Sponsored

Do OEM brake pads have squealer bars?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
The shop I take my car to has told me to get new brakes. $550 for front pads and rotors. He said I have 2mm left. 6 months later he said I was at 2mm. Another 6 months (today) I'm at 2mm. These are some magical brake pads.

He's probably trying to upsale me. I may inspect the pads myself tomorrow during the oil change. But my question is if the original pads that come with the sale of the car have a squeler bar? That way I know when the pads must be changed immediately.

Can't help but feel that all OEM pads must have one...?
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
The shop I take my car to has told me to get new brakes. $550 for front pads and rotors. He said I have 2mm left. 6 months later he said I was at 2mm. Another 6 months (today) I'm at 2mm. These are some magical brake pads.

He's probably trying to upsale me. I may inspect the pads myself tomorrow during the oil change. But my question is if the original pads that come with the sale of the car have a squeler bar? That way I know when the pads must be changed immediately.

Can't help but feel that all OEM pads must have one...?
Yes the oem brake pads will have the metal indicator. Visually it's pretty easy to tell if the pads are close to the bar or not. Does sound like it's the classic upsale unfortunately.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
My 2017 OEM pads do not have a wear indicator. None of my Fords do.

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
If you have the performance package with the brembo brakes in the front, I know the front brakes do not...
I'm standing in front of my car now looking at the rear brakes and I don't see one there either.

Might be on the regular front brakes.

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
My 2019 PP1 has squealer tabs front and rear, both OE and on the Powerstop pads I swapped in. At 2mm thickness, they only barely made noise.

If you're worried, get a second opinion. You can also pull a wheel off and take a look at the pads through the caliper. Most auto parts store sell a cheap set of gauges to help measure pad thickness.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the oem brake pads will have the metal indicator. Visually it's pretty easy to tell if the pads are close to the bar or not. Does sound like it's the classic upsale unfortunately.
My thoughts exactly. I will inspect them. Thank you sir.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have the performance package with the brembo brakes in the front, I know the front brakes do not...
I'm standing in front of my car now looking at the rear brakes and I don't see one there either.

Might be on the regular front brakes.
Mine is the base model.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure about that …

1699047699544.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well now I'm wondering what the hell pads are in my car.
I'm assuming those are the OEM pads? I don't have that squealer.
Yeah, I bought the car new and the pads are OEM.

I’ve just checked and both my outer pads have a squealer - left side at the top of the pad, right side at the bottom.

Hope that helps ? :like:

WD :like:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Yea the squealer is on 4 of 8 of the pads. Dont trust it though, I had a pad wear out before the other pads squealer was touching. I had metal pad backing sounding terrible on my rotor. Wish all pads had squealers ..

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea the squealer is on 4 of 8 of the pads. Dont trust it though, I had a pad wear out before the other pads squealer was touching. I had metal pad backing sounding terrible on my rotor. Wish all pads had squealers ..
Good advice! I think I'll do pads and rotors. I think my pads are a bit warped as I can feel the wheel shake a bit when braking.
Sponsored