Dealership messed up oil change

Jay777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maninder
Vehicle(s)
2015 2.3l EcoBoost
First time posting here , so i got a oil change back in april on 2020 mustang gt pp1 and drove about 5000kms afterwards . Never checked the oil level ( my bad i know). Just checked the oil level this week because its due for oil change and it was lower than the bottom hole on dipstick. I immediately realized that ford fucked up and put in 8qts instead of 10 qts on last oil change. Called in and they confirmed that they indeed did fuck up. Is it Possible that i did damage something all this time driving on low engine oil ? I do remember redlining it 2-3 times but rest of the times it was just regular driving.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You are fine.

That said I'd ask for some compensation, like free oil changes or an extended warranty.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Faults with low oil or oil circulation are often immediate, so you should be fine.

I check engine fluids and tire pressures (with a gauge) once a month. Just from cleaning the car and other things, I often look around for leaks or things which are not wearing well. Recommend you do something similar.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
A funny story... i got my 18 used w/11k miles. test drove, all seemed good. after all said and done got it home, and checked oil and it was 2 qts low. I called dealer and they confirmed they put 8 not 10. So it was prob beat on from the dealer and test drives etc... Mine had a 2k rattle, Ford could fix/explain what happened but i got a new engine out of it. So it may or may not have caused this idk. Just keep eye on it, drive the snot out of it while in warranty and report asap if any issues. I have a 2k rattle post on here... it was quit the thread... good luck!

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
One other thing, MAKE them check the transmission fluid if its an A10. Mine was 2 quarts low there as well. I mean make them get pics of the dip stick before and after.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Same thing happened to me on my first oil change but I caught it when they handed me the bill. It said 8 quarts and I gave them Hell right there. They took it back in and added 2 more. hasn't been a problem since thankfully. But I always check my bill and check the oil the same or next day to be safe.

As long as you could see oil on the dipstick I'm sure its fine but yeah you should check the oil in your car regularly in any case.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I heard about this problem before. Why are they not putting in the correct amount? why is it always 8 quarts they put in?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I heard about this problem before. Why are they not putting in the correct amount? why is it always 8 quarts they put in?
Its because the Gen 2 used 8 and they didn't get the memo for the gen 3 I guess.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
One sure solution is bring your own oil and filter, which I always do to my indy shop, and watch them do it. Still don't trust dealers since their techs are on time limits with servicing.

Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
I had the opposite happen to me on my 2016. I brought in my own oil and filter. I showed them the 2 5qt bottles and the filter. All is done, he hands me the keys, go to the car and don't see any signs of the bottle with the extra 2qts left over. Go back in thinking maybe they just forgot to put in the car and ask the Service Mgr. to ask the tech. He tells me they put in all 10 qts! I was not happy. Told them to empty it all out, put the correct amount back in (no charge) and I'm NEVER coming back.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Obviously, check 15+ mins after you get home from oil change. And then bi-weekly for me. I don't think you did any damage with 8qts.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Or, you burnt 2 quarts between changes.

That can happen.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
A funny story... i got my 18 used w/11k miles. test drove, all seemed good. after all said and done got it home, and checked oil and it was 2 qts low. I called dealer and they confirmed they put 8 not 10. So it was prob beat on from the dealer and test drives etc... Mine had a 2k rattle, Ford could fix/explain what happened but i got a new engine out of it. So it may or may not have caused this idk. Just keep eye on it, drive the snot out of it while in warranty and report asap if any issues. I have a 2k rattle post on here... it was quit the thread... good luck!
Curious now, 2 qts low is pretty far off. Am I wrong in thinking that this should have trigger the oil light?

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Curious now, 2 qts low is pretty far off. Am I wrong in thinking that this should have trigger the oil light?
I would have thought so but no lights were on. I just happen to check it.
Sponsored