Sponsored

Paint Protection Film - The Bad and the Good!

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Thought I'd share my Paint Protection Film experience.

I collected my GT in March and promptly booked it in for paint correction and Paint Protection Film (PPF).

After a bit of research, I decided I wanted the Xpel product.
I popped onto their website to try to find a list of Xpel approved fitter, but couldn't get it to work for the U.K.

I got my paint work corrected by a bodyshop I've used for decades, but they don't apply PPF.

However, I was told to visit a place in Norwich, who did wraps and tints, they might be able to help.
So I visited a place in North Norwich and as soon as I walked in I saw a black 911 bonnet partially covered with Xpel, leaning against the wall, their advert for Xpel.
I opted for the front end package, ~ÂŁ1.5K for bonnet, wings, bumper, grille, mirrors.
When I got my car back, I wasn't impressed. There were areas of liquid gel which is used to adhere the PPF to the panel, still in a liquid state.
I mentioned this and the fitters casually told me it would dry out and disappear.
After a few weeks the areas didn't competely clear and there were small white dots on the panels where contaminents had not been removed from the panel, before applying the PPF.
I still wasn't happy, but then other none car related events, meant I moved away from Norfolk and frankly my priorities changed, significantly.

During the summer I noted some of the edges of the PPF were lifting and I realised I'd had a cowboy fit my PPF.
Disillusioned by this experience, I went through the summer, thinking I wanted to protect the paint, but was disuaded by not knowing who to trust to do the rest of the car.
Then while filling up one day I noticed a small scratch in the lacquer on a panel and I knew if I didn't address the paint protection issue, the car would get away from me and the appearance
and finish of the paint would degrade.

I hit-up the Xpel website again, perhaps the U.K. list of fitters was now working? It was!
I finally decided to book the car in with Jules Sturgess Automotive (JSA), in Cambridgeshire.
Prices seemed competetive and although JSA weren't the closest Xpel certified fitters, the JSA website convinced me enough to give them a chance.
I booked my car in with JSA, and as soon as we met and started discussing the task and my previous experience, I got the impression things were likely to go better this time, but I'd reserve my judgement until collection.
I added a few panels and needed some custom templates made for panels Xpel didn't support, in all JSA had my car for almost a week, while they applied Xpel PPF to most of my GT, from the windshield rearwards.

The result is 110% better than the first PPF I had fitted to the front end of the car.
I've inspected each panel and I can see JSA, who have attended the Xpel training courses, really take care and pay attention to detail and finish.
I'm really pleased with the end result and happy in the knowledge the paint work is now well protected.

That's my new car, PPF, experience. I'm happy with the product I chose and very pleased with the job Jules Sturgess Automotive, there in Cambridgeshire, have done on my car.
On the basis of my experience, I can now recommend JSA. Also, always chose a certified fitter for your product, hopefully you'll find a list of approved outlets and fitters, on the Product manufacturer's website.

I hope this is of some use.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Never seen the point of PPF, it’s massively expensive, it’s cheaper to just get a panel repainted if you ever got any paint damage.
I shudder to think how much you have spent on this now.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It really depends how your mind is, I've got terrible ocd and after my first mustang got stone chips all over even after only 3000 miles I wasn't going to make the same mistake with the second. I feel much better and don't worry half as much now I have full ppf on the new car.

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I've not had PPF applied to a car before.
PPF will deal with all the minor scuffs from bags, door edges, etc. Preventing the need for polishing or re-painting.
Personally, my cars seem to get a lot of stone chipping.

Previously, I always took my cars to a bodyshop I've used for decades.
They're a great crew & do great work.
Over so many years, there's been the odd hicup, but on those occassions, it's always been sorted.

In April last year, I sold my A5 convertible, in anticipation of the GT arriving (little did I know it would be another 11 months before I'd see my GT).
The A5 was purchased by a dealer.
On the day of collection, the gentleman produced an electronic paint depth measurement device.
He easily detected all the panels I had re-sprayed during the 2+ years I had the car.
The paint I had put onto the car was just to deal with light scratching, stone chips, etc.
But would that guy believe me or would he think I was trying to conceal crash damage?
Anyway, the car was sold & all was well, eventually.

