Sponsored

Differential Issue When Turning Sharp (Dangerous!!!)

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
For the record... I fully admit to driving a car that I probably shouldn't be driving at this point. Call me careless and I won't defend myself. I'm gonna take it in at the first opportunity and thanks to all for the help and advice.
Have you drained the diff fluid to look for signs of excessive wear, metal pieces in the fluid, low fluid etc?

I will say this, when I bought my 2017 GT PP1 (had the Torsen) it came with the Pirelli P Zero shitturds, and that car would step out on me in the most unexpected, inopportune times. I too thought maybe something was wrong with the differential but as it turned out, it was just those junk tires. Not saying you don't have a problem with the diff, and driving it while it is clearly misbehaving is only making things worse but for sure the Torsen doesn't like the constant slipping and uneven application of torque that those shitty tires provide. (and they HATE cold weather)

I don't want to read another post where you are describing that it did this, and that, and the other thing, but you keep driving it. Take it to a shop, have them remove the cover and inspect everything with pictures, make sure that you don't have a broken diff mount or some other suspension issue in the rear and send those Pirelli's back to Milan, with a juicy turd included. I wouldn't put Pirelli's on my lawnmower, much less a vehicle used on public streets.
Sponsored

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
FYI they make tire heaters that adjust from 100-210 degrees.

100 is the lowest setting.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
come to a stop, turn the wheels to the left, ease out then step on it and report back to us.
I didn't say there wasn't any 'jolts' and sideway motion to the chassis as the tire gripped up. But there was no banging. Both my IRS and Diff are reinforced such that Ford's criminal slop is removed. (Steeda bushing lockouts)

temp was 45F, solidly wet ground but not actively raining. I did it both going right and left. Traction control etc. ON. Pilot AS4

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
I didn't say there wasn't any 'jolts' and sideway motion to the chassis as the tire gripped up. But there was no banging. Both my IRS and Diff are reinforced such that Ford's criminal slop is removed. (Steeda bushing lockouts)

temp was 45F, solidly wet ground but not actively raining. I did it both going right and left. Traction control etc. ON. Pilot AS4
when the outside tire catches up with the inside tire there will be a jolt that can be felt. It is just how the diff works.

Sponsored

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt

Sounds like you answered your question in the second paragraph.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Someone's clunk is a others bang.

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your diff has an issue and take it in to FFord it's not you. :captain:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This whole thread....."When I push the accelerator the rear end tries to step out. And I know it's not normal because I autocross". 🤷‍♂️

It sounds like your diff is doing exactly what it is supposed to do and your tires suck.
and especially putting power to the rear while accelerating out of a turn…. I mean, anyone can do the same with their S550 regardless of the rear diff type and tire type…. You can’t expect any vehicle to “stay straight” while accelerating off a 90* turn out onto a road…while mashing the throttle.

As others have said, Summer Only tires have no grip at all when temps drop below 60*…. The colder the outside temps the less those tires will grip (if at all) on any road surface when the road surface itself is also cold…

If you take it to Service have the Tech or Service Writer go for a drive with you and do the same exact maneuvers with the car - I’d like to see his notes and what he has said to you afterward…

Last edited:

Sponsored

njlime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT/CS Vert-'18 Volvo XC60-16" MKC
I also have a 2022 GT/CS. Not sure about PP1 but I do have the Brembo brake package. I have noticed (only sometimes) that when turning sharp right from a stop (like at a corner), there is a clunk in the rear when I accelerate. Feels like the transmission or rear end can't handle the power or that one wheel wants to lock up. There is a clunk but no grinding, although I always back off the gas & try to very slowly accelerate to get rid of the issue. I only have 3500 miles in 2 years so not sure how frequently this happens but will have the dealer check when I take it in for annual service next month. It is difficult to describe so I will ask the service advisor to drive with me.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I also have a 2022 GT/CS. Not sure about PP1 but I do have the Brembo brake package. I have noticed (only sometimes) that when turning sharp right from a stop (like at a corner), there is a clunk in the rear when I accelerate. Feels like the transmission or rear end can't handle the power or that one wheel wants to lock up. There is a clunk but no grinding, although I always back off the gas & try to very slowly accelerate to get rid of the issue. I only have 3500 miles in 2 years so not sure how frequently this happens but will have the dealer check when I take it in for annual service next month. It is difficult to describe so I will ask the service advisor to drive with me.
At 3500 miles that was the symptom I had but it got progressively worse. I just turned over 15k miles and now even in a straight line under 50 if I punch it I risk getting sideways. I agree with the people that say that the OEM Pirellis are lousy but I can't imagine they're this lousy.

BTW... I've had my CS for over a year now and the problem was with me all summer but I admit it's worse now. We're going to have warmer weather here in Tallahassee FL this week and I'll give it a try again.

It's pretty hard to equate the problem with weather unless I specifically try to isolate the temperature issue but should know by the end of the week.

If' my budget would allow it I'd just buy a new set of better tires but that's a bit expensive and I'll probably keep the Pirellis until next winter since it seems like our cold weather is about gone now.
Sponsored