Sponsored

Differential Issue When Turning Sharp (Dangerous!!!)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
There is some weird shuddering going on in the differential when this is happening. Like a clutch slipping and grabbing and slipping and grabbing.... Make sense?
After reading this, are you 100% sure it’s a diff issue and not A) wheel hop or B) some other suspension or bushing (including diff bushing) issue ?

WD :like:
Sponsored

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
After reading this, are you 100% sure it’s a diff issue and not A) wheel hop or B) some other suspension or bushing (including diff bushing) issue ?

Wheel hop.... Not really.... Note that the noise and grinding is noticeable even when I drive (forward) out of my driveway and turn sharply on my road under almost no acceleration. I'd feel wheel hop at that point if it was happening because I'm not much above an idle at that point.

A couple of hundred yards up my road and I turn left onto a fairly busy State Highway and that's when the serious slippage and shuddering usually happens if I have to get my speed up very much at all. The rear end doesn't noticeably loose traction unless I have to accelerate fairly quickly.

When I had my 2020GT a year ago I could gun it out of my road onto the highway with no weird stuff happening and I never lost traction when I did this and sometimes I hit it pretty hard. Even when my 2022 GTCS was new this didn't happen.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Note that the noise and grinding is noticeable even when I drive (forward) out of my driveway and turn sharply on my road under almost no acceleration.
My low mileage 2020 trac loc made all kinds of horrible noises when it was without the friction modifier - in exactly the circumstances you are describing above.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
OK... If y'all didn't read the link regarding the 2022 GT CS then you might want to give it a look. It DOES look, if I'm reading it correctly, that it has the GT Performance Package and the checklist of stuff in the package is what my CS has.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2022-ford-mustang-gt-california-special/

So I guess that means that I do have the TORSEN® limited-slip differential. Right?

The plot thickens.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
OK... If y'all didn't read the link regarding the 2022 GT CS then you might want to give it a look. It DOES look, if I'm reading it correctly, that it has the GT Performance Package and the checklist of stuff in the package is what my CS has.

So I guess that means that I do have the TORSEN® limited-slip differential. Right?

The plot thickens.
If the wheels in your picture are your factory wheels, you have PP1.

Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650

The plot thickens.
Only the PP1 California Specials have the Torsen. I have a 22 base CS and its definitely not a Torsen. You can tell from about a mile away buy looking at the brakes. If you don't have Brembo's up front, you don't have a PP1.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Oh, and two extra gauges awkwardly placed in the center dash not angled towards the driver. PP1 cars have that in between two air vents instead of the normal 3.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Only the PP1 California Specials have the Torsen. I have a 22 base CS and its definitely not a Torsen. You can tell from about a mile away buy looking at the brakes. If you don't have Brembo's up front, you don't have a PP1.
Yep.... I have Brembo Brakes and the awkward extra gauges which I'm not a huge fan of mostly because I have less one AC vent than my 2020GT Premium had.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I didn't see anything mentioned about TC......is it on or off?? Just thinking it could do some funny stuff too is it was on??

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
TC off lights up an orange light which is very obvious. And you also get a popup window.
I'm with TLew, you probably have broken or loose parts 'around' the Diff. Torn bushing or sheered bolt or other things.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
TC off lights up an orange light which is very obvious. And you also get a popup window.
I'm with TLew, you probably have broken or loose parts 'around' the Diff. Torn bushing or sheered bolt or other things.
Yeah.... I thought so. I was going to go into town for an appointment and check it when I got in the car but I am certain there's no light or warning. I watch my instrument cluster pretty closely.

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Yeah.... I thought so. I was going to go into town for an appointment and check it when I got in the car but I am certain there's no light or warning. I watch my instrument cluster pretty closely.
On the way into town I confirmed that the TC was on. In fact I don't think I'd ever turned it off but did today just to make sure I knew how and to see if it changed anything. Nope....

OP
OP
LDHunter

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Well boys and girls... It appears that my problem has become much worse. On the way home this evening I was getting on I-10 and going up the entrance ramp when the guy ahead of me slowed down and pulled over. So I gunned it pretty hard going around him in frustration. Not full throttle but at least 3/4 throttle. The ramp was straight as an arrow with a slight up grade and I do mean slight. No rain or any other reason for what happened I could see and I use that ramp at least 5 times a week.

As he pulled over I was going about 40mph when I gunned it and sure enough the rear end started to come around me on the right. I caught it quickly before I sideswiped the guy beside me. I had a bit of an anxious moment there but quickly recovered. That's the first time this has happened to me when going in a straight line.

I'm just glad it wasn't in a crowded situation or he wasn't really close to me. Methinks my GTCS will be headed to the dealership next week some time and I'll be driving one of my pickups for awhile. <sigh>

As Roberto Duran would say.... NO MÁS NO MÁS