Sponsored

Does accepting a Cash & Keep diminish the car value?

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
99% of people won't care. And your resale value won't be hurt in the least bit.

Just relax. Dial back your emotions a bit.
LOL, you might not be able to tell through the internet but I am just having discussion. Not much emotion is involved.
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
LOL, you might not be able to tell through the internet but I am just having discussion. Not much emotion is involved.
Oh, yes there is. You're imagining all sorts of negative things concerning your car that are only in your imagination.

That's from emotions.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Oh, yes there is. You're imagining all sorts of negative things concerning your car that are only in your imagination.

That's from emotions.
Nope, it's mostly just a financial decision. I am just trying to find out what all is involved with Option A vs B because I have never been in, or personally known anyone in this situation before.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If it was a simple motor swap and no issues since it would be one thing. but you've had it back to the shop a couple times with non-trivial niggles since, if I'm skimming your post history correctly.

I'd toss the car simply because the future is too much of a wildcard. You'd like to think you could live long and prosper, but it's Ford we're talking about and if it goes askew 2 years from now, what will be the bargaining position? Of course your next 'new' one could be just a problematic but at least you won't be fighting the "is the problem new, or a holdover from the earlier exercise" battle.

Frankly I'd press Ford to give you the previous 'coupon' equivalent on a new vehicle of your choice and subtract out any model-year price hikes while they were at it. "Private Offer" on steroids if you will.

Sponsored

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
If it was a simple motor swap and no issues since it would be one thing. but you've had it back to the shop a couple times with non-trivial niggles since, if I'm skimming your post history correctly.

I'd toss the car simply because the future is too much of a wildcard. You'd like to think you could live long and prosper, but it's Ford we're talking about and if it goes askew 2 years from now, what will be the bargaining position? Of course your next 'new' one could be just a problematic but at least you won't be fighting the "is the problem new, or a holdover from the earlier exercise" battle.

Frankly I'd press Ford to give you the previous 'coupon' equivalent on a new vehicle of your choice and subtract out any model-year price hikes while they were at it. "Private Offer" on steroids if you will.
Yeah, I didn't get too much into the details of it all but the trans had always been harsh shifting in all but normal mode....until they discovered in November that the fluid was about 2 quarts low. I got to enjoy a normal operating trans after that for a whole week before the engine issues started.

Twice after taking it in for the engine issues, they called me to tell me it was "fixed" and to pick it up. Shortly after picking it up both times, it had to go back for related engine issues.

So, how much of the aggravation was sheer incompetence by the shop, vs the car being an actual "lemon"? Who knows? It could be fine for years to come....or not.

That is where I am at.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
I would take the 5k and keep the car. All ford had to do was replace your engine, which they did. They didn’t have to offer you anything. If you’ve had many other problems and wanted to pursue the buy back process ford should give you what you paid and everybody moves on. Now you’re stuck trying to find another car with a much higher interest rate. If this is a financialy driven decision, the best move is keep the car and take the cash.

tomburke1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Just depends if it shows anything on the carfax that would deter dealers or potential buyers. When I attempted to sell my 16 Ecoboost back in the day dealers would lowball me more than normal because they thought it was in an accident, and had no context of what the damage was. (which was hail damage)
Does the new engine have the balance of the warranty? Some replacement parts do not.

tomburke1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Yeah, I didn't get too much into the details of it all but the trans had always been harsh shifting in all but normal mode....until they discovered in November that the fluid was about 2 quarts low. I got to enjoy a normal operating trans after that for a whole week before the engine issues started.

Twice after taking it in for the engine issues, they called me to tell me it was "fixed" and to pick it up. Shortly after picking it up both times, it had to go back for related engine issues.

So, how much of the aggravation was sheer incompetence by the shop, vs the car being an actual "lemon"? Who knows? It could be fine for years to come....or not.

That is where I am at.
The incompetence of the average dealer mechanics is amazing! Tyhey are nothing but parts changers.

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Does the new engine have the balance of the warranty? Some replacement parts do not.
Yes, supposedly.

I decided to just accept the buyout (and what ended up being about $5,000 & a $1500 certificate towards a new car).

Looking at a couple of trade-in values that I received BEFORE the engine trouble/Lemon Buy Back is showing against the car, the offers were about $38,000 and I owe about $50,000 on it so it just didn't make financial sense to keep it knowing that it will be even harder to sell in the future.

Like I have mentioned in other threads, the trans was running rough in all but normal mode until they discovered after about 8,000 miles that the fluid was 2 quarts low. Who knows if that could cause any issues down the line but at this point, I am just cutting my losses.

I do intend on getting into another Mustang, maybe a Mach 1.

Sponsored

tomburke1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Yes, supposedly.

I decided to just accept the buyout (and what ended up being about $5,000 & a $1500 certificate towards a new car).

Looking at a couple of trade-in values that I received BEFORE the engine trouble/Lemon Buy Back is showing against the car, the offers were about $38,000 and I owe about $50,000 on it so it just didn't make financial sense to keep it knowing that it will be even harder to sell in the future.

Like I have mentioned in other threads, the trans was running rough in all but normal mode until they discovered after about 8,000 miles that the fluid was 2 quarts low. Who knows if that could cause any issues down the line but at this point, I am just cutting my losses.

I do intend on getting into another Mustang, maybe a Mach 1.
Check the oil cooler lines for a leak. At 5 years and 13 days, at 30430 my transmission ended up destroyed because the oil had been leaking from the return line from the cooler and it left no signs of leakage because it landed on the exhaust.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Take the 4000 cash, and enjoy the car, put the 4000 towards your auto loan, so now you owe 4 grand less. You are going to lose more from buying while the balloon was full of hot air, than carfax showing ford installed an all new engine.
This isn't a 40 y/o car that a matching numbers block is going to matter, it is a run of the mill Mustang gt. What will matter is service records and shape it is in when and IF you sell it. No one is going to care that the engine in the car has 13 thousand miles less than the rest of it. Now if John Q public garage installed said engine, then you have a worry.
Take the cash, pay down the loan with it, and enjoy the car. As long as Ford is standing by the work. just drive it.