Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had the local Ford dealer do the 1st oil change around 1,100 miles a month ago. Just checked the oil for the 1st time since and the level is about 4mm above the upper dipstick hole. Does anyone know how far above is a real issue? The car has done 800 miles since the oil change.

The next question is whether I take it back there and ask them to remove some or do it myself. I'm inclined to the former as I don't have an easy way to let a small amount of oil out and I want them to see the issue.
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I had the local Ford dealer do the 1st oil change around 1,100 miles a month ago. Just checked the oil for the 1st time since and the level is about 4mm above the upper dipstick hole. Does anyone know how far above is a real issue? The car has done 800 miles since the oil change.

The next question is whether I take it back there and ask them to remove some or do it myself. I'm inclined to the former as I don't have an easy way to let a small amount of oil out and I want them to see the issue.
The oil pours out really fast on these cars. I'd suggest rather than deal with it yourself you take it back and have some taken out and check before you leave that its at the proper amount. I'm sure some one hear will chime in so I don't know if it would hurt anything to leave it alone a little overfilled.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Don't use the drain plug to remove oil. Loosing oil filter, and remove the amount from oil filter if needed. If you fill uneasy about retighting oil filter, buy a new one.
If oil is hitting crankshaft you could have some foaming issues in oil.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would just leave it. My assumption is that they put the correct amount of oil in there. The 5w 50 only comes in individual quart bottles AFAIK and I doubt they would spend the extra to put too many quarts in there. Unless they put in the entirely wrong oil, which would surprise me.

Anyway, being slightly overfilled isn't a big deal.

IF you do decide to drain some oil I would do it from the drain plug. But you will have to hold pressure on it and loosen a very slight amount and then be ready to tighten it again. I disagree with draining from the filter. That would make too much of a mess. Draining from the plug is a lot easier to control and then to clean up.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Just checked the oil for the 1st time since and the level is about 4mm above the upper dipstick hole. Does anyone know how far above is a real issue? The car has done 800 miles since the oil change.
Unless the 800 miles was a single trip, I think you’re taking a chance not checking the oil more frequently with this car.

Not necessarily for an accurate level, just to make sure oil registers on the stick.

There’s been many “I can’t believe my GT350 was 4 (or more) quarts down” threads and posts over the years.

Sponsored

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Yes, removing a small amount of oil, yourself, is courting a mess! Let the dealership do it. Your dealer may have overfilled it, but maybe not. However, the only "accurate" way to check your "full" oil level on the dip stick is this: Drain the old oil, installing a new filter, put in 10 quarts of oil, and after a brief warm up, let it sit for about ten minutes. Then check the dip stick and see where the level is. That will be your "full" and correct oi level. I scribed a small mark on my dipstick to show "full". Dipsticks can be inaccurate, so you need to know where the oil level is on YOUR dipstick after a proper oil change. From then on, you'll know where your full level is on the dipstick. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to drain all the oil, replace the oil filter, and have them put in 10 quarts. Then mark your "full" spot on the dipstick and you're good to go.

HEP#15

If you remove oil I'd use one of these vacuum pumps. You can get these on Amazon but this is the one Blackstone sells to pull oil samples to send to them.....which I highly recommend if you want to know what is going on inside the engine. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303

I assume you checked when the car was new and the full level was not that high? Just asking because the full dipstick level can be a little different for each car, also needs to be checked under the same conditions, cold will be different than hot.The important thing is to know the full level for YOUR car and always check under the same conditions.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yes, removing a small amount of oil, yourself, is courting a mess! Let the dealership do it. Your dealer may have overfilled it, but maybe not. However, the only "accurate" way to check your "full" oil level on the dip stick is this: Drain the old oil, installing a new filter, put in 10 quarts of oil, and after a brief warm up, let it sit for about ten minutes. Then check the dip stick and see where the level is. That will be your "full" and correct oi level. I scribed a small mark on my dipstick to show "full". Dipsticks can be inaccurate, so you need to know where the oil level is on YOUR dipstick after a proper oil change. From then on, you'll know where your full level is on the dipstick. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to drain all the oil, replace the oil filter, and have them put in 10 quarts. Then mark your "full" spot on the dipstick and you're good to go.
I disagree. If you are handy and confident with a wrench and can elevate the front end of the car safely you can partially drain it- I have done it.

do it cold and use a 3/8 extension to loosen the plug and pull it out a little until the oil starts to come out at a small rate and take your time. After some drains simply push the plug back on and wipe the oil off and you are good.

I have done this to collect an oil sample from my car

again, not impossible with patience

sagonzal2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
I would just leave it. My assumption is that they put the correct amount of oil in there. The 5w 50 only comes in individual quart bottles AFAIK and I doubt they would spend the extra to put too many quarts in there. Unless they put in the entirely wrong oil, which would surprise me.

Anyway, being slightly overfilled isn't a big deal.

IF you do decide to drain some oil I would do it from the drain plug. But you will have to hold pressure on it and loosen a very slight amount and then be ready to tighten it again. I disagree with draining from the filter. That would make too much of a mess. Draining from the plug is a lot easier to control and then to clean up.

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I realize that since I'm pro dealer in these discussions, I find it hard to believe that even the most incompetent oil change jockey can pour over 10 quarts out of 10 quart cans of oil and over fill. I've noticed that when I check my oil it is hard to get a decent reading because of the oil scraping off the tube onto the dipstick in and out. Curious if the oil is checked after sitting overnight on a flat surface. Plus .157 inch over, come on. That hardly classifies as over filled.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I realize that since I'm pro dealer in these discussions, I find it hard to believe that even the most incompetent oil change jockey can pour over 10 quarts out of 10 quart cans of oil and over fill. I've noticed that when I check my oil it is hard to get a decent reading because of the oil scraping off the tube onto the dipstick in and out. Curious if the oil is checked after sitting overnight on a flat surface. Plus .157 inch over, come on. That hardly classifies as over filled.
they could have overfilled it or not allowed all the old oil to drain out. However, you do make a great point and that is to check it 2 or 3 times after it’s shut down for 15 minutes to see where it’s at.
Mine is usually right in center of the top hole

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
I agree, 4mm really!

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I disagree. If you are handy and confident with a wrench and can elevate the front end of the car safely you can partially drain it- I have done it.

do it cold and use a 3/8 extension to loosen the plug and pull it out a little until the oil starts to come out at a small rate and take your time. After some drains simply push the plug back on and wipe the oil off and you are good.

I have done this to collect an oil sample from my car

again, not impossible with patience
My point was why do it yourself, risking a spill, when your issue is with the dealership's possible mistake? Most of us could drain off a given amount of oil, probably without too much of a spillage, but why not let the dealer do it, "IF" you trust them?
Sponsored