Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Greetings,

My head is going to explode on this topic. It is like it taste great-no - it is less filling. I have a 2022 Mustang GT Premium. It is a summer car only. I am not going to drag race the car or take it to the track. I am not going to do any engine modifications. I have read that all Mustangs newer than 2018 models do not need catch cans because the newer Mustangs have port injection, along with direct injection. If I did install one it would be the Ford Performance catch can. I do not want to jeopardize my warranty. What are other Mustang owners doing? Please advise.

Thank you in advance,
Edgemere
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have the FP catch can. Is it necessary for normal street driving? Probably not. But it does what it’s supposed to. I’d rather that oil vapor not go through my intake. If you plan on tracking the car a bit, then it’s more useful.

As far as voiding warranty, they have to prove that the catch can caused the failure. If it’s installed properly, highly unlikely it will cause any kind of failure.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Hi. A catch can is a must, IMO. On a non-tracked Mustang, only on the passenger side - because under normal conditions, the flow of air through the engine is "in" on the divers side, and "out" on the passenger side into the intake. They work - preventing a surprising amount of oil from being sucked into the intake. That can only be a good thing, regardless of arguments against them based on the type of injectors. Comments regarding voiding the warranty are simply scare tactics. You empty the can at each oil cange, or sooner. (I recommend checking at 2000 miles after installation, again at 5000 to see how much is caught, and then as often as you are comfortable with.)

Sponsored

VoR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I put one on, but I am not concerned that it will impact my warranty.
With how you plan to use your car and concern about warranty, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Your car will be fine as is, save the money.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I put one on, but I am not concerned that it will impact my warranty.
With how you plan to use your car and concern about warranty, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Your car will be fine as is, save the money.
Without question, YES.

twbthird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium PP convertible, Ruby Red
A stock street car doesn't require a catch can, but can use one. I have a JLT oil separator on the passenger side of my '17 PP GT and it pulls about 3 oz. of liquid per oil change. That's not a lot, but that's oil I would rather not have going into the induction tract of the engine.

If you have warranty concerns, it is a 5-minute job to swap the factory PCV hose back onto the engine before the car visits the dealer.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
No, you do not need one.

The big arguments are:
- valve buildup
- lower octane from oil vapor

Valve buildup doesn't matter on a PI car, and if the octane of the fuel was significantly lower due to oil vapor we would see people picking up power just from adding an OCC, which we don't.

If it makes you feel good, by all means go ahead, but you absolutely do not need one.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Im on the same boat as op. I currently don't have one but I rotate Shell V max premium gas every 1000 miles and use only detergent gas from Costco. I also make it a point to visit the redline at least once everytime I drive it. Also, I think the rev match is mostly port injected (no load) so if its a manual, you technically ‘flush’ the valves everytime you downshift. A solid no load rev prior to shut down probably helps too. A catch can is on my short list though if I ever decide to track the car.

Sponsored

rr18gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Race Red, 2018 Ecoboost Kona Blue
I have the Ford performance catch can, My car is mostly stock and I just emptied it for the first time this year and I had barely enough oil to fill the bottom of the reservoir.

So I would agree that, no you do not need one at all.

I got one when they were on sale at Summit Racing and for me it was more about my OCD than the cars need....

OP
OP
Edgemere

Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks all for your feedback My car is a manual transmission. I had a 2008 GT500 that I was pulling 800 RWHP 12 years ago, before the HP wars really started. It was a Monster! I was at the strip all summer long, for a few summers running. I went down the mod rabbit hole and had a blast doing it. But, I broke shit and my wife quit as my pit crew, so that fun eventually came to an end.

I am retired now, and I have had my fun racing. I just want a really cool Mustang for some fun on the streets and highways. I also go to 25 car shows each summer with my wife to show off our cool cars. Like minded people that love the smell of petroleum in the morning. Life is good. That's why keeping my warranty in place is important to me now at my age, and doing what makes sense for the few mods that I will consider doing.

Thanks, Edgemere

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
No, you do not need one.

The big arguments are:
- valve buildup
- lower octane from oil vapor

Valve buildup doesn't matter on a PI car, and if the octane of the fuel was significantly lower due to oil vapor we would see people picking up power just from adding an OCC, which we don't.

If it makes you feel good, by all means go ahead, but you absolutely do not need one.
Agreed. It'd be a different story without the port injection.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Greetings,

My head is going to explode on this topic. It is like it taste great-no - it is less filling. I have a 2022 Mustang GT Premium. It is a summer car only. I am not going to drag race the car or take it to the track. I am not going to do any engine modifications. I have read that all Mustangs newer than 2018 models do not need catch cans because the newer Mustangs have port injection, along with direct injection. If I did install one it would be the Ford Performance catch can. I do not want to jeopardize my warranty. What are other Mustang owners doing? Please advise.

Thank you in advance,
Edgemere
No track, no can
Sponsored