DIY trunk pull strap

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
@Scooter MGee - Could you throw an update on how yours is holding up?

I have a few questions about your setup also

1. What is the diameter of the pushpin you used?
2. When you use the pull strap - do you just pull it down and close the boot by pressing on the trunk lit or do you yank the strap so it closes and you don't have to touch the paint?

I want to make my setup so I can just yank it but I'm not sure a push in fastener will be sturdy enough for that
Sponsored

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris

2. When you use the pull strap - do you just pull it down and close the boot by pressing on the trunk lit or do you yank the strap so it closes and you don't have to touch the paint?

I want to make my setup so I can just yank it but I'm not sure a push in fastener will be sturdy enough for that
I am in the trunk at least once a week. I literally yank on the strap to close the trunk without having to touch it after. Never a peep and it feels solid.

On the size of the push pin.....I have no idea. I usually don't throw stuff like that away and I just went through all I had till I found one that was nice and tight going in the hole. I got lucky really. The trick on the push pin is to use a 2 piece style that has the pin in the middle that is pushed in and expands the body of the pin, not a christmas tree style. It needs to be very snug even before the middle pin is pushed into place and long enough to let the pin expand and properly hold in place.

7r12zFk.jpg

I will attempt to pull out the pin later today and get some measurements off of it. I don't want to compromise the pin if I have to really force it out as it is working so well.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
@Scooter MGee That is great info, Thanks a lot!

About the size - if you're able to figure it out it is fantastic but yeah if it is sitting too good then no worries! I can see in the #1 post that the hole is a bit larger than a M6 bolt so that gives me an idea of the size.
I might buy a couple of different sizes from eBay and figure out what fits the best

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
@Scooter MGee That is great info, Thanks a lot!

About the size - if you're able to figure it out it is fantastic but yeah if it is sitting too good then no worries! I can see in the #1 post that the hole is a bit larger than a M6 bolt so that gives me an idea of the size.
I might buy a couple of different sizes from eBay and figure out what fits the best

FYI, there's also kits like this with an assortment of sizes, would allow you try a few sizes, only ~$8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BMVZ8R/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_U7UfFb2HGMCSH

(There's bigger kits too for like $12 that have even more selection)

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust

i had similar concerns.. i didnt want to rip out the plastic fastener. so i went a little different route and ended up using an existing bolt. its been holding up well so far

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...50-mustang-today.11109/page-2414#post-2854557

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Is that a yankee joke, lol
It's probably more of controlled pull than a simple yank, wink, wink.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
That's an interesting solution!

Can you yank it down hard enough for the boot to close without having issues with the plastic cover from the locking mechanism falling of?
yep, been working just fine so far

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's an interesting solution! Can you yank it down hard enough for the boot to close without having issues with the plastic cover from the locking mechanism falling of?
I think that's a much better location than the others, but I also think that plastic part is pretty flimsy to resist the force needed to close the trunk for long. By the way, how do you remove it? Where are the tabs, and what kind of tabs it has? Just curious.

larf37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I just undid one of the bump stops on the deck lid and added a key lanyard in between the bump stop and the trunk.
4898DAE3-7E50-42D8-8D05-A4BC47D1C2A9.jpeg

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
How is the bump stop fixed on trunk door?
Is it possible to remove and reinstall it without damaging anything there?

larf37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
It is threaded. Screws in/out by hand.

No damage.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just close the trunk by the very edge of the black trim (below the Bullitt faux gas cap), and no smears. I won't add anything anymore. With any of those things, you still need to close the trunk from somewhere else, or you'd have to really slam it down, or get down in a weird position, for what I was seeing. Maybe I'm wrong, but since I figured out how to close it without any finger prints, I'll continue doing it that way.
Sponsored