Debating headers

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
So I’m at a crossroad as of now I have palm beach dyno tune , mbrp cat back and injen cold air intake. Just would like some opinions if catted headers are worth all the headaches of installing. And what’s the average gains.

also debating on swapping to awe touring exhaust.
Sponsored

ShaneFromLethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
So I’m at a crossroad as of now I have palm beach dyno tune , mbrp cat back and injen cold air intake. Just would like some opinions if catted headers are worth all the headaches of installing. And what’s the average gains.

Hey Ty! So if you're going from stocker headers to aftermarket catted headers, there isn't much of a gain, it basically a stock replacement at that point. You would see more of a difference with an offroad system, better air flow, better sounding, and more of a gain. If you have any inquiries, just let me know!

XakwardX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2021 gt magnetic grey

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My vote is no, especially if your locale is serious about smog testing. Catted headers are worth about 10rwhp over the OEM parts.

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt

If I had to do it over again , i may not have went long tubes ( not for any issues other than exhaust note has been harder to get to my liking ). Can't go wrong with the AWE catback. Are you or can you go E85 in your area ?? The 4.09 gears and e85 PBD tune were my favorite and best investments.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Even catted long tubes are worth it if tuning for them imo, especially if able to pair with e85 in the tune.

As for the AWE, it's a great way to go, both sound and build quality. I had Corsa Xtremes that sounded great stock. Added long tubes and the tone got too trumpety (no problem with the volume). Added a pair of vibrants to clean up the tone and it did and also brought down volume some. Ultimately, I cut off the Corsa mufflers and Vibrants and added the AWE Touring rear section to the double x mated to long tubes. My favorite sounding setup on this build so far. No trumpety tone, still no drone, more character in the lower rpms and still screams up top. If you went full AWE Touring catback with the resonated H it would be just a tad quieter and lower pitched even with the headers than mine but would sound great and quality. Side note, their black diamond tips look great too.

OP
OP
Justgonna send it

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
If I had to do it over again , i may not have went long tubes ( not for any issues other than exhaust note has been harder to get to my liking ). Can't go wrong with the AWE catback. Are you or can you go E85 in your area ?? The 4.09 gears and e85 PBD tune were my favorite and best investments.
I am tuned for flex and e85.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Too much hassle. Wouldn't remove factory cats from a late model car.... Once we pass 25yrs old in Texas, they become exempt from smog inspection, so then it's no holds barred. Otherwise, nah, for a tiny hp increase? Waste of $ and a pile of headaches.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
He steered you correctly above. If you're keeping the cats, don't bother. Especially if you don't like the sound. If you're keeping the cats, that's about the ONLY reason to do them (improved sound).

With cats, the contribution from the LT's is going to be muted and if you're smart, you'll never run enough power for it to ever be a big contributor (high hp burns up and melts cats at some point).

So if you do go LT's, go offroad/catless. Or don't do them.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Dont do them unless you are going for over 750 rwhp with boost imo.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Dont do them unless you are going for over 750 rwhp with boost imo.
I am leaving my stockers for now, and way over that. I have an emissions test coming up this year. I may do headers after that.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i mean ive got some pypes catted headers and only issue i had was one of the cats had loose material like the whole substrate stuff became loose and they replaced it, but once installed i havent really looked back, sounds great, def picked up some top end, i still smog every year without issue, granted i dont have inspections but for like $700-800 i would easily do it again. now with that being said there are def mods that are worth more than headers but my experience was mostly great
Sponsored