Sponsored

December 2016 Mustang Sales

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why in the Hell, would you want the Camaro to fail? Makes zero sense.
It should be obvious to anyone. It's a lot of fun to say, "Nyah, nyah a boo boo!" to Camaro owners on the internet. Lagging Camaro sales would make that easy to do.

Another reason that might be less obvious: if you think a car is really crummy you hope that other car buyers will agree. You also want the cars you like to sell really well. These two things - if they happen together - might make it more likely that the auto manufacturers will make more of the kinds of cars you really like in the future. I actually prefer to see some Camaro sales, because I think it means lots of people want the 2 door American front engine RWD type of cars - whatever brand they might be.
Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I can't stand the Chevro...Chevr.. Can't say it. The General.

But I'm really glad there are Challengers and Camaros to keep the beloved 'Stang on it's toes. Don't wanna get sleepy!

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
I can't stand the Chevro...Chevr.. Can't say it. The General.

But I'm really glad there are Challengers and Camaros to keep the beloved 'Stang on it's toes. Don't wanna get sleepy!
I think its more like mustang brought camaro and challenger back from the dead.:ford:

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
That's OK. Look where we are now!

When I was a kid, early 90's, we all lamented that we could not have the cars that our parents had (namely, CJs, Boss Mustangs)

Good times to be into cars, yeah!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Good year for pony cars. Third place sold over 60K cars.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I loved all of these cars growing up in the 80's I dreamed of having any of the top models: Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, Pontiac GTO....When it came time to purchase a modern edition the Mustang won due to overall looks, performance, and value. The Camaro would be a great car if they would just have kept the body lines taller and not made the windshield and support facia into an army tank....The challenger is comfortable but just feels more like a straight line cruising car. And of course Pontiac is gone (RIP). I love what the narrator said in the documentary "A Faster Horse" there is this feeling among the automakers in Michigan that they truly want each other to succeed and do well. All these cars will sell because people are different and want a unique car suited to their tastes.. that is why someone will purchase a Orange Mustang or a Purple Challenger....NOT that there is anything wrong with that mind you... not my choice but I complimented a guy with the CO Mustang with an Auto Transmission just a few months back... why? because he was excited about it and I was excited for him....I also saw a Dark Blue Metallic Challenger a while back and it looked stunning... would purchase one if I had $ for 2 different muscle cars...

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I love my ecoboost muscle car. It's got a lot of muscle for only 4 cylinders.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I think its more like mustang brought camaro and challenger back from the dead.:ford:
That's exactly what happen the camaro and Challenger were dead and buried the all new 2005 retro Mustang was a huge hit so Greedy Motors and Chrysler wanted in on the action. :ford:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Well, you can't argue poor sales now. The outgoing 2015 Camaro sold nearly 7% better than its replacement and there were many holdouts in 2015 for the new car. While 7000 for December is fair, it is likely the result of heavily discounted 2016's. Cone to think of it, January through March sales had some 2015's in there as well, heavily discounted.

Unfortunately, 72,000 sales during year 1 is very alarming. Especially since MY1 is the strongest selling year AND, MY2 usually sees a 15-30% decrease in sales. I am surprised that the Mustang sold 7000 in December let alone Camaro...

The best thing a 2nd year product can hope for is to repeat its 1st year sales. With numbers so low, maybe they won't get any worse. However, if it does continue to trail off like 99% of products do in the 2nd year, it will be bad.

The Camaro sold maybe 1/2 of what they actually made and the 2016 got discounted pretty quick. Most of the overstock occurred for the 2016 models and since shift 3 has been dropped, it will help profit losses...

I just don't see any good coming out of the entire program and there is no MotorSport effort. Year 2 absolutely NEEDS to be gains month over month, GM isn't screwing around anymore.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
That's exactly what happen the camaro and Challenger were dead and buried the all new 2005 retro Mustang was a huge hit so Greedy Motors and Chrysler wanted in on the action. :ford:
Ford got them to overspend last generation while developing a product unlike anyone else. The Mustang is what a Sports Coupe should be, everything else is literally a 2 Door Sedan.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The best move would have been to continue the 5th Gen into 2016, replaced the LS3 with the LT1, revise the LS7 for a 2016 z28 and use the new engines everywhere else (ZL1/LT4). They could have EASILY produced the amount of sales needed to run another year. The 2017 would have been an anniversary model on its own, literally giving them another year to play with a new 1LE/Z/28.

I'm sure they could have remained price competitive for MY16 AND, they may have yielded just as many magazine wins too.

An all new car is already tough to do, keeping the best drivetrains for the last year would have created a buying frenzy...

...Ford got them to spend tons of money quick with no feedback on looks alone. None of the performance or sales data was available when Chevy hammered the 6th Gen out about a year early. In turn, an early release makes all other programs appear delayed. This was a multi-billion dollar mistake and Chevy can't change it for another 24 months. They cannot survive the typical downward spiral every single product goes through.

Refreshing early could really haunt the product to death. That and the MSRP are the two initial issues, looks and cost. An early refresh could make the product ride out the last cycle longer, a cycle that usually produces lower sales. This is when the product revisions come in handy. An early refresh kills the product too and devalues the old cars quickly. That said, the current numbers cannot see another losing trend like 2016.
Sponsored