Sponsored

Do Michelin drivers have bad depth perception?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just replaced my worn out Perellis with Pilot 4Ss and the curb guards on the Michelins are massive. They stick out so far, they almost obscure the view of the wheels from some angles. LoL

Is this because Michelin owners curb their cars more than Perelli owners?

Michelin:

Michelin curb protection.jpg

Perelli:

Perelli curb protection.jpg
Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
It is a “premium” element for a tire. Adds a bit more otherwise unecessary material, but is something nice in consideration for customers.

Labels... “Michelin owners”... come on. You’re a “Michelin owner” now. Did you buy those tires because your parking ability has worsened? lol

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's known as a rim protector feature.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Given how much better the MIchelins perform it would seem the "unnecessary" material isn't hurting and may contribute to the tire's performance. If not consider it to be a "feature" to protect the expensive wheels typically used on cars which use these tires.

Ever seen a cantilever slick on the rear of a Formula Ford race car? Very wide tire on a 5 1/2" wheel.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I like when tires have that little bit of protection. It's not much, but could help a very light touch. I also happen to like the beefy look.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
To me, that is the best part of the 18+ refresh. Not that the Pirellis are bad, but the Michelins are an improvement on both levels.
The kinda of bizarre thing is that the tire actually costs as much or more than the wheel that the sidewall is designed to protect.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Could have just bought some Indy 500's for the same performance, saved more money, and not label yourself as a "Michelin driver" like it's a bad thing.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
^^^you would save yourself some money but I dont know if you'd be getting a similar performance tire. There not even in the same category. One is an ultra high performance tire and the other is a max performance summer tire. The difference is not massive, but there is a difference.

As far as the curb protectors go, it is a nice feature. I've never needed them but I do like the fact that there is some extra material in the event of the horrible happening.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You'll only think they're silly until they save your rims ass one day. I've NEVER sideswiped a curb in all my years of driving until last week when I was pulling out of a crowded, one way parking lot that you often see at Walmart and such. Some old lady comes flying into the one way, going the wrong way, right as I was about to exit. We would've hit if I didn't swerve to the right as quickly as possible. My back passenger side wheel hit the curb. I was super depressed for the 10 minute drive home because I was certain my rim took the hit. Come to find out not a single little scratch. Thank you, you fat Michelin tires you.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Im glad to have the extra protection. Aftermarket wheels offen have more material there on the lip or face so they dont look so mismatched on all wheel designs.

Somebody posted a while back with an even more extreme version of your complaint. They had an aftermarket wheel with very minimal wheel lip and it looked pretty silly with the MP4S

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang_GT4-4-1.jpg
GT4's are the same. Plenty of sidewall bulge.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
^^^you would save yourself some money but I dont know if you'd be getting a similar performance tire. There not even in the same category. One is an ultra high performance tire and the other is a max performance summer tire. The difference is not massive, but there is a difference.

As far as the curb protectors go, it is a nice feature. I've never needed them but I do like the fact that there is some extra material in the event of the horrible happening.
Well I've had both tires now, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (305/30/20) and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (295/30/20)... and honestly the firehawks are more impressive. I still remember how the PS4S felt when they were brand new, and they were exceptional. The grip was fantastic. My issue was price. It was a splurge at $480 a tire.

The firehawks are every bit as good as the PS4S for about half the price. The price to performance ratio is absurd on these tires.

I can't quantify how good the Firehawks are, but barring any issues caused by wear, I'll likely be buying the Firehawk indy 500s from here on out.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
You'll only think they're silly until they save your rims ass one day. I've NEVER sideswiped a curb in all my years of driving until last week when I was pulling out of a crowded, one way parking lot that you often see at Walmart and such. Some old lady comes flying into the one way, going the wrong way, right as I was about to exit. We would've hit if I didn't swerve to the right as quickly as possible. My back passenger side wheel hit the curb. I was super depressed for the 10 minute drive home because I was certain my rim took the hit. Come to find out not a single little scratch. Thank you, you fat Michelin tires you.
^ This 100%

I love my Pilot Sport 4S tires (285/35/R19 and 325/30/R19). So far they've saved my rims twice.

Stupid parking garages with tight curbs around the gates to get in/out... If not for these tires I would have wrecked my rims.

Another thing I love about them is how they're wearing. Perfectly even on all 4 corners. Grip is fantastic even in wet conditions. I mounted them memorial weekend last year and I can't bring myself to put the stock wheels back on for the winter. They just grip too damn good - even in wet conditions.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I don’t like the look of the rim protector feature, it serves a purpose. I plan on buying some mpss or mps4s and the rim protector is the only thing I’m not really on board with. I like to tell myself that they aren’t necessary and that I don’t plan on hopping any curbs but the reality is, as stated by @Dfeeds, shit happens and I’d much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
Sponsored