Disturbing experience changing my oil.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
So I changed out my oil in my Silverado 1500 today and last time I changed it I switched to 0w-20 Royal Purple with a K&N oil filter (it was all they had at the time). Well before I changed the oil today I had started smelling a terrible exhaust smell that I thought was odd. During the oil change as soon as I started dumping the old oil the smell hit me, very burnt oil. I was not happy. This time I used Pennzoil Platinum with a Wix XP, drove the truck, no more smell and the engine is idling very smooth and the oil pressures seem much more stable.

Its almost as though the oil wasn't circulating in the engine, bad oil filter?

Any thoughts are appreciated or has anyone experienced this? I noticed I had full power back to the engine which I never realized I lost since the Royal Purple oil change. The truck is a 2018 with 18K miles but I drove it for 5K miles before the oil change today. WTF!
0-20 seems pretty thin for a Chevy - and even if its recommended, 0-20 is the PBR or Busch Light of motor oils.

If you have any of that used RP left, send it off for analysis. Maybe you can send the filter off?

Was there anything reading on the dip before you changed it? (i.e., was it burning oil?).

And hopefully your RP days are behind you. And why the hell do they put put that stupid dye in there that burns off anyways? I mean...WTF?

And an analysis in a lab will detect things your eyes can't.
Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
0W-20? Sounds about like 3-in-1 oil. Way too thin.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
0-20 seems pretty thin for a Chevy - and even if its recommended, 0-20 is the PBR or Busch Light of motor oils.

If you have any of that used RP left, send it off for analysis. Maybe you can send the filter off?

Was there anything reading on the dip before you changed it? (i.e., was it burning oil?).

And hopefully your RP days are behind you. And why the hell do they put put that stupid dye in there that burns off anyways? I mean...WTF?
Manufacturers spec for that model year. The other post about the additives in the oil is an interesting thought. While I was filling the truck back up my wife walked outside and asked me what the hell I was doing and what was that smell, it was that powerful no kidding. Done with Royal Purple, it looked burnt when it came out of the bottle to be honest.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

And an analysis in a lab will detect things your eyes can't.
I got just under 8 quarts out so some of it did burn off for sure. 0-20 can't be that much different than 5-20 I would think, and yes, I will never use RP again. Sticking with my go to Pennzoil as I have my first oil change coming up in the Mustang.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
0W-20? Sounds about like 3-in-1 oil. Way too thin.
Hello; Yes it does. My 2004 Silverado calls for 5w30 but allows for the use of 10w30 if the temps will be warm enough. If I were the OP I would look in the owners manual to see if another weight range of oil is allowed.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Manufacturers spec for that model year. The other post about the additives in the oil is an interesting thought. While I was filling the truck back up my wife walked outside and asked me what the hell I was doing and what was that smell, it was that powerful no kidding. Done with Royal Purple, it looked burnt when it came out of the bottle to be honest.
What motor?

our cars recommended to use 5-20, but I've used PUP 5-30 since I changed out the factory fill.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A clogged oil filter will just open its bypass section. I've heard of defective filters being stuck in bypass out of the gate, but other than not filtering it shouldn't cause problems. I think something else is going on here. RP may just smell that way after it heat cycles enough times.

OP
OP
S550_Newbie

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
What motor?

our cars recommended to use 5-20, but I've used PUP 5-30 since I changed out the factory fill.
5.3 regular gas, not flex or anything like that.

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Some ceratec will get rid of that pesky mustang tick. :thumbsup:

O wait what is this thing again..a chevy truck lol. Your situation sounds strange though. I'd check the oil again after a couple of hundred miles and hope RP oil was the issue.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nothing wrong with Royal Purple oil (I agree it does smell weird though) or using the oil weight that is recommended. I agree with others that there is a leak or a spill if you smell oil burning.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
"I switched to 0w-20 Royal Purple"

I am no expert but I can read.... see if this helps

Reference owner manual

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 8.59.19 AM.png

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Question for the OP. How did you come up with the oil spec of 0w20 for your engine?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Nothing wrong with Royal Purple oil
Tell that to my old Boss.

RP paid for a lot of industrial gear boxes when their crappy oil didn't hold up.
Sponsored