Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby?

Do you consider the GT350 a Shelby

• Total voters

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I would have preferred the car had been called something else. Mustang GT-R, Mustang RS, Boss 315, Mach 1-R etc. Using the Shelby name has never sat well since they started to use it again from '07 on.
Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
This from my window sticker. The car is what Ford says it is, a "Shelby GT350." So, yes, I consider it a Shelby.
Well I guess that sums it up. FWIW I don't call mine a Shelby either. I did a couple of times but now I just say GT350. I did try saying Mustang once and I swear a midget jumped out of no where and punched me square in the sack. :lol:

rfrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 White/Blue Track Pack
My car is a GT350 in the true sense of a 50 year anniversary model. Those that weren't around (when the Cobra & GT350 cars were in dealerships and all over the car guy world) can't possibly understand what that means.

Shelby motivated the creation and development of those amazing machines. A racer who modified production machines into formidable street/track machines.

My first new car was a '66 Mustang, 200CI 6 with 3 speed stick on the floor and bucket seats. Amazing budget priced machine designed by Ford from a Falcon econo box. Ford contracted with Shelby to build a track car from this Secretary's budget sporty box. Everyone knows the sales success of all this.even if you weren't there.

Shelby smoozed and conned people until it happened. He brought some of the sharpest racing and engineering people together as this evolved and built a dynasty that is still operating after his death. We don't know how long this will continue in the evolution of the automotive (transportation) world. The internal combustion engine is being left in the dust by simple electric motor machines.

So from this perspective, my '16 Track Pack in traditional US Auto Racing colors (White/Blue), like all the first year cars, is a perfect modern rendition of an original GT350. We must give Shelby credit for the creation of the Cobra and GT350. We didn't call them Shelbys back then, and I still call my amazing modern car a true 'GT350'. Enjoy this amazing era of performance machines while we can with the fantastic sound of these unbelievable engines. They are being beaten at the race tracks of the world by the hum of simple electric motor machines. Love my car enough to blow my retirement budget to buy one new and don't regret it for a moment.

And the original GT 350 got the name because it was 350 steps from the Shelby office to the shop. What is in a name, it can be distorted by lack of knowledge of the real story.

Sorry to be so long winded, but there is a lot more to the story, it makes great reading for an interested motorhead.

Thank you Ford and Shelby for the creation of this story and these machines! This GT350 is definitely a credit to the collaboration between Shelby and Ford.

--Ralph

wltrmtty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I recently asked this question of someone at Shelby American. His response was, "It's as much of a Shelby as the GT500."

Carroll Shelby was aware of the S550 GT350, he liked what he heard, but wasn't involved in design or manufacture. That said, the GT350 hasn't been manufactured by Shelby America(n) since 1967. Ford took over design and purchasing in October 1966. In May, 1967, Ford terminated the Shelby California manufacturing operation. So, park a 2016 or 2017 GT350 next to a 1968 GT350 and they are both just as much of a Shelby GT350. (Personally, I think the S550 Ford Shelby GT350 is the greatest GT350 ever made. I wouldn't trade mine for any year.)

Most importantly, he told me Carroll Shelby specifically wanted His name on the Ford Mustang GT350. Carroll loved the Shelby GT350 and its heritage as much as we do - certainly more so.

So, yeah, it's a Shelby Mustang and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Apologies if this comes across as "troll-like," but what does "is it a Shelby" really mean?

After all, the Cobras were built by AC Cars, Ltd. in Thames Ditton (England) and modified / completed by Shelby American.
The original GT350 ('65/'66) were built by Ford at the San Jose plant and shipped to Shelby American to be modified / completed.
The later GT350s and GT500s were built by Ford at the Dearborn (River Rouge) plant and shipped to A.O. Smith to be modified / completed.
Chrysler Corp. built Omnis and Dakota pickups under the Shelby moniker.
Carroll Shelby supposedly had a hand in the development of the original Viper, but it never wore the Shelby name.
Shelby American in its current iteration modifies Ford Mustangs post-title and has been doing that for years.
Ford built thousands of GT500s in recent years under the Shelby name.
The Shelby American Automobile Club includes Kirkham and Superformance Cobra replicas in their Registry.

I'm sure there's more that I'm missing - perhaps someone with better recollection of Shelby history can fill in the blanks.

My point is not to be a troll, but if Ford has the authority to use the Shelby name on the current GT350, then that's enough in my book to consider it a real Shelby.
Great post. I have to add my high school "dream car"--the Dodge Daytona Shelby Z:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL5yU5abe9NA2G04ZAAF5mQIKNp0hPKxbBnuFwpDhzywd_OvGb.jpg

(Performance in 1987 wasn't quite what it is today! ;) )

...also the Shelby CSX (Shadow)...

shelby-csx.jpg

...and the Lancer Shelby...

FL15_r0190_01-700x368.jpg

Good times, good times... :D

Sponsored

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
As a young person, Shelby doesn't have the same meaning to me as it might to someone who was a kid (or adult for that matter) during the GT40, GT350, GT500 days. However, I really like that this car has fairly minimal badges/branding around it. I also very much prefer the Cobra snake over the Mustang horse ... it's a personal preference, but I find the horse a bit gaudy to my tastes.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Yes. I call it a Shelby as much as I call it a GT350. When I talk about the car, I call it "The 350, or the Mustang, or the Shelby". But I'm proud of the Shelby name and Cobra logo that goes a long with it.

It doesn't have to be directly built by the man or the original machine in order to pay homage to him or it, especially when it's backed up with performance aspects to match.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Would be interesting to put this poll on top of the what's your age poll ;)

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What is a "real shelby"?

The 60s that ford had him produce or the 2010s that he tuned?

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Truth be told, I'm a bit sour on the Shelby name. Many years ago, Car & Driver did an expose on Shelby's children's charitable organization. The organization that Shelby himself would get up to the podium at Barrett Jackson and auction off cars with the proceeds going to that charity. C&D found that, though the charity received millions in donations, hardly anything was paid out. That left a bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully, that organization has straightened out - maybe, I'll have to look into it some.

Last edited:

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I voted no opinion because there is no simple answer to this question. This car was not manufactured by Shelby American so in that regard it is not a Shelby. Shelby American as it exists now is nothing like it was when the original GT350's were built so in that respect new Shelby's aren't really Shelby's either. If one looks at the 1967 through 1970 Shelby's, they were produced by Ford as Shelby had moved on to other things. If one looks at the original GT350 and how it compared to a standard Mustang then this new Shelby GT350 is definitely a Shelby.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
To many idiot GM and Dodge guys think the gt350 is sent to Shelby America by ford and that SA is doing the upfitting and tunig. I just seen on FB that many think this and thought how great the zl1 was coming from GMs plant and beating a specially modified car by SA.
Ignorant dumbasses.
They still keep talking about how MT picked the zl1 over the gt350r. I guess they don't read or watch the video.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I like that Ford put a special name on this car, because I think the car is special enough to deserve it.
The owners of these felt the same way.

177513_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Problem for Ford was that Mr Shelby didn't agree.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The owners of these felt the same way.

Problem for Ford was that Mr Shelby didn't agree.
Point being? Are you equating the current GT350 to that car? I would assume not, but either way I'm interested to read your thoughts.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Equating? Good Lord, no.

Point being, all the back and forth is a bit silly. All I've ever wanted was a powerful engine in a Mustang that handles and brakes extremely well. The tacked on stickers, stripes, and badges don't contribute to any of that.
Sponsored