Sponsored

Destroyed shifter base gasket. Now what?

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
SEE GASKET QUESTION BELOW.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ok I got it. I guess pounding on it with a ladder broke it free. Gasket is shot. Do I just reinstall since remaining gasket is on the other half and maybe do an outer seal of rtv? Or scrape everything off and apply rtv to make a new seal? Something else? This is a first for me. Thanks!

16827958398858487051293377704130.jpg

Last edited:

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
i don't think that gasket is very critical, like a valve cover gasket. I did the same think to mine when I put in a short throw handle and full tilt boogie bracket. Some of the gasket stock to the top and bottom and some just disintegrated. Just dope up the linkage with a lot of PTFE grease and put it all back together, that's what I did. No problems now for a year.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks both for your replies. Just leaving it makes me pretty nervous. Like you said, it doesn't seem like a very important gasket but if there's a cheap fix like making a new one with the link above or some ultra black maker I have on hand, it's probably best to do that, right? I guess if it truly doesn't matter then I can be ok with it though.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks both for your replies. Just leaving it makes me pretty nervous. Like you said, it doesn't seem like a very important gasket but if there's a cheap fix like making a new one with the link above or some ultra black maker I have on hand, it's probably best to do that, right? I guess if it truly doesn't matter then I can be ok with it though.
Just use some RTV it will be fine. there is no real pressure in that area just some splash.

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Just use some RTV it will be fine. there is no real pressure in that area just some splash.
I think that's what I'm going to do. Clean off the destroyed gasket, spread a thin layer of rtv and be done.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Just clean it off and run a bead of RTV. As mentioned, it is just to keep splash from seeping in.

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Ok thank you all for your help. Applied some rtv, waiting an hour then finishing up torquing down. It won't be pretty but I'm sure it'll be just fine. ;)

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thank you all for your help. Applied some rtv, waiting an hour then finishing up torquing down. It won't be pretty but I'm sure it'll be just fine. ;)
You're talking about what has squeezed out, you can just pick that off.

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yep it's looking ok. Now just dealing with the steeda shifter base bushing. What a pita to get on. Still trying.

OP
OP

dman918

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Now it's getting the rubber boot off inside the car. Not one step has gone well for me.
Sponsored