Sponsored

Differential and Rear Subframe Bushings, HELP NEEDED!

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Okay, so I am doing differential and rear subframe bushings because my differential bushings were extremely bad.
I went ahead and picked up the bmr bushings for both.

So far, I was able to get the rear subframe and differential out with no problem, but getting the bushings out is another story...

Made a makeshift bushing puller to get the inner metal and rubber out but I can't get the outer metal sleeve out. Also, my makeshift bushing puller broke so I am looking for a better solution.

Those of you that have done it what did you use? Is there a good bushing puller that will also get the metal sleeve out? Did you cut the metal sleeve and air hammer it?

Seen some people cut the sleeve with a sawzall and then use an air hammer. I have a small reciprocating saw but the blade was dull and it was hard to tell if I was cutting deep enough. Tried hitting it with a pry bar and hammer and got some of the sleeve to bend but it would not budge. I have also tried lighting the bushings on fire but didn't seem to do much.

My current thoughts are: I buy a better bushing puller and will at least have an okay way to get the inner rubber out, buy a sawzall that will actually cut the metal, and buy an air hammer.

Thank you for any replies!

Update:
Sawzall and air hammer method worked great. Its hard to cut the outer sleeve without cutting the subframe but I tried my best and made my cuts where the subframe has extra metal.

My recommendation for anyone else doing this:
Use some form of bushing puller to pull out the inner metal (needs a cup about 3" in diameter, I used a 3" id exhaust connector from AutoZone). I got a threaded metal rod and some washers from Ace Hardware and made my own makeshift bushing puller. This worked for the rear subframe and differential bushings.

After pulling out the inner metal, use a sawzall to cut out some rubber and then cut a slit in the outer sleeve. Then use the air hammer to hammer the sleeve out.

Note: You can probably skip the bushing puller if you poke a hole in the rubber large enough to put the sawzall blade through and then use the sawzall to cut the middle out.

To install the bushings I used 2 washers to clamp the bushings for the subframe ones, and for the differential, I was able to hammer them in. I'm going to call bmr tomorrow as the instructions don't mention what to do with the included washers.

Good luck to anyone doing this in the future. Btw you can pickup a sawzall, air hammer, blades, and a chisel bit from harbor freight for like $70, totally worth it.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
This video shows the sawzall and air hammer method

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
That's an accurate video of the process. You just need a good Sawzall and blade. I made two cuts a half inch apart and 90 percent deep. Then you just collapse that weakened channel with a narrow cold chisel or screwdriver. No need for an air chisel.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
i've done tons of bushing installs so here's what you need to do:

1. cut out the old bushing with a hole saw
2. air hammer to dig into the wall of the bushing to shove it out
3. if that's too hard sawzall the wall of the bushing (carefully so you don't get into the subframe)

do that last thing until you can hit the walls wih the air hammer/chisel to move it.

once you compromise the cylinder it'll move pretty easy.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
i've done tons of bushing installs so here's what you need to do:

1. cut out the old bushing with a hole saw
2. air hammer to dig into the wall of the bushing to shove it out
3. if that's too hard sawzall the wall of the bushing (carefully so you don't get into the subframe)

do that last thing until you can hit the walls wih the air hammer/chisel to move it.

once you compromise the cylinder it'll move pretty easy.
Great thank you!

I think I am just going to run to Harbor Freight tomorrow and grab a cheap air hammer and sawzall.

I'll post an update on how it goes

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Update:
Sawzall and air hammer method worked great. Its hard to cut the outer sleeve without cutting the subframe but I tried my best and made my cuts where the subframe has extra metal.

My recommendation for anyone else doing this:
Use some form of bushing puller to pull out the inner metal (needs a cup about 3" in diameter, I used a 3" id exhaust connector from AutoZone). I got a threaded metal rod and some washers from Ace Hardware and made my own makeshift bushing puller. This worked for the rear subframe and differential bushings.

After pulling out the inner metal, use a sawzall to cut out some rubber and then cut a slit in the outer sleeve. Then use the air hammer to hammer the sleeve out.

Note: You can probably skip the bushing puller if you poke a hole in the rubber large enough to put the sawzall blade through and then use the sawzall to cut the middle out.

To install the bushings I used 2 washers to clamp the bushings for the subframe ones, and for the differential, I was able to hammer them in. I'm going to call bmr tomorrow as the instructions don't mention what to do with the included washers.

Good luck to anyone doing this in the future. Btw you can pickup a sawzall, air hammer, blades, and a chisel bit from harbor freight for like $70, totally worth it.