Sponsored

Does Ford Have a Mustang Surprise for the 60th Anniversary?

armytc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2008 Shelby GT500
Last fall when I was fueling my 2008 GT 500 for storage, a fellow pulled up behind me. He walked over and complemented me on my car. He identified himself as a general sales manager for a large Ford Dealer in the area. I told him I really enjoyed my Shelby but would like to have a new one. He told me that I may wait a while until Ford made another Shelby. BTW, the folks over at GT500 Forums are saying Ford will no longer do a Shelby. They will exist as cars form Shelby America, converted GT's.
He also told me that he has been hearing rumors of a new Ford Mustang "COBRA" coming.
I read today that FORD has a surprise for the New York auto show. Could it be a new version of the Mustang for the 60th?
Or will it be a Maverick with 20 inch tires>
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Makes sense. They’re going more towards the 80s/90s throwbacks instead of the 60s with some of the elements of the S650

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Using the Cobra nameplate has been the rumor as of late. There was a discussion in the Shelby part of this forum and there seems to be a consensus there that we’ve seen the last Shelby model from FP (meaning, no more GT350 or GT500). It makes some sense, the generation Ford is now targeting has no ties to some of these iconic nameplates. There are still plenty of us in our 40’s, 50’s and 60’s that will potentially be Mustang buyers for quite a while yet (and most of us probably have more purchasing power than the 20 and 30 something’s, no offense to those in those age groups that can and do own these cars) so hopefully they don’t leave us out to dry.

Sponsored

Bullittproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium Fastback - Race Red !
Using the Cobra nameplate has been the rumor as of late. There was a discussion in the Shelby part of this forum and there seems to be a consensus there that we’ve seen the last Shelby model from FP (meaning, no more GT350 or GT500). It makes some sense, the generation Ford is now targeting has no ties to some of these iconic nameplates. There are still plenty of us in our 40’s, 50’s and 60’s that will potentially be Mustang buyers for quite a while yet (and most of us probably have more purchasing power than the 20 and 30 something’s, no offense to those in those age groups that can and do own these cars) so hopefully they don’t leave us out to dry.
I am guessing BOSS302 doesn’t have much chance of being revived…

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I am guessing BOSS302 doesn’t have much chance of being revived…
I’d like to see it come back one more time but the way things are trending, it’s not likely

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Well unless they fix the looks of the S650 why bother putting a Shelby or any plate on it. Fix the car looks first.

Sponsored
OP
OP
armytc

armytc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2008 Shelby GT500
I agree with Demon. Most gearheads I talk to just don't care for the new sharp edge look. The dash is a joke to most people. I keep wanting to consider an S650 but the more I look, the less I like them. They look like a taxicab with KIA tail lights. I really like Mustangs, have had a bunch of them but this new model really disappoints me.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well unless they fix the looks of the S650 why bother putting a Shelby or any plate on it. Fix the car looks first.
There’s a decent amount on the road around here now. Other than the headlights, I like the looks. I think S550 looks better but I’d have no problem owning an S650

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I agree with Demon. Most gearheads I talk to just don't care for the new sharp edge look. The dash is a joke to most people. I keep wanting to consider an S650 but the more I look, the less I like them. They look like a taxicab with KIA tail lights. I really like Mustangs, have had a bunch of them but this new model really disappoints me.
Overall the interior of S650 is a little nicer than S550 IMO. But the screens need some work, I agree with you there. A few physical buttons and better integration. Size of the screens don’t really bother me

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a decent amount on the road around here now. Other than the headlights, I like the looks. I think S550 looks better but I’d have no problem owning an S650
Being in California you would think that I would see a lot of them. I’ve only seen about three and two of them were ecoboost. I had one 5.0 that I could hear because I had the windows down and he refused to pull up next to me for some reason. It was really crazy. He just stayed back until I just took off. Seen a lot on lots but haven’t driven one yet. I think when the weather gets nicer I’ll go in for a test drive just to see how they react when I pull in with the M1.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Being in California you would think that I would see a lot of them. I’ve only seen about three and two of them were ecoboost. I had one 5.0 that I could hear because I had the windows down and he refused to pull up next to me for some reason. It was really crazy. He just stayed back until I just took off. Seen a lot on lots but haven’t driven one yet. I think when the weather gets nicer I’ll go in for a test drive just to see how they react when I pull in with the M1.
I’ve driven a few now, just for shits and grins. They’re quite nice and the premium screen isn’t terrible when driving. It doesn’t feel a whole lot different than my S550 though, so I don’t think there’s a lot of S550 owners trading into them. Probably more of the early S197 (and maybe even the coyote S197) folks that want a brand new Mustang. And the newer generation of Mustang folks too. If you get a chance to drive one, I think it’s worth it. I did put the gauges in Foxbody mode, that was kinda cool (and a little corny too).

It’s kinda funny, the dealer that is 5 minutes from my house is selling quite a few of them. The dealer I ordered my GT from, about 15 minutes from me, has a ton of them and can’t seem to move them. It’s really odd
Sponsored