Detailing & paint protection

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I got a ceramic coating so that my car becomes invincible and people, lamp posts, other cars etc. will just bounce off and not leave a mark.
Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
have been having a chat with Detail my Car and today my detailer
The problem for me was over the years at car shows I have seem cars done for around £500 and I have seem cars done by Dave (my detailer) for around £100 and there is no difference. Now I had this stuff put on the car from new
http://wolfs-chemicals.com/Nano_Paint_Sealant

So for £120 He had the car for 2 days, got rid of all the overpaint, all the swirls, and done the whole car and used special stuff on the wheels from Wolf.
Now in the past year only issues have been the dam acid rain, but it seems the only way to get rid of that if it settles is to use a mop, which is a pain in the rear.
So today had to take it to Dave and he got rid of all the spots and as he had the mop put went over my hood and back removing scratches from stones and stuff.
and resealed the paintwork,
Now I have asked DMCar if there is anything which will stop the acid rain getting into the top layer of the bodywork?
Now on my last car which was Candy Apple Red i never even noticed the dam spots, you can hide a lot on a red car. But this car everything shows up:frusty:

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've given up on my black car, had siramik done 8 months ago and my car looks like it did before I had the detail.
It shows every mark,it's impossible not to get some light scratches on it and I've been careful.I will never get a black car again lol.Yesterday I got done by a twig sticking out on a country lane, its marked the side and I've tried to hand Polish it out but it needs a professional to do it.Anyway some matt black stuff going on end of the month so that will hide some of it.

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
XPEL film, self healing!

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I've given up on my black car, had siramik done 8 months ago and my car looks like it did before I had the detail.
It shows every mark,it's impossible not to get some light scratches on it and I've been careful.I will never get a black car again lol.Yesterday I got done by a twig sticking out on a country lane, its marked the side and I've tried to hand Polish it out but it needs a professional to do it.Anyway some matt black stuff going on end of the month so that will hide some of it.
This is more or less my experience as well. I try my best when I wash it - 2BM, jet/foam wash, water filter to save drying with cloth, but you cant breath on the f'ing thing without it leaving a mark.

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
This is more or less my experience as well. I try my best when I wash it - 2BM, jet/foam wash, water filter to save drying with cloth, but you cant breath on the f'ing thing without it leaving a mark.
Yup. Pretty much why ordered a white one. I swear it gets dirty the moment a panel stops having any running water on it. It's an awesome look but too much work.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My wife's white DS3 gets washed once a month and is not looked after in the same way as my car yet when it's washed it looks like it's just come from the dealers.
I had paint correction done, swirl marks removed and treatment applied, it was away for 6 days and looked stunning. Now, it's gone past that new feeling; it gets washed every other day, because being in the country it seems to get dirty quicker.I'm not saying detail is a waste of money but in my case it wasn't what I thought it would be, and cling film going on is just something else, another cost, another thing to worry about.The problem was and is a BLACK car is a nightmare and I've learned a lesson.How much does a wrap cost lol!

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
XPEL film, self healing!
What was your cost of having it done if you don't mind? I had a quote from a local place who work on some very high end stuff (1st production P1 etc) and they wanted a silly amount of >£6k for a full PPF wrap. Just not worth it at this price of car.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
My wife's white DS3 gets washed once a month and is not looked after in the same way as my car yet when it's washed it looks like it's just come from the dealers.
I had paint correction done, swirl marks removed and treatment applied, it was away for 6 days and looked stunning. Now, it's gone past that new feeling; it gets washed every other day, because being in the country it seems to get dirty quicker.I'm not saying detail is a waste of money but in my case it wasn't what I thought it would be, and cling film going on is just something else, another cost, another thing to worry about.The problem was and is a BLACK car is a nightmare and I've learned a lesson.How much does a wrap cost lol!
Come on folks, mine is a DD out in all weathers, and when clean just stunning.
mind you even when dirty still see your face in her, Yes black is a lot worse than my old red S197, but Black looks so badass
tell you what this stuff is brilliant, think someone on here mentioned it,
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/ultimate-quik-detailer-650ml
this was my baby after using the above

Mr Wibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang GT550
Yea black is definitely the most badass colour, after washing and drying I started using blacklight from chemical guys it actually makes the paintwork pop.

