Sponsored

Dealer put in wrong oil

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Taken my car to dealer a few times, first oil change ever I found it odd my invoice said customer requests 10 quarts of oil, when the manual clearly states 10 qts. Fast forward a few oil changes later, some of which I had taken to a private shop to do.

Last weekend, after an oil change at dealer, I noticed oil pressure was significantly higher at idle, I didn't grab my invoice so I couldnt verify the oil used, but the manual clearly states 5w-20. Had the general tick that follows an oil change, but this tick was a little different, and it wouldnt go away after driving hard at high RPM. Yesterday, get my invoice in the mail that details out what was done, and saw they used 5w50.

Why do I think thats bad for a tuned only vehicle? 5-50 gets thin at 225 degrees, my cyclinder head temp hovers around 195-200, the pressure relief valves kicks in faster with this heavy ass oil, cutting down the flow rate to boot.

Had to take the car back today, service advisor, thought I was wrong until he checked the computer and was baffled how it happened they did a free 5-20 change while I watched. Make sure you guys pay attention to what the dealer is putting in. Too thin a oil increases wear, as can to thick an oil. For a daily driver that is not at the track, it's way to heavy an oil.
Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
In general, dealers suck. That's why I took mine too a specialty shop, specified redline, and paid way more than an oil change should cost. At least I know it was done right.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
That's why I buy my motor craft oil change kit from k-man oil on line and bring it to a very good oil change spot near me.they charge n me 20 bucks to use my oil.i watch them put it in.im too old to do my own change anymore. Btw Shelby uses 5w50,that's what confused them.
BTW 5w50 is 50 % more expensive,so they owe you money for using the wrong oil.diff in price for change kit of 10qts is 30 bucks.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
make sure you guys pay attention to what the dealer is putting in.
Haven't done that in decades. Stopped using dealers for anything but warranty work I can't do myself in '73 for this and similar reasons.

Sorry it happened to you. You can also be grateful they put oil in at all or the right amount. That's just as common and even worse. Not to mention, leaking filters, dents and scratches. even wrecked cars. Odds may be low but a SOB when they hit.

You can do it yourself in less time. You can drive up and down your ramps in less time than driving it to and from the dealer.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Another vote for changing your own oil.

It's easy, and if it gets screwed up, it's on me and no one else:)

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Another vote for changing your own oil.

It's easy, and if it gets screwed up, it's on me and no one else:)
Yep, then if I want to talk to the dumba$$ that screwed up I just need to look in the mirror. ;)

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It is a 15-20 minute do yourself job w/ 2 jack stands and cheap quick jack. Plus I prefer a full synthetic vs blend.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if they fat-fingered the entry. Perhaps they typed a "5" instead of a "2'. The problem with changing your own oil is if it's under warranty and develops an oil-related issue.

I prefer to do my own as well. Way faster, cheaper and no scapegoats.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I buy my motor craft oil change kit from k-man oil on line and bring it to a very good oil change spot near me.they charge n me 20 bucks to use my oil.i watch them put it in.im too old to do my own change anymore.
When you are closing in on 70, crawling under a low slung Mustang isn’t my idea of fun. Now if I had a lift, then no problems!

Sponsored

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
I wonder if they fat-fingered the entry. Perhaps they typed a "5" instead of a "2'. The problem with changing your own oil is if it's under warranty and develops an oil-related issue.......
As long as there is documentation as to the oil and filter that was put in and the mileage, warranty should not be an issue.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As long as there is documentation as to the oil and filter that was put in and the mileage, warranty should not be an issue.
How would you provide that? You show you bought oil and a filter, but what did you do with it?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The problem with changing your own oil is if it's under warranty and develops an oil-related issue.
How would you provide that? You show you bought oil and a filter, but what did you do with it?
Ford lets you document maintenance done by anyone on the Ford Owner site. On the date you do anything (or soon after) list the mileage, what was done, the materials used and their cost, labor costs and who did the labor (if not DIY), the oil life number (at least for oil changes). Been doing that for Fords bought since at least 2010.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you are closing in on 70, crawling under a low slung Mustang isn’t my idea of fun. Now if I had a lift, then no problems!
Sheet of cardboard and ramps. It's not too awful.

Lifted.JPG

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford lets you document maintenance done by anyone on the Ford Owner site. On the date you do anything (or soon after) list the mileage, what was done, the materials used and their cost, labor costs and who did the labor (if not DIY), the oil life number (at least for oil changes). Been doing that for Fords bought since at least 2010.
Still doesn't prove the oil and filter were used on the Mustang. No, thanks. I'll take a receipt from an ASE-certified shop.
Sponsored