Sponsored

Debating trading up to a gen 3 a10...

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
So lately I've been entertaining the idea of trading in my lightning blue 2017 gt/cs stick for a 2018+ a10. That tranny seems so slick.

My main reasons are:
Its so much quicker

Live in montreal, traffic sucks

Wife could drive stick if she had to but not with confidence, she wont even drive it to the store. We have kids so being able to drive both cars helps, but isn't exactly necessary

I still have to test drive one though. But if i love it, what do i do?

Now seems to be the time with the covid19 thing. I feel like dealerships will be pressed to make sales. Unless im crazy :)

I entertained the idea of boost with my '17 m6, slapping on a procharger/paxton and to be honest I'm sure it would be fun but you gotta pay to play. $10k plus (canadian so maybe more?) is a large investment and then things only break from there. I know I'll drive it pretty hard. Clutch, half shafts....transmission?.. I'd only consider going fbo. 600rwhp is just too much for the streets around here.

I found a certified pre owned 2019+, a10, premium, blue, 401a(dont know what that is exactly yet) with 3k on it and the price seems ok, hoping they will be pushed to make a sale.

Ultimately I know it comes down to what I want. I'm sort of seeing who else has been in the same boat and went for it and had no regrets. I will say i do love my car and I like rowing gears for what it's worth.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
So lately I've been entertaining the idea of trading in my lightning blue 2017 gt/cs stick for a 2018+ a10. That tranny seems so slick.

My main reasons are:
Its so much quicker

Wife could drive stick if she had to but not with confidence, she wont even drive it to the store. We have kids so being able to drive both cars helps, but isn't exactly necessary

Now seems to be the time with the covid19 thing. I feel like dealerships will be pressed to make sales. Unless im crazy :)

I entertained the idea of boost with my '17 m6, slapping on a procharger/paxton and to be honest I'm sure it would be fun but you gotta pay to play. $10k plus (canadian so maybe more?) is a large investment and then things only break from there. I know I'll drive it pretty hard. Clutch, half shafts....transmission?.. I'd only consider going fbo. 600rwhp is just too much for the streets around here.

I found a certified pre owned 2019+, a10, premium, blue, 401a(dont know what that is exactly yet) with 3k on it and the price seems ok, hoping they will be pushed to make a sale.

Ultimately I know it comes down to what I want. I'm sort of seeing who else has been in the same boat and went for it and had no regrets. I will say i do love my car and I like rowing gears for what it's worth.
This seems like a rhetorical thread to be honest. Sounds like you have your mind made up on an 18+ and just need a little "push." But anyways, I guarantee you will eventually miss shifting the gears and being able to decide what gear to be in. Plus, it would be a financially stupid decision to trade up, especially during a time of uncertainty. If you trade up, buy a jar of Vasoline and take it with you to the dealership. You'll need it.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have the GT with the A10 and 401A package. It's mostly luxury items: big screen, digital dash, leather, navigation, heated steering wheel, etc. But it's nice to have. I think most A10 owners do not miss shifting, as the A10 is highly configurable and allows you to do the shifting if you want to. If I get bored with it one way, I just change modes. I have a BMW with a 6 speed. I find the A10 is lots more fun. The only bad thing I can say about it is rpm matching on downshifts is really not necessary. But, I appreciate that some people prefer manual transmissions, so make sure you try the A10 in Sport+ mode at least.

I can't offer advise about trading your car in. I don't think Canada is much affected by the COVID-19, but the depreciation on Mustangs is huge regardless of when you sell.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Actually we've been on lockdown for a month. schools closed, non essential services closed, no groups of 5 people or more or you get fined. people working from home or on E.I ...etc. That's why I figure now is a good time to get a deal from a dealership because they aren't moving many cars at all right now haha

Yea it is almost a rhetorical question but I say almost because money talks. If I'm going to lose 20g or something crazy then hell no. if they come back with decent figures I'll have to think hard about it. I still have to test drive one! So I'll to see what noises to watch out for and stuff...etc. It is a certified pre-owned so it's like 10k off new.

I really like my '17 like I said, I've never owned a car so new, let alone a mustang (newest stang was a '98 in 2006, then all foxes there after lol). Just with it also being a family car and trip car I don't know what to do as it would be more convenient for the wife although she doesn't think I should. Plus traffic. As for rowing gears I can take it or leave it. Haven't had a manual since 2016 (was an '85 fox), been driving autos since. I wonder if I just got lazy even though I do enjoy it. Like I said I do love my car.

I guess I should test drive one first :crazy:. Sorry, idle hands and nothing to do being locked up inside for weeks is a big culprit here :headbang:

Reactions: Ebm

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Actually we've been on lockdown for a month. schools closed, non essential services closed, no groups of 5 people or more or you get fined. people working from home or on E.I ...etc. That's why I figure now is a good time to get a deal from a dealership because they aren't moving many cars at all right now haha

Yea it is almost a rhetorical question but I say almost because money talks. If I'm going to lose 20g or something crazy then hell no. if they come back with decent figures I'll have to think hard about it. I still have to test drive one! So I'll to see what noises to watch out for and stuff...etc. It is a certified pre-owned so it's like 10k off new.

I really like my '17 like I said, I've never owned a car so new, let alone a mustang (newest stang was a '98 in 2006, then all foxes there after lol). Just with it also being a family car and trip car I don't know what to do as it would be more convenient for the wife although she doesn't think I should. Plus traffic. As for rowing gears I can take it or leave it. Haven't had a manual since 2016 (was an '85 fox), been driving autos since. I wonder if I just got lazy even though I do enjoy it. Like I said I do love my car.