I combined it with black illuminous glow wax last week and it does keep it looking clean (at least until my 200 mile drive yesturday)

Sponsored

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Used it, and others like it, Badass or not
It doesn't change the fact that if I fart near my black car a mark will show.Some applied coatings may be better than others, in my case I don't think it lasted long and my car scratches easily and the detailer wasnt cheap.2 bucket wash, snow foam, meguires gear, dodo juice stuff, grit guards and all that, I've been really carefull, yet in the sun yesterday, if you look close enough the swirl marks are there, and it needs another correction after 8 months.If your fussy don't get Black!

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
What's your washing method mate? Might be something you can tweak to help. Black is a bitch to keep clean. I had a black Megane RS and hated it.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
missus car is black and there's hardly a scratch on it 12 months after it was details.

stage are
jetwash
snow foam
jetwash
2 buckets with sheep skin mitt don't press on just rest it on let its own weight drag it around. rinse mitt after every wipe on body work.
jet wash
dry
quick detailer spray
done

there's not a scratch on her car and its her daily which for her is damn impressive if you'd seen how bad her previous one was.

if you're worried about stone chips though etc the xpel film is your best bet 6k for entire car sounds about right but you could get just the front bumper and bonnet done (2 most likely to get stone chip area's)

Goosey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Magnetic
I have found after years of messing around, doing it as a paid gig and concours etc etc that the swirls, holograms mostly come from the first time you touch a car when it's dirty (yes they can be caused at any time but in general it's early in the process). I now never hose it or jet wash it from the off. I spray on snow foam at a slightly runnier mixture than usual, let it sit and then hose it off with just the end of a hose no attachment, this lets any muck run off and not be blasted in to the paintwork. Then second snow foam denser mix, leave for another 5 mins and jet off Half speed at 45 degree angle. WHilst wet spray on something like a light mix of detailer then dry with a serious blow drier (I have that's used on pets !!) then last as final dry with detailer. When i did it seriously for others I would never do a black car in the sun, or when temp is high (I used to wait til late pm or dusk as black is a pig with water markets of any sort) ONe way around this is to have an inline water softener between your tap and then you can final rinse most time of day. Yes I am sad.....I admit it.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
I have found after years of messing around, doing it as a paid gig and concours etc etc that the swirls, holograms mostly come from the first time you touch a car when it's dirty (yes they can be caused at any time but in general it's early in the process). I now never hose it or jet wash it from the off. I spray on snow foam at a slightly runnier mixture than usual, let it sit and then hose it off with just the end of a hose no attachment, this lets any muck run off and not be blasted in to the paintwork. Then second snow foam denser mix, leave for another 5 mins and jet off Half speed at 45 degree angle. WHilst wet spray on something like a light mix of detailer then dry with a serious blow drier (I have that's used on pets !!) then last as final dry with detailer. When i did it seriously for others I would never do a black car in the sun, or when temp is high (I used to wait til late pm or dusk as black is a pig with water markets of any sort) ONe way around this is to have an inline water softener between your tap and then you can final rinse most time of day. Yes I am sad.....I admit it.
Jesus,
my detailer uses if the car has thick dirt TFR this stuff is unreal,
he blasts the car
TFR
blasts it again
special soap with built in protection
leather off

makes it look so dam easy

I did show foam but now will use TFR then
so will
blast it
TFR
2 buckets grit guards Zaino soap wash mitt
then drying towel
then the quick detailer

or for £12 run her down to Dave

I have been told swirls happen cause of the way you clean and dry the car, always wipe straight lines do not do in a circle
I am pretty useless at washing cars. so Dave being only 30mins away is a godsend :D
Sponsored