Sponsored

Do Michelin drivers have bad depth perception?

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I wish I bought my Pilot 4S a week earlier as I wouldn't have damaged my right rear wheel from hitting a curb with the PP zero's this way ;-) but yeah the curb guards are huge!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In the UK threads you see lots of comments about how many home garages there are so narrow the Mustang just barely fits thru the door. I hope they don't get wedged after installing Michelins. :wink:

Today I should get my fronts. Discount Tire had to transfer those from California, which is weird since their headquarters and a massive warehouse are just a few miles from the store.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You'll only think they're silly until they save your rims ass one day. I've NEVER sideswiped a curb in all my years of driving until last week when I was pulling out of a crowded, one way parking lot that you often see at Walmart and such. Some old lady comes flying into the one way, going the wrong way, right as I was about to exit. We would've hit if I didn't swerve to the right as quickly as possible. My back passenger side wheel hit the curb. I was super depressed for the 10 minute drive home because I was certain my rim took the hit. Come to find out not a single little scratch. Thank you, you fat Michelin tires you.
Exactly. Of course everybody on here will tell you they'll NEVER EVER hit a curb... until they finally do! A lot of cars these days have a pretty long wheelbase so it's especially easy to hit a curb in a crowded parking lot somewhere. Happens to everyone. Just happened to me last week in a similar scenario to you actually.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just replaced my worn out Perellis with Pilot 4Ss and the curb guards on the Michelins are massive. They stick out so far, they almost obscure the view of the wheels from some angles. LoL

Is this because Michelin owners curb their cars more than Perelli owners?
Nah . . . you just need wider wheels :)

Maybe your Michelins should look like this.JPG

Norm

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
you just need wider wheels :)
Who doesn't? :wink:

I wish I had found ANY wider wheels (other than some custom made) that gave me a square set up AND that I liked the look better than the factory nickel PP wheels.

I suppose I could re-purpose the HREs on my now-retired track car but inner and outer would need to be replaced as well as the center for bolt pattern. I have a feeling that replacing every part of the wheels except for some of the bolts might not be a smart use of money.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Seems OP likes to complain about a lot of non-issues.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
The advertised protector lips off Good Year F1s helped keep my previous wheels in great shape during close calls, the Michelin has what is sort of a recessed rim, but have yet to see michelin advertise rim protection for the AS 3+ which I am planning to get.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Lol it’s not just about curbs though. I dropped a wheel once on it’s face and good thing it had the extra bit of tire, thanks to that when it hit the ground the face of the rim didn’t hit the ground and get scraped. So they’re definetly nice to have for those happy little accidents.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Buddy of mine has a 335i. He just got a nice set of OEM wheels and some AS3's. He still found a way to curb rash his new rims. Total bummer.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Buddy of mine has a 335i. He just got a nice set of OEM wheels and some AS3's. He still found a way to curb rash his new rims. Total bummer.
Well I came across a 255/40/19 OEM AS 3+ tire mounted on a 19x8.5 Audi rim and it did not look like much protection left on the way it sits on the 8.5 wide Audi Rim. I guess It got to do with how the edges of the wheels are designed or angled? And sites say that 8.5 is the lowest width you should go for mounting a 255/40/19.

I am however thinking based on google examples, the PSS have more protection over the AS version. AS seems to have less on similar width rims.

peeler.jpg

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Well I came across a 255/40/19 OEM AS 3+ tire mounted on a 19x8.5 Audi rim and it did not look like much protection left on the way it sits on the 8.5 wide Audi Rim. I guess It got to do with how the edges of the wheels are designed or angled? And sites say that 8.5 is the lowest width you should go for mounting a 255/40/19.

I am however thinking based on google examples, the PSS have more protection over the AS version. AS seems to have less on similar width rims.

peeler.jpg
Yeah, seems it varies between Michelin models.
Sponsored