switching to the R10 fronts for all events now.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The stock pads on the performance pack ARE street pads. What made you think that they are not street pads, or what aspect of them do you not like on the street that you are looking for something else?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The stock pads on the performance pack ARE street pads. What made you think that they are not street pads, or what aspect of them do you not like on the street that you are looking for something else?
Agreed they are a good street pad. The only thing that's less-than-great about them for street use is the dust, but true track pads dust quite a bit worse still.

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Because they grip harder (like a track pad) than the pads with the non-PP 4-piston brakes, because they make more dust (like a track pad), and they handle more heat (like a track pad).

Surely there are even grippier, higher temp pads than the Ford PP1's. But what I want to do is put the PP1 pads on the shelf on day 1, put on street pads for DD, and then switch out pads for track day. Car will still stop good, and I don't have to deal with the dust.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Question: Are the PP1 pads a good compromise for street and track use?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
HAWK
HPS 5.0 (High Performance STREET)

IMO the OEM PP pads excel at moderate and elevated MPH stopping.
Low speed around town stopping they’re much to aggressive.
Again this is my take on the OEM setup. I found a perfect balance with HAWK HPS (High Performance Street) 5.0’s.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Question: Are the PP1 pads a good compromise for street and track use?
Yes.

Those hawk pads will not work on track. They'll overheat very quickly.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Because they grip harder (like a track pad) than the pads with the non-PP 4-piston brakes, because they make more dust (like a track pad), and they handle more heat (like a track pad).
That might be enough to move them from 'street' up to 'street performance', which would include autocross. But not enough to move them up to full track capability, for the same reason that there is more than just one "level" of track pad - it's not a case of one or the other here.

Surely there are even grippier, higher temp pads than the Ford PP1's. But what I want to do is put the PP1 pads on the shelf on day 1, put on street pads for DD, and then switch out pads for track day. Car will still stop good, and I don't have to deal with the dust.
If you put your PP1 pads on the shelf to let some other pad do the street duty, that's where they'll need to stay.

Norm

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I just switched from stock 4 piston brakes and pads to stock Performance Pack brakes and pads. I really don't feel any difference on the street, they both seem to stop just as well, the 4 piston were actually really good on the street but I hear they fade badly on the track which is why I went with the Brembos. I do notice more dust, but other than that no difference in street stopping, however I'm sure it would be noticeable on the track or at higher speeds?
Sponsored