I guess I should test drive one first :crazy:. Sorry, idle hands and nothing to do being locked up inside for weeks is a big culprit here :headbang:
It's actually not a good time to buy a car right now unless you're just straight up buying it. Why you may wonder? Because trade in values have taken a complete bath. Sales are down 60%, and there's a ton of lease returns waiting to enter the market. Used car auctions can't move right now either. So dealers have a very large incentive to not take in more inventory right now, since they have no idea when they can sell it.

Think about it for a few months and wait.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I totally understand. I like to follow the car auctions on BAT. I put an impulse bid on a completely unpractical car that I had no place to keep and my wife would kill me. Luckily I was outbid. Being locked up for weeks can make you do dumb things.

Reactions: Ebm

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

My main reasons are:
Its so much quicker

I'm with you on the supercharged engine thing. While it would be fun, it's also mostly limited to higher speed pulls or a prepped drag strip. A 600+ rwtq M6? Good luck trying to hook just right every time from a dig.

Anyway, my vote is go for it. I love my A10.

Sammy Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3 Shadow Black
Both my brother and I traded our cars for mustangs recently, he went with a new 2019 a10 PP, I went with a low miles used Roush stage 3 M6, we both work in the healthcare industry so we have plenty of work now, more to come. If your finance line up right, literally YOLO it, we're all gonna die from one thing or another eventually, right? :)

jwaked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jalal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10, 2017 Chevy SS Sedan 6MT
I am a manual guy, but recently bought a 19 A10 purely for racing more often. I have had automatic cars in the past, 911 turbo S, GTR, etc and sold them because stick is way more fun, slower but way more fun. Now I bought an A10 because I drive a 2020 Ram everyday, with 2 kids and work little time for the toy, and when I drive is to play with other cars or track so since I will be racing more than cruising I got the A10 now, goals are low 10s and next year low 9s so the A10 was a must.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am a manual guy, but recently bought a 19 A10 purely for racing more often. I have had automatic cars in the past, 911 turbo S, GTR, etc and sold them because stick is way more fun, slower but way more fun. Now I bought an A10 because I drive a 2020 Ram everyday, with 2 kids and work little time for the toy, and when I drive is to play with other cars or track so since I will be racing more than cruising I got the A10 now, goals are low 10s and next year low 9s so the A10 was a must.
How the A10 compare to a GTR or a 911 turbo S I never drove the A10 but I did drive a 2015 GTR and the GTR is on a different planet than the Mustang I think. What made you buy a Mustang after such cars ?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Go test drive an S550 with the 10R80.

And here’s how to do it:
Take it on a local highway (don’t do the stupid “let’s go around the block test drive at 35mph”) as most Salesman do to get a quick deal going ...

Start out the drive with the Trans selector in “D” and flog on it, take it up to 75+ if local speed limits allow it.

Then put the trans in “S” - and do the same...

Then do it again in Drive Mode “Sport” and Trans Mode “S”.

After you do the above, do post pics of your purchase, because you will end up buying it after you get a feel for the potential of the A10.

:devil:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
How the A10 compare to a GTR or a 911 turbo S I never drove the A10 but I did drive a 2015 GTR and the GTR is on a different planet than the Mustang I think. What made you buy a Mustang after such cars ?
You didn't ask me, but I sold my Porsche 997.2 because I didn't want to deal with the potential expense of bore scoring or PDK replacement. The probability is low, but the cost of those two repairs exceeds the value of the car. I typically buy 7 - 8 year old, high-end performance cars. But, the maintenance and repair costs and potential catastrophic failure can get to you after awhile. The Mustang with a warranty and relatively low maintenance costs gives me a breather. So, I'll keep it for a couple years then go looking for something used and more exotic. The A10 compares pretty well against the PDK, It doesn't shift quite as quick in manual mode and does a little more hunting for the right gear is some situations. Part of that behavior is due to having 10 speeds instead of 7, so the ranges are closer together. The A10 has more modes and more options than the PDK. It's an excellent transmission and much less likely to fail than the PDK. If it does it won't cost $20k to replace.

Last edited:

Mhanna5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Go test drive an S550 with the 10R80.

And here’s how to do it:
Take it on a local highway (don’t do the stupid “let’s go around the block test drive at 35mph”) as most Salesman do to get a quick deal going ...

Start out the drive with the Trans selector in “D” and flog on it, take it up to 75+ if local speed limits allow it.

Then put the trans in “S” - and do the same...

Then do it again in Drive Mode “Sport” and Trans Mode “S”.

After you do the above, do post pics of your purchase, because you will end up buying it after you get a feel for the potential of the A10.

:devil:

^^^^ This. This is exactly what I did, and why I purchased it that day. Had no real intention otherwise. This made my 2011 GT feel incredibly slow and lacking. This will make the sale.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
And don't forget that the A10 comes standard with the really cool remote start feature. Open the garage door and hit the remote start while standing outside and yikes!! This allows for pretreatment of available heated and cooled seating which adds to the surprise and delight of ownership.

CrimsonRocket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2014 Magnetic Mustang V6, 2019 Race Red GT convertible
You won't looks back. I've had 3 mustangs and the 2019 GT A10 -PP1 is the best one yet. Yes, one of the reasons I got the A10 was also so the wife can drive it. I have the 401a and AA and magneride. If you can afford it, those options do make a big difference.

But when you test drive, do yourself a favor and do the normal crap, but put it into 'track mode', put the shift lever to S. and turn down the exhaust volume to "normal". The car is a different beast.
Sponsored