Sponsored

Decklid panel fitment

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The decklid on my '23 M1 doesn't line up at the corners very well. I'm wondering if there is a known fix for this. There is some movement if you push in the corners with your fingers. I didn't have this issue on my 2015. Thanks!

20240510_134911.jpg
Sponsored

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
The taillights have 3 adjustment screws similar to headlight adjustment screws. You will need to remove the 4 threaded plastic net attachments, two on each side, and remove the trunk trim panel. Then loosen the taillight mounting nuts a bit. Then loosen the adjustment screws, I think they are a 4.5 mm, to move the taillights out to match the decklid.

I tried to adjust my decklid first and made things worse.
(There is a third mounting screw with an adjustment screw for each taillight against the quarter panel on each side. They should be loosened and adjusted to prevent damage to the taillight assembly.)

Don't pay attention to the dirt.

20240510_175411.jpg

20240510_175430.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The taillights have 3 adjustment screws similar to headlight adjustment screws. You will need to remove the 4 threaded plastic net attachments, two on each side, and remove the trunk trim panel. Then loosen the taillight mounting nuts a bit. Then loosen the adjustment screws, I think they are a 4.5 mm, to move the taillights out to match the decklid.

I tried to adjust my decklid first and made things worse.

Don't pay attention to the dirt.

20240510_175411.jpg

20240510_175430.jpg
Thanks! Is that the adjustment screw in the photo?

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Yes. I unscrewed the black plastic net holder. I can take a few more pictures.

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Here's a photo of one of the 4 net nuts. And one of the inner taillight mounting nuts/ adjustment screws.

20240510_180602.jpg

20240510_180702.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm confused. Where is the 3rd adjustment screw? I only see two.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The decklid on my '23 M1 doesn't line up at the corners very well. I'm wondering if there is a known fix for this. There is some movement if you push in the corners with your fingers. I didn't have this issue on my 2015. Thanks!

20240510_134911.jpg
I didn’t get you looking at the taillight fitment did I … ?

Mine are exactly the same as yours (as are my friends) :frown:

I’m subbing to this thread as I’m interested in these adjusters, I hadn’t heard of those before.

I bought these, and I was simply going to shim the lights out with them (after I’ve fitted my blank decklid) :

1715381822351-cw.jpg

WD :like:

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Is the car under warranty??

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Is the car under warranty??
Yeah, but I dont think the dealer would do anything with it, nor would I trust them to attempt to fix it. Most low level dealer mechanics are chimps with wrenches.

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
I'm confused. Where is the 3rd adjustment screw? I only see two.
The 3rd is behind the molded carpet towards the quarter panel. It might help to look for Mustang taillight replacement on YouTube.
Yeah, but I dont think the dealer would do anything with it, nor would I trust them to attempt to fix it. Most low level dealer mechanics are chimps with wrenches.
The dealership body shop told me that there was no adjustment when I took my 2015 in for the decklid to taillight alignment .
I didn’t get you looking at the taillight fitment did I … ?

Mine are exactly the same as yours (as are my friends) :frown:

I’m subbing to this thread as I’m interested in these adjusters, I hadn’t heard of those before.

I bought these, and I was simply going to shim the lights out with them (after I’ve fitted my blank decklid) :

1715381822351-cw.jpg

WD :like:
The washers aren't necessary. That's what the taillight adjustment screws are for. They work the same way as headlight adjustment screws do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The 3rd is behind the molded carpet towards the quarter panel. It might help to look for Mustang taillight replacement on YouTube.

The dealership body shop told me that there was no adjustment when I took my 2015 in for the decklid to taillight alignment .

The washers aren't necessary. That's what the taillight adjustment screws are for. They work the same way as headlight adjustment screws do.
And you're sure those screws are adjustable? I never would have guessed by looking at them. Last thing I want to do is break the tail light housing attempting to twist those screws.

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
And you're sure those screws are adjustable? I never would have guessed by looking at them. Last thing I want to do is break the tail light housing attempting to twist those screws.
I'm positive. This is how I aligned my taillights to the decklid panel. You will most likely find that these are turned all the way in. So to move the taillights out you will need to turn adjustment screws counterclockwise after you loosen the three taillight mounting nuts.

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Here's a link on replacing the taillights that should help you locate the three mounting nuts/ adjustment screws.

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
20240510_184508.jpg
I'm positive. This is how I aligned my taillights to the decklid panel. You will most likely find that these are turned all the way in. So to move the taillights out you will need to turn adjustment screws counterclockwise after you loosen the three taillight mounting nuts.
Ok I just went out and tried this. You weren't lying, they are indeed adjustable. The fitment isnt perfect, but its much, much better. Thank you so much! 🍻

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I had to bring up the stops for my trunk too. They were bottomed out from the factory and left the trunk lid sitting low and scratched up the top of the rear bumper.
Sponsored