Decrease tramlining! Steeda G Brace works!

Discussion in 'Interior and Exterior Modifications' started by DrumReaper, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Caballus

Caballus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0

[MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] - Just ordered jacking rails and considering brace. However, as was noted by lemers and others, interested to know specifically how the brace mitigates tramlining, which seems to be a function of tires rather than a function of structural stiffness or steering response. Steering response is based on action by the driver. Tramlining is a result of inaction/forces reaction. Looking forward to your insights. Thanks.

2. SteedaTech

SteedaTech Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Q750
    0   0   0
    Tramlining causes, improper alignment, EPAS calibration, tires, loose suspension components, excessive chassis deflection. Hope this helps.

Steeda Tech

3. try714

try714 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Shelby gt350
    0   0   0
    Got one, it worked great on the Shelby gt350 as well. IMG_20160723_072132.jpg IMG_20160723_101008.jpg

4. SteedaTech

SteedaTech Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang Q750
    0   0   0
    Thank You! We have some new exciting products coming for the GT350 in the near future!! Stay tuned !

5. Bossing

Bossing attacks tracks

Vehicle(s):
    Just can't get enuff!
    0   0   0
    I used most of my $100 Steeda gift certificate to order one earlier today.... I won it at the Track Guys event in Sebring back in May. Woohoo! :D

6. Caballus

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    It does help, assuming I am reading your answer correctly:

Tramlining is caused BY "improper alignment, EPAS calibration, tires, loose suspension components, excessive chassis deflection."

The brace, I assume, prevents chassis deflection, which is one of the causes of tramlining.

It does not do anything for improper alignment (other than maybe help prevent it), EPAS calibration, tires, or loose components.

So, bottom line, you get a stiffer chassis, which translates in to better control. It does not, however, directly (or majorly) prevent tramlining.

Still sounds like a good product for accomplishing what it's designed for.

7. stanglife

stanglife Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    1993 Coyote Coupe
    0   0   0
    I'd be so surprised if there was that much movement remaining to be "stiffened" by the aftermarket. Also, when you can simply change tires and change tramlining characteristics 100%, it's an effect of the tires/alignment, not the chassis flexing. Going straight down the road isn't even putting the chassis under load - if there was noticeable flex going straight down the road, I can't imagine how bad it would be in a turn.

Glad you enjoy your added part but I just can't put 2 + 2 together here.

Caballus likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    DrumReaper

DrumReaper Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350R & 1971 Q-Code Mach1
    0   0   0
    Hmmm... So, I, or Steeda, has to explain something to you before you accept the fact that this part helps resolve an issue with tramlining?

Other than Stanglife, have you naysayers driven an R, yet alone a 350 with the same rubber as the R? If not, then it's hard for you to understand what we who have are up against.

More people who try the brace will most likely agree it helps with reducing tramlining... Reason why?... I think you have already seen why... It ties the subframes together and stiffens the bottom end of the car. I don't see what's so hard to believe there...

9. Caballus

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    Not hard to believe; hard for me to understand--can't speak for others.

Although it's been decades, I was a certified front end alignment mechanic, so I understand the principles, but can't get my (arguably thick) head around how the brace will prevent the tires from following irregularities in the road. When I put my summer tires (P-Zeros) on my other car, I can immediately tell the difference, as the summers tramline and the winters don't--a function of the sidewalls, etc.

From a quick google search, the best description I found was from Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

Again, I am not disputing so much as trying to understand it as a potential customer. So far, I can't reconcile, though I am still tempted to order the brace.

ITLRUN likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    DrumReaper

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I can appreciate that, but again, it's not an issue of alignment here. My R tracks straight on a good surface. Add in imperfections and the 305 PSC2s on each front search for every square inch of the imperfection.

Outside of the main frame itself, how are the two subframes, one on each side, connected without the brace?... They're not. However, the left and right are tied above by the Monte Carlo bar.

With the subframes acting independently, they have more opportunity to flex. Add on the G-brace and the two subframes now have a linear tie to each other. The added stability reduces subframe independence from side-to-side and now they can more directly communicate with each other.

Now the car is tied above and below and there is less flex, leading to less wander (tramlining). That's my theory, and it seems to agree to all other reasoning by those who have used subframe connectors on other forums.

Old Car Guy and Caballus like this.
  11. dron_jones

dron_jones Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Me crazy, and I can't help myself
    Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
    0   0   0
    I am surprised there is so much discussion over such an inexpensive part. For 80$ i will try it, if it doesn't improve tram lining at minimum it has stiffened the chassis. People here probably spend 80$ trying a "better" oil in there car just because someone posts that they always use this oil or that oil in their car and its better and there is even less qualitative or quantitative facts there.

12. OP
    OP
    DrumReaper

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I'm sure you'll see sure enough... Drive the car without the brace for a hundred miles over various roads and then add on the brace and see what you think.

Old Car Guy likes this.
  13. machsmith

machsmith Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    Got mine on order and I'll install it when its getting its shock spacers taken out upon delivery. Shouldn't take but a few minutes. I won't know what it drives like without it on!

14. OP
    OP
    DrumReaper

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Honestly, you won't appreciate what this does without having driven the car without it. You can install it easily at home in the garage.

15. machsmith

machsmith Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    No thanks, I'll take your word for it ;) I'll do it while I got it up in the air. Also, going to throw on my Bobs catch cans before I leave the parking lot.