Daytona this weekend.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Today was a good day for the most part. The car ran spectacularly. However, my students car had a mishap. I finished my demo session and noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and saw a good sized fire going on in the rear of the engine compartment on the left side. I recalled where the fire bottle was immediately and ran over and proceeded to punch the "break glass in case of emergency" window. I extracted the extinguisher, pulled the pin, and filled the engine compartment with halon. The fire immediately went out. I coordinated with my dealership to send a flatbed tow truck and they came and got it. It was discovered that there was a leak in the brake reservoir. I do believe I saved his car.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow, a reflection on what I saw today was nothing short of incredible.

Billy Johnson was at Daytona this weekend. Anyone who has been understands how busy it is. Even though these greats, like Dean Martin, are working around you, you try to mind your business and let everyone focus on the busy agenda.

Billy, in his free time, came over to say hello and we chatted about this and that. I saw that he was not there in a driving capacity and offered up my car. I never was really including myself in that scenario until he suggested it. Wow, I got to see a professional work.

Unfortunately, the gopro cam took a dump and the telemetry didnt work either. I am extremely regretful that the "hurry up" to the event led to the tech failure.... I take the blame. What I witnessed was nothing short of incredible. Billy was a human DCT while somehow wrestled with a car that wanted to go out of control. Again, what I saw was nothing short of spectacular.

I will try to gather my thoughts, but wow, it is no wonder he is driving for Ford.

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, a reflection on what I saw today was nothing short of incredible.

Billy Johnson was at Daytona this weekend. Anyone who has been understands how busy it is. Even though these greats, like Dean Martin, are working around you, you try to mind your business and let everyone focus on the busy agenda.

Billy, in his free time, came over to say hello and we chatted about this and that. I saw that he was not there in a driving capacity and offered up my car. I never was really including myself in that scenario until he suggested it. Wow, I got to see a professional work.

Unfortunately, the gopro cam took a dump and the telemetry didnt work either. I am extremely regretful that the "hurry up" to the event led to the tech failure.... I take the blame. What I witnessed was nothing short of incredible. Billy was a human DCT while somehow wrestled with a car that wanted to go out of control. Again, what I saw was nothing short of spectacular.

I will try to gather my thoughts, but wow, it is no wonder he is driving for Ford.
So you let Billie take you for a ride?

I bet that opened your eyes some....

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
It is funny how we all think we're pretty good drivers till we get in the car with a true professional. I got my come-upence at Road Atlanta with Mike Renner from BMW. He drove an M-5 and did things with that car that I thought were impossible! Glad you got a ride with Mr. Johnson!

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I learned a lot. I have incorporated some of his techniques into mine.
WE have to talk or you can show me next time we see each other. Or next time you have a day for down time, I could meet you for an adult beverage on your side of town....

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It is funny how we all think we're pretty good drivers till we get in the car with a true professional. I got my come-upence at Road Atlanta with Mike Renner from BMW. He drove an M-5 and did things with that car that I thought were impossible! Glad you got a ride with Mr. Johnson!
Just speaking to Billy while at the track, I learned a few things. Great guy to speak to and he loves these cars. Daytona was my 1st track session with my new R. Billy came over numerous times to ask how I was doing. Really liked that about him.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Side question here. It's not quite related, but I had this issue at Daytona, and have never seen it at Sebring, so maybe someone has two cents they can chime in with.

On my last session at Daytona, I had an insteresting issue with AdvancedTrac similar to what is seen here in this post:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...arning-temporarily-showed-this-morning.79463/

image-jpg.jpg

Luckily it was my last session and lap, so I just rolled in to the pits. It seems to disable a number of things including any of the drive modes and Hill Assist. It stayed this way until I started driving out of the infield through the tunnel and away from the track. I had to get on the highway so I refueled and headed out. But by the time I got on the highway, everything was normal again. I had all the drive modes and hill assist again.

I don't think it's a temperature issue, since this day never went over 70F, and I have tracked at Sebring in 90 degree days without this issue.

I think I read on another forum that maybe this has to do with the banked turns or fuel starvation at Daytona, but have not gotten evidence for that.

Anyone else have this issue or have seen something similar? It has not come back since that day,so at the very least I could probably say it's related to my track day.

Had same issue with mine, 2nd and 3rd sessions. Having owned the 2016 GT350 and tracking Daytona in 2017, learned the trick of driving around after session to have "computer" reset itself.

Back in 2017, @Tomster and I had that issue along with others. Being the car was "new" no one knew what to do. Someone at the track drove around the infield and figured it out. We all took his advice that day!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If you use forscan, you can reset the system instead of driving around. I believe it happened to me twice in three days.

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
@16Kobra @Tomster Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep an eye on it. I had weird issues sorta like this on my 16 GT PP with the backup camera.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@16Kobra @Tomster Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep an eye on it. I had weird issues sorta like this on my 16 GT PP with the backup camera.
Its normal, its a glitch that occurs at Daytona and there is nothing wrong with your car.
Sponsored