Taking the car to the shop for paint is a logistical PITA. Afterwards, the lightest scratch & I'm back to square 1.

I recently had a rear door on my A4 re-sprayed. Cost me ÂŁ250.
PPF for the GT's doors wasn't too much more than that, per door.
JSA did a really good job, you have to get really close to the panel, know where to look & then you'll eventually see an edge
But to all intents & purposes, it's effectively invisible.

I'll still get paint done if I have to, but perhaps PPF might offset when that might be, if at all.

For me, the real essence of my original post was to beware of the cowboys, regardless of what it is you might have done to your car.
:like:

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
I am interested in this for my incoming Bullitt. My current car is ceramic coated and I have been very pleased with how that has held up and made washing and maintenance so much easier. However, it doesn't stop stone chips which I have picked up over the year I have had the coating on the car. So, a combo of PPF on the front bumper, bonnet and mirrors for the Bullitt seems sensible followed by ceramic coating the rest of the car. It's just the cost of it all that needs to be considered worthwhile before going that far, but given how terrible Mustang paint quality apparently is, it might be a worthwhile investment on a Bullitt.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I have 5k miles on my GT now.
The front end is free of chips & scratches.
Just a pity there's so many lift-dots and an edge lifting on the rear edge of the O/S wing.
But that's just bad fitment by the first place I went to.
But the PPF is still doing it's main job.

I didn't feel I needed the entire rear bumper done. JSA said Xpel had a "splash" template just to cover the area around the side reflector, to prevent stone chip from the rear tyres.
But when we looked at the Xpel pattern JSA thought they could do better & developed a much better template just to protect that area of the rear bumper.

Darker paint colours do look worse once there's a few chips & a bit of road rash on them. My GT is Kona blue which can show the chips quite easily.
But hopefully not now!

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Never seen the point of PPF, it’s massively expensive, it’s cheaper to just get a panel repainted if you ever got any paint damage.
I shudder to think how much you have spent on this now.
It is, but when do you make the decision to go for a respray? One big chip? 6 little ones? 2 moderate ones?

PPF will save that fannying about.

I had it on the front of mine (till I did more than chip the paintwork! :crazy:) and it had just a single 5p-piece-sized abrasion in it (paintwork unmarked underneath) after 30K miles.

Mine's OW so would only show chips that got right down to the metal but if I had any other colour it's worth protecting with PPF even more.

Mine had also been ceramic coated twice and after a proper clean looks utterly brand spanking new.

Depends on how much you value these things since ÂŁ2K on PPF and coating will buy some serious mechanical mods.

ETA: I had mine done by a company based in Manchester that came down to Reading to fit it at no extra charge. They also came back down to sort a TINY issue with some dirt on one edge and they were going to replace the whole panel. In the end I was happy for them to just cut a long thin silver from that edge. Can't fault their service. Company was called Tintex but not sure if that's what the Manchester outfit is called as they're technically seperate entities.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
If anyone is considering PPF and or ceramic coating, I cannot recommend the place I got mine done highly enough.

https://www.detailyoureyecandy.co.uk/

Speak to Elliot, well actually you most likely will, it is basically just him and his dad, and the attention to detail they have is absolutely second to none.

I thought I was anal about the smallest detail, and I had noticed plenty after picking my GT up from the dealer, but Elliot is on another level ( in the nicest possible way) and spotted things I had not.

Had a great initial chat on the phone then went over and saw some of his work he was in the middle of, and did not hesitate to agree a incredibly competitive price on mine.

Full paintwork correction and machine polishing (there was a lot he said), and under bonnet treatment, then full front end PPF, bumper, bonnet, wings, a pillars, and afterwards full Gtechniq ceramic coating over the entire car, using their special PPF ceramic on the PPF and my roof wrap I'd already had, all for ÂŁ1750 and 8 days of his tireless work.

On pick up the car was as expected, absolutely spotless, and finished to the highest possible standard.

Have had zero issues so far, and when I took it back for its post fitment three week check, he even re covered a wing he was not happy about the edge finish of for free, and gave it a full valet as well.

As I said I cannot recommend him highly enough, I guarantee no one would be dissapointed if they went to him for work.
Sponsored