Dodge is killing it for 2021 Redeye vs GT500

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
It's just a really old and tired platform desperately in need of a true refresh from the ground up.
Maybe so but they’re still faster than anything else you can buy in American.

Durango hellcat, America’s fastest suv.

Charger hellcat redeye, America’s fastest sedan.

Challenger super stock, America’s fastest car.

Dodge calls itself America’s performance brand. In 2021 every model they make can be optioned to over 700 hp.

They may not be the best handling cars but they are the most powerful and the fastest on a drag strip.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I'm not sure, I'd wager it's 760 because of the ZR1 being 755...
That somewhat to, however the GT500 was originally going to be around 720hp
Then the Redeye and ZR1 came out.
The 760hp was to ( best ) the ZR1 hp but the main reason the GT500 got more hp was to compete with the Redeye.
Also the GT500 was a year late in coming out.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
That somewhat to, however the GT500 was originally going to be around 720hp
Then the Redeye and ZR1 came out.
The 760hp was to ( best ) the ZR1 hp but the main reason the GT500 got more hp was to compete with the Redeye.
Also the GT500 was a year late in coming out.
Makes sense, I can definitely see that. I guess the whole point of this thread is competition between brands is what results in these awesome cars for us to choose and enjoy.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Makes sense, I can definitely see that. I guess the whole point of this thread is competition between brands is what results in these awesome cars for us to choose and enjoy.
Definitely!

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
I think it awesome we are going back and forth or tit for tat on the Major Brands making the most powerful cars ever in the ICE AGE:sunglasses:. I mean damn I grew up in the era of the 100 hp car and wow it has 150hp man thats uhm pretty lame...oh we are so spoiled in todays world to say the least.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
And at the end of the day, they’re still Chrysler turds. Go buy one, I’m sure they have a forum out there somewhere.
Looks like they've done a lot better recently, regarding build quality:
https://www.cars.com/articles/dodge...in-first-90-days-while-tesla-perturbs-423266/

My very naive guess is that the longer you go with a platform without major changes, allows you to dial in the quality in the manufacturing process as well as fix the early design flaws.

I love seeing the American brands achieve the quality/reliability levels of the German and Japanese cars. Way to go Murica.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it awesome we are going back and forth or tit for tat on the Major Brands making the most powerful cars ever in the ICE AGE:sunglasses:. I mean damn I grew up in the era of the 100 hp car and wow it has 150hp man thats uhm pretty lame...oh we are so spoiled in todays world to say the least.
This is 100% the point. It's amazing that we have these cars and lets enjoy them while they are here. They won't be for that many more years.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
This is 100% the point. It's amazing that we have these cars and lets enjoy them while they are here. They won't be for that many more years.
People always talk about EVs and emissions and say that NA engines are dying out (which they are) and that its getting harder to make powerful engines and yet we have cars that push 700+hp.

Are we currently in a time like the late 60s and '70 where these engines reached their peak and will succumb to the EPA and get downsized into hybrid cars with small engines similar to what happened back them? How long can Dodge keep having cars that put out insane power?

I really dont understand why everyone says EVs are the future and talk about emissions yet we have new cars that get better HP numbers every year.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Unfortunately, the previous administrations EPA changes will force power reduction to meet emission standards and I don't see that changing.

I believe that this will usher in the EV's when the power vs engine gives the EV's the nod.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
To me this is just lazy. Put the Hellcat engine in something else call it a revelation. Then say the same engine in every model is a good thing Steal more parts from the Demon and call it something new. Slap the Hellcat engine in a Durango WOW. How short peoples memory is regarding the track-hawk! Top it off in saying that it's long in the tooth so it more reliable so it's a selling feature. It's a car not a VCR. I'll take a new design over old anyway of the week.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me this is just lazy. Put the Hellcat engine in something else call it a revelation. Then say the same engine in every model is a good thing Steal more parts from the Demon and call it something new. Slap the Hellcat engine in a Durango WOW. How short peoples memory is regarding the track-hawk! Top it off in saying that it's long in the tooth so it more reliable so it's a selling feature. It's a car not a VCR. I'll take a new design over old anyway of the week.
It takes guts. When do you think Ford will put the gt500 engine in an Explorer? How about in the Fusion? When do you think they will make a car that can pull wheelies? How about with a drag tire from the factory? Dodge isn't lazy they only get so much money and they use it to ramp up HP as much as they can for as long as they can. It takes around 1 billion dollars to design and build a new car on an existing platform, around 6 billion to build a brand new car on a new platform. Dodge is a small brand only 3 cars in 2021. I'd say they do an amazing job for what they have.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Unfortunately, the previous administrations EPA changes will force power reduction to meet emission standards and I don't see that changing.

I believe that this will usher in the EV's when the power vs engine gives the EV's the nod.
Any idea when that will happen?

I am a college student and currently in a research lab that is involved with studying the effects of climate change (not trying to bring politics into this), we mainly look at the effects on marine life as we are a marine bio lab, but there are times where we get into environmental science and public policy. There are alot of issues with EVs, one being that our current infrastructure cannot support EVs. The grid is already strained, there has been bad wild fires in California a few years ago from the strain. The current grid doesn't produce enough power to allow everyone to charge their cars. Germany plans to ban the combustion engines in 2030. That is in 10 years. Its a pretty drastic change and I honestly don't see that happening. I guess I could talk to the people in my lab about this but I feel like the switch won't happen anytime soon, not to mention that 'good' EVs are still unobtainable and are usually top end luxury cars. There are alot of other major things that need to happen before the 'switch' and we are far behind the ball. Im not an expert though so I could be wrong. I really haven't dug too much into the future EPA emission polices, but I know for sure that they didn't outline to phase out combustion engines by 2030 lol.

I just find it hard to believe that it will happen any time soon and we are still getting more powerful cars though they are mostly forced induction. Everyone keeps saying it but from what I can see we still have a long time before it happens.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
It takes guts. When do you think Ford will put the gt500 engine in an Explorer? How about in the Fusion? When do you think they will make a car that can pull wheelies? How about with a drag tire from the factory? Dodge isn't lazy they only get so much money and they use it to ramp up HP as much as they can for as long as they can. It takes around 1 billion dollars to design and build a new car on an existing platform, around 6 billion to build a brand new car on a new platform. Dodge is a small brand only 3 cars in 2021. I'd say they do an amazing job for what they have.
I'll take a raptor with a predator